Page 63 of 585 FirstFirst ... 133853606162636465667388113163563 ... LastLast

• Larger Than (After)Life

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Ghost View Post
    Yeah, just how did you get the cents symbol? I've been trying to figure that one out for years!
    For any symbol, Windows Character Map (under Accessories) will give you the keystrokes, depending on the font you and/or the site is using. When I don't understand the codes, I use Character Map's copy key and, then, paste the symbol into whatever I'm typing.

The trick is to use the same or a very similar font as the website. Otherwise, the site won't recognize your symbol and it will appear as a square.

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    Hey, guess what? My blog made me some money last month! Yes indeed, Google deposited a whopping 38’ into my checking account. Ka-ching.
    I was booted from the Adsense program. They discriminate against ghosts — even ones with Social Security numbers.

So much for my pants fund.

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Quote Originally Posted by TheHatboxGhost View Post
    Thank you! (I was beginning to feel — uh — invisible.)

Your answer sparks another question: How is it then that some people happen to own authentic Haunted Mansion uniforms/wardrobe? Are current and/or former CMs allowed to purchase their costumes? Do they just make off with them? Does Disneyland hold staff/cast clothing sales occasionally and/or distribute/donate garments to consignment/thrift/secondhand shops (such as It's A Wrap), like some studios and prodcos?

Again, just wondering.
    As far as I know (and I'm pretty sure of it) Disney doesn't sell, rent, donate or give away any of the costume pieces. They destroy it if it's no longer serviceable specifically to keep it off the market.

The costume pieces and accessories you see on the resale market have all "walked away" from the theme park somehow or in the case of the CM's who take their costumes home daily they end up with items that "fall out of the inventory system" and they keep. Every piece has a unique barcode serial number label in it for tracking.

There are always ways to make things "fall off" the inventory - Scan it as returned for laundry and reissue, then throw it in your bag instead of in the dirty returns hamper-bag while nobody's watching.

It could happen honestly, as in you return yours and then find out they don't have fresh ones available in your size - so you dig yours out of the hamper again, and figure you can live with the little stain for the rest of the day. Or you report the jacket as "Lost or Stolen" when you stashed it in the break room as the day got warmer, and then it shows up again later as someone else realizes they (the M person) grabbed yours (the XL jacket) and it doesn't fit. But when that happens, you are supposed to turn it back in and "un-lost" it.

Feel free to buy the stuff used on the collector market, but no matter how floridly the try to explain away how they got their hands on it, and "it's totally legit!", it is far more likely than not the costume has (to be kind) a shady provenance. If you can still sleep at night after buying stolen repurposed property, that's your business.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• is too darn hot.

People sometimes hang onto their costumes when they leave the parks, which results in a "no rehire" status.
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

Were I to want a Haunted Mansion CM costume that badly, there are good tailors in L.A.'s garment district (Rolo on Los Angeles Street, for one — if they're still there) who can look at a photo and make both men's and women's wardrobe that would fit far better than anything purchased on the sly, and probably for A LOT less.

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Were I to want a Haunted Mansion CM costume that badly, there are good tailors in L.A.'s garment district (Rolo on Los Angeles Street, for one — if they're still there) who can look at a photo and make both men's and women's wardrobe that would fit far better than anything purchased on the sly, and probably for A LOT less.
    Exactly. They are nothing special if you look at the patterns, just Great Coats with Tails for men, and a fancy dress for the ladies. And not only better fitting and for less than buying a "real one" from a scalper, you could choose better materials. Disney tends to go with a lot of Polyesters and Synthetics so they'll wear longer, but Wool Blends for the coats and Cotton Blends are going to be so much more comfortable to wear.

The only tricky part I can see is going to be finding the right buttons.

But you do need a real tailor so they have proper linings and inner-facings in the vests and jackets and seam piping to make it a joy to wear all day. And double-line the shirt shoulders and cuffs and collars, and those million other details.

And you have the receipt. (And a few yards of spare fabric for repairs. When you find the right stuff, buy the whole bolt if you can.)

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• Sorcerer in Training

I think the shy gargoyl's girlfriend cheated on him.
    YouTube page: The Sorcerer's Lair

"And so you see the magic isn't just in the animated characters, it's also in all of us"
    -Drawn to the Magic

"Remember...dreams come true"
    -Julie Andrews

"Some imagination, huh?"
    -Mickey Mouse

"Dreams are make believe, till they all come true"
    -Fantasmic!

"Believe me: this is one of the most exciting and challenging things that we've ever tackled at Walt Disney Enterprises"
    -Walt Disney.

"Disney has helped bring out the magic in us. Now let's work together and help bring out the magic in others."
    -SorcererHero5571

• now that i see you ♥

Blog Entries

Hey, you pay me $150-$200 for materials and the money I need to fix my sewing machine, and I'll make you whatever you want custom. Piping, lining, french seams, secure pockets, ruffles, or otherwise tailoring of any sort is all extremely easy with some basic know-how, time to kill and Google as a backup plan.
    dreams. come. true.

• Minion

For any symbol, Windows Character Map (under Accessories) will give you the keystrokes, depending on the font you and/or the site is using. When I don't understand the codes, I use Character Map's copy key and, then, paste the symbol into whatever I'm typing.

The trick is to use the same or a very similar font as the website. Otherwise, the site won't recognize your symbol and it will appear as a square.
    Hmm, I seem to recall having an app similar to that for the Mac. Forgot all about it. Not sure if it's part of the Mac OS now or still some 3rd-party thing. I need to poke around and see. Thanks for reminding me!

• hatbox ghost believer

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Ghost View Post
    Hmm, I seem to recall having an app similar to that for the Mac. Forgot all about it. Not sure if it's part of the Mac OS now or still some 3rd-party thing. I need to poke around and see. Thanks for reminding me!
    The "Character Palette" has been standard in OS X since its inception methinks back in, OMG, has it been that long already, 2002. And, most Adobe products have a "Glyphs" palette as well, in their "Character" windows.
    Jon A. Leslie
    nojarama
    http://www.nojarama.com

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by nojarama View Post
    The "Character Palette" has been standard in OS X since its inception methinks back in, OMG, has it been that long already, 2002. And, most Adobe products have a "Glyphs" palette as well, in their "Character" windows.
    How interesting; I haven't stumbled upon one of them yet in OS X. Then again, I didn't know where to look, either, so I would just go with $.02 or spell out 'cents' just to save time. However, it turns out to be as simple as holding down the option key and hitting 4 on the Mac. Harder on Windows: Alt + 0162 just to get ’.

And I quote:
    "And you can bet Tony’s originally modest plan to add the Hatbox Ghost back to Haunted Mansion in ’09 will get a major budget boost, now that the high-profile Guillermo del Toro movie has gotten the greenlight."
    - Al Lutz

• now that i see you ♥

Blog Entries

I'm still gonna be cautiously optimistic about this one. I mean, I want the figure to go back in in any capacity, but who is to say when or how?
    Last edited by CaitlinMcFly; 08-05-2010 at 12:06 PM. Reason: I said waaaaaay more than I needed to. This is better.
    dreams. come. true.

• We Go On.

This is the only part that worries me (in bold):

And you can bet Tony’s originally modest plan to add the Hatbox Ghost back to Haunted Mansion in ’09 will get a major budget boost, now that the high-profile Guillermo del Toro movie has gotten the greenlight.

• Minion

Why does that bother you?

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM