Page 59 of 596 FirstFirst ... 93449565758596061626984109159559 ... LastLast

• Minion

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Yep, the owls are real too. (It's really only one owl, but that one hoot was overdubbed to seem like two.)

• Inhospitable about happy

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Dormammu View Post
    There really hasn't been a change to the costumes overall look, however, there have been smaller changes.

I have two costumes, one from 1980s and another from 1990s. The one from 1980 is made of a cotton/wool blend and sports a tailored cut (favoring a specific look).
    The one from the 90s is still cotton/wool, but some pieces were starting to be converted to polyester. It is still the slimmer cut, but the poly pieces were more of a "classic" cut.
    The new costume, is essentially a cotton/poly blend, with the distasteful "classic" cut.

This info is probably well known, but I thought I'd offer the information I had to the discussion.
    Thanks for unlurking and giving us the info, which certainly is NOT well known to most Mansionites.

Before dropping the subject of costumes, I'll point out that Surrell has these renderings of Tokyo Disneyland's Butler and Maid outfits.

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Ghost View Post
    Interesting post on your blog. More detail than I've ever read before. However, I found one claim puzzling:

"Caw-caw. At least the caws were well done. They were voiced by "Candy" Candido, the go-to guy for basso profundo in cases where even Thurl Ravenscroft couldn't get low enough. Candy must have had freakin' bridge cables for vocal chords. Anyway, he could also caw with the best of them. He did the raven in Sleeping Beauty and got to do it again ten years later for the Haunted Mansion."

Huh? The raven is not a deep-voiced character at all (at least not in any of the recording sessions I have). Rather it was someone with a much higher-pitched and irritating voice, with just a hint of an old man in there (sounds just like Dal McKennon's Old Man in the Graveyard scene). Then there were Eleanor Audley's outtakes, and Robie Lester's version on the Lp, none of which was basso profundo. So where did the idea that Candy Candido did the voice for the raven come from?
    The caw used in the attraction is a real bird. Not certain if it's a crow or raven, but a real bird nonetheless.
    Quote Originally Posted by HMfanatic View Post
    I'd been under the impression all the animal sounds in the HM were supplied by human voice artists - and that Candy Candido had done the raven since he supplied it for "Sleeping Beauty" as well. But now you've got me wondering if that is really the case, since it does sound much like a real raven's caw. Wonder if that's the case for the owls' hoots too...
    Yep, the owls are real too. (It's really only one owl, but that one hoot was overdubbed to seem like two.)
    Point by point.

The Candy Candido = raven thing is something I just recently learned from one of the Disney books in my brother's library. I'll try to find the source later this afternoon, and I'll probably add an "according to xyz" to the post. As for whether or not Candy could do it, read again what I said in the quoted excerpt. I say nothing about his low register that connects it with the raven. According to one source, "Candy Candido had a trick voice that he was able change from soprano, alto, tenor, and he even had a bass that was a few keys lower than the lowest keys on the piano" (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0133752/bio). Candy's astonishing range is amply demonstrated in this video:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5fuuGSguk4]YouTube - Candy Candido Comedy Vocal with Ted Fio Rita & His Orchestra[/ame]

What is your source for live bird sounds being used in the HM? I'm not disputing it, but it's the sort of claim that requires some support since it is intrinsically unlikely. It's so much quicker and easier to use a human voice artist, especially for "easy" birds like owls and ravens.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

• Minion

Standard sound effects library material, still in use today in many movies and TV shows. Heard it the other day in a rerun episode of "Bones".

Okay, here it is. This is in the middle of a discussion of the voice artists in the HM graveyard scene.

"Actor/musician Candy Candido lent a gravelly voice to the hooded executioner, as well as creating the piercing cries of the resident raven (as he had done ten years earlier for Maleficent's 'familiar' in Sleeping Beauty)."
    —Stacia Martin, The Sounds of Disneyland (Disney, 2005), p. 31.

The misattribution of the deep voice to the executioner is a very common error. It's actually the voice of Gus. There are other errors in the book too, so this raven report should not necessarily be taken as Holy Writ. Still, Martin's report must be given its proper weight, since she must have gotten this information from some source at Disney.

Pure speculation, but after listening to that Candy video above with my eyes closed, I wonder if it's possible that he was the raven on the "Story and Song" album? The identity of that voice artist has been an ongoing mystery. If it was Candy, that could explain Martin's report, which may have confused the current raven track in the ride with the raven track on the S&S record—if in fact the raven in the ride is a real raven from the sound effects library, as GG maintains.

To add to the confusion, no one seems to know if the unused talking raven dialogue for the ride was ever recorded. I'm talking about a polished, final or near-final form rather than scrappy voice tests by Eleanor Audley and X. Atencio, of which we have a few outtakes. If the narrative raven tracks for the ride were recorded, there's no reason to suppose the voice artist was the same person as the one on the S&S album. We could have yet a third raven out there (and if so, it could be that Candy is that one).

On a different topic, I've located the source for the idea that the HBG was a hatter. Several years ago, Doombuggies.com had a little roundup of fan fiction that some CM's used to use to explain the background of the HM.

This hasn't been on the DB site for quite awhile. Needless to say, this kind of material has little weight.
    Last edited by HBG2; 07-29-2010 at 01:33 PM.

Yeah I'm thinking maybe it was him as the Story and Song raven.

Also, remember the thing about Dal McKennon possibly being the stretching room screamer? Could be him on the Story and Song album.

That was a great clip featuring Candy Candido - fascinating to hear how he could vascilate so quickly between the high/low voices like that. I decided to check out his other roles on IMBD afterward, and was really surprised to find he *wasn't* the voice behind the "Wizard of Oz" apple tree like I'd always thought. (Although it does mention his being the apple tree in some TV version I've never seen.) Instead an Abe Dinovitch supplied that film version voice and it's remarkable how much he was able to replicate Candy's gutteral tones.
    Last edited by HMfanatic; 07-29-2010 at 02:30 PM.

• knower of useless info

the version with the murdered bride and jealous husband (i do not particularly remember any mention of the hbg, not particularly surprising since he was so short-lived!) was the one i was told by an excellent cast member when i was... oh eight or nine, i think? it was my second attempt to get on the ride (the first time, at six, i stepped into the stretching room and as the doors closed and everyone quieted down, i threw such an incredible fit of terror that they stopped the elevator and took us back up so me and my aunt could exit... i am both ashamed and delighted by this memory) and i believe my aunt had asked him to tell me the story of the ride so i could be more prepared.

it worked! and it's been my favorite since.
    Last edited by craaash; 07-29-2010 at 03:34 PM. Reason: overuse of the word particularly!

• Minion

The "Story and Song" album raven is clearly Robie Lester.

The recording that Tony Baxter referred to in a video is a bootleg recording wherein the person actually said "Caw! Caw!" rather than try to imitate a raven. That is the one that sounds like the Old Man in the Graveyard scene, and leads me to believe it was Dal McKennon.

As far as the ride versions of the raven and owls, why bother spending time and money to record a human imitating them when they could simply grab it right from their existing sound effects library? It makes no sense. It's the same two caws heard over and over again, just edited together in various ways. However, I'm reasonably certain they used a crow instead of a raven.

I know the owls are genuine from the noise in the background of the recording - it was difficult to remove. I never did get all the hiss out of that one.

The "Story and Song" album raven is clearly Robie Lester.
    Why do you think so?

• Minion

Robie Lester had a very distinctive way of speaking, with a hint of a Canadian accent. So does the raven. The raven speaks in exactly the same manner as Robie does, but just in a higher register. If you listen to the Storyteller album of "The Aristocats", the same speech patterns even come through in her French accent as Duchess. Also, after listening to both albums for forty years, I know her voice very well!

There are other instances of Robie filling in for other characters on records, but naturally I can't recall which off the top of my head... If I think of them I'll edit the post.

EDIT: Duh! She also plays the kitten "Toulouse", the horse "Fru-Fru" (sp?), and Madame Adelaide Bonfamille in the Aristocats Storyteller.
    Last edited by Grinning Ghost; 07-29-2010 at 05:01 PM.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Speaking as we are of recording sessions for the various HM's and records: once upon a time, I made a seperate thread regarding the possibility Vincent Price's laughter (recorded for Phantom Manor) coming to the Anaheim Mansion, and whether or not folks thought his immediately recognizable laugh should have a home there. I find it easy to imagine his disembodied laugh taking up residence in the Corridor of Doors, or in the graveyard, emenating from a specific tomb, or dare I say it, he might provide the demented laughter of the HBG himself if materializes and finds voice (less likely since a new HBG would probably be voiced by whomever gets cast for the del Toro film).

What say you, should Master Price, horror legend that he is, join the cast of the 999 happy haunts in some format?

• Minion

My vote is an emphatic yes for Vincent Price.

• knower of useless info

My vote is an emphatic yes for Vincent Price.
    seconded!

• Lurker in the Shadows

Third... ed? That would be awesome.

• Banned User

That old dark house at the end of the dimly lit street.

Quote Originally Posted by CaitlinMcFly View Post
    The only one I know of for sure is the kids first ride certificate, which reads "I escaped becoming the 1000th ghost!" with the kid's name. I believe it's signed "Master Gracey," but I can't be sure as I haven't seen one in a while.
    Going back to an older topic (one page ago), I realized that I was mistaken, WDW gave out the honorary caretaker cards and I believe that DL gave these out:

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM