Page 66 of 606 FirstFirst ... 164156636465666768697691116166566 ... LastLast

• Banned User

That old dark house at the end of the dimly lit street.

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by FigmentJedi View Post
    Ooh, WDW's apparently thinking of Mansion themed suites for the French Quarter resort. With eyepaper comforters and Doombuggy beds
    <link removed>
    Oversized furnishings with curvy lines and bright colors
    *Sigh*
    Last edited by NeverNeverland; 08-09-2010 at 05:16 PM. Reason: link to other web site removed

• Inhospitable about happy

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Looks more like Alice in Wonderland meets Mickey's Toontown House. And what are those... Tigger gargoyles?

This is just rough concept work, of course, and there are one or two clever ideas in there, just to be fair. But still.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

• AP holder 400 miles away

too cartoony for my liking not really creppy but kinda funny in a way. but i guess that would be better for younger kids

• Honorary Jungle Skipper

It's a great idea, but I would think anyone who wanted to stay in a Haunted Mansion suite at all would want one that looked a little more like the mansion and a little less like Toontown. There are some decent touches though (bust, ceiling steps, chair).

• Larger Than (After)Life

I made a new userbar but I still think it sucks.

And, yeah, those new Haunted Mansion-themed hotel rooms look cheesy. Disney should go for authenticity in style reproduction, not a caricatural knockoff.

Finally made a userbar that I can live with, although I'm still sure that someone else with more Photoshop savvy can do far better. You're welcome to snag mine from my signature.
    Last edited by TheHatboxGhost; 08-07-2010 at 11:54 AM.

• =)

Yeah...personally, I wouldn't want to stay a cutesy room with clever allusions to the ride. I'd rather stay in a room that genuinely feels like part of the attraction.

• now that i see you ♥

Blog Entries

I agree that it looks more cartoonish and ridiculous than anything, but the average guest who wants to give their eight year old son a special experience probably would balk at having the son stay anywhere that would be TOO spooky for him. The HM is spooky fun, and my younger sibs (for all intents and purposes, my own personal focus group) love the ride but also probably wouldn't want to stay there overnight. Granted, the theme itself appeals to a certain type of audience who finds the idea, as presented, pretty unappealing, but we also have to remember that the target audience also makes up a small percentage of the people who would go for this sort of thing. At the end of the day, it's a park-themed room that needs to remain welcoming and homey, and it needs to appeal to the whole family in that regard.

All of that being said, I also think it looks sort of goofy even for a family oriented room. I know it'd be too subtle to pull off, but if the wallpaper was the foyer wallpaper and the colors around the room and on the bedspread were muted forest greens, deep purples, and green-grays, it would remain family friendly while being elegant, spooky, and reminiscent of our beloved Manse. And it would fit in with the French Quarter theme even better!! I want to sketch a concept piece to share my vision, which I might do very late tonight as I have to leave for work rather soon.
    dreams. come. true.

That's about right. And remember, it's not just that it has to be toned down so as not to scare little kids, but it has to be kicked down several notches more because they're going to sleep in there with the lights turned off!

*shudders*

THG, the userbar looks good except that the lettering is a little too small, IMO.

• =)

I think that's a fair point - but still, something a little classier would be nice. There's a lot of stuff in that concept that just doesn't evoke HM at all. Even when I was a kid (and a chicken, mind you), I never would have seen the appeal of sleeping in a purple doom buggy. And those Toontown-like curves just don't make any sense. If I were designing it, I would have stuck with something a lot more similar to the visual style of the mansion, which actually isn't that overtly creepy. With brighter lighting, a little less decay, all the furnishings of a hotel room, and no spooky soundtrack, the mansion wouldn't be particularly scary, even for little kids. Throw in some of the playfully creepy sorts of special effects they're considering, and you've got an experience that appeals more to people of all ages.

And by the way...there HAS to be a hitchhiking ghost that appears every now and then in the bathroom mirror.

• Honorary Jungle Skipper

I would think kids who are too afraid of a great Haunted Mansion room are still probably going to be too afraid of pretty much any Haunted Mansion room. Most likely, they're going going to make a few of these anyway, so why not cater to the cult? Let the kids and chickens stay in the Nemo rooms.

• Minion

I think its a good idea, they should do 2 variations of the rooms though, or do 3 room choices ... Toy Story, Princesses and Haunted Mansion, but give the Haunted Mansion room a choice between the cartoony idea presented and a more 'adult' orientated themed room with some more 'advanced' scare based effects, the soundtrack an actual ghos host. They have such a huge scope, its a shame they don't appear to be using it...

It doesn't affect me anyway, I like it

We interrupt this conversation to announce a
    MAJOR FIND.

Ghoulishdelight at DB.com has come across a line drawing in a book that obviously reproduces the etching we are all familiar with which probably inspired the WDW façade, but the drawing yields a much larger resolution, and it identifies the building for the first time. Shipley-Lydecker, move over. Meet the A.J. Davis-designed villa in Albany, New York:

Compare:

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    THG, the userbar looks good except that the lettering is a little too small, IMO.
    According to Userbars.com, there are all these stupid rules about how to make them. They must be 19 px x 350 px, have scanlines over the background, the font must be 13 pt. Visitor BRK with a 1 px stroke outline, and they should have a bevel. This is my first time using these features in Photoshop, and I have no idea what I'm doing.

• Pumpkin Dragon

Wow, they are so similar O_O

Anyways, I finally made my self come around in this thread, Hurrah for meh >_>

Seeing the HM style room makes me think that it was adapted for child appropriateness.

NOW if there was an adult version, It'd be alot more scary then the child version I can see two posterboards, One for the 'Black Widow Bride' and for the 'Chopped off Groom' and having ALOT more scary-like things, like in your bed in the matress is a cold applicator and at certain hours, you feel a coldness on your back. Or the TV randomly turning off at times, Or a growl from under your bed, the possibilitys are endless xD
    STOP CHEWING MY SHOELACES! D:

Ahh! The project is on fire! D:
    This fire has delayed our signature redesigning, Excuse the smoke...and the burnt pixie dust...
    I SUPPORT THE RETURN OF THE HATBOX GHOST!

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM