Page 64 of 583 FirstFirst ... 143954616263646566677489114164564 ... LastLast

• We Go On.

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Movie tie ins. What if the Guillermo del Toro HBG has a different look, or even speaks? It wouldn't be too bad, but it wouldn't be too good either.

• Minion

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by WDITrent View Post
    Movie tie ins. What if the Guillermo del Toro HBG has a different look, or even speaks? It wouldn't be too bad, but it wouldn't be too good either.
    They're really aiming for the aesthetic of the ride for the designs though. Like going back to the Marc Davis, Claude Coats and Rolly Crump stuff for inspiration.
    Even the teaser poster they had at Comic-Con was a very ride-like version of the Hatbox Ghost.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by FigmentJedi View Post
    They're really aiming for the aesthetic of the ride for the designs though. Like going back to the Marc Davis, Claude Coats and Rolly Crump stuff for inspiration.
    Even the teaser poster they had at Comic-Con was a very ride-like version of the Hatbox Ghost.
    Yes, "ride-like", but it was not an exact likeness. That's something that really bugs me: This was an existing character with a very specific appearance. Why do "they" always feel the need to change it? That was my chief complaint about the first film (the lack of a good story was my secondary complaint). Nothing reproduced from the Mansion was an exact copy of what's actually there. Other than borrowing one actual gravestone from the ride, not one thing looked right. I have a feeling this new film is going to do the same thing.

That doesn't bother me at all. I think capturing the feel is more important than having exact replicas of stuff from the ride.

And other than being green, that promotional image of the hatbox ghost looks like the hatbox ghost. I seriously don't see the problem.

• Minion

In the movie's defense as far as character designs go, they did have to adapt characters so that they'd work as actors in make-up. The use of traditional methods in addition to CG was one of the niftier parts of the Murphy movie and I expect to see even more use of traditional means with del Toro's movie. Just imagine how many characters Doug Jones will get to play.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by SmellyOrangutan View Post
    That doesn't bother me at all. I think capturing the feel is more important than having exact replicas of stuff from the ride.

And other than being green, that promotional image of the hatbox ghost looks like the hatbox ghost. I seriously don't see the problem.
    In the poster, he has a more evil appearance, not like Blane Gibson's version. I like the look of the original better. I don't want an imposter or look-alike. The eyes just aren't right. If they're gonna show something (a room, character, prop) that looks like it came from the ride, then make it look like it actually did come from the ride. Not this stuff about capturing "the feel" of it. Save that for areas that we don't see in the ride(s). Make at least a couple of scenes look and feel as if they were filmed right inside the attraction itself.

• is too darn hot.

Characters evolve. The character as he existed in the attraction for a short time did not work. A new HBG in the Mansion needs to be a new concept.
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

• now that i see you ♥

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FigmentJedi View Post
    Just imagine how many characters Doug Jones will get to play.

This is SOOOO true. He will be our HBG...and probably like six or seven other characters as well.
    dreams. come. true.

• Inhospitable about happy

My phone line is still down, and the DSL part is only there sporadically, like now, for instance. First time today. They say they'll fer sure fer sure get a guy out here tomorrow before noon.

As for HBG2, I wouldn't pay much attention to that green poster. An Imagineer I know commented that it looked "pretty rough and quick," like it was whipped up on a Wacom (whatever that is). Anyway, it probably tells you next to nothing about the art direction of the film at this point, so chill.

Slight change of subject. A little factoid that I suppose all of us are interested in knowing. The resident "Yale Gracey" at WDI, the special effects wiz, is a fellow named John Gritz. He worked the magic for the Sleeping Beauty walk-thru, and he's done...other things...over the past few years. I guess he's pretty amazing. Anyway, a name worth knowing.

You know, I'm hoping to communicate with del Toro at some point. If it happens, you may be sure I'll voice our concerns. To me, the most important thing is that some mystery remain. I do NOT want to know everything about the character. His elusiveness is precisely the source of much of his charm, and if there's a story with him in it, I want clear hints that there's more to him than that.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

• Banned User

I want the old bride/ attic back!

• Member of Baxter's Army

Quote Originally Posted by geekedout44 View Post
    I want the old bride/ attic back!
    Don't get your hopes up.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by HMF View Post
    Don't get your hopes up.
    ...Dreams do come true

• Honorary Jungle Skipper

The Comic con poster looked as much like the ride figure as you could expect from a cartoon stylized portrait. No details were really altered, just adapted to the artist's style. The only major change was the color, and I'm guessing that was just so the poster could be all one color. The plaque would've looked stranger in blue that old hattie does in green.

Also, this was just an art piece commissioned for the announcement. It's not actually concept or production art for the movie.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by BassBone View Post
    Characters evolve. The character as he existed in the attraction for a short time did not work. A new HBG in the Mansion needs to be a new concept.
    The fact that the illusion didn't work had nothing to do with the stylistic appearance of the character. Where is it written that the new HBG "needs to be a new concept"? According to whom? The effect needs to be a new concept, but there's no reason to change him stylistically.

Holy smokes, HBG2, I just went to your blog for the first time since you started it. I just kind of assumed that like so many others it would just fade away after you realized how much work it would be!

FANTASTIC JOB! If anyone hasn't seen it, check it out and spread the word!

Long-Forgotten

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM