Page 7 of 581 FirstFirst ... 456789101757107507 ... LastLast

• Inhospitable about happy

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by HMfanatic View Post
    Just thought I'd have to chime in about those graveyard pop-up vocals - although this time it was from an audiotape I made of the WDW version of the HM way back in 1973. One thing I can still definately remember from listening to that tape over and over back then is that the first pop-up ghost just to the right (as you enter the graveyard proper through the graveyard gates) was that it was accompanied by the same long, drawn-out female scream also heard earlier in the COD. And it was *loud* volume-wise - you can hear it again and again no matter where you were while riding through this section of the ride. The thing is it didn't seem to correlate to the GGG song as the DL version was supposed to - it pretty much just popped up wherever during the song - as though it was only on a pretty short loop. I remember too there being at least 2 other pop-up vocals heard as well - one near the teeter-tottering king & queen and the other in the vicinity of the hearse ghosts (the cackle heard on the LP); not to mention the bicycle-riders high-pitched shrieks and these too seemed to be pretty random in relation to the song. I wonder if WDW's set-up was intentionally set up like this or they just let all the audio sync-up go to hell?
    GRD could tell us if the pop-ups at WDW are synchronized with the music. I don't know. DL definitely is, and Tokyo definitely is NOT (i.e., they pop up randomly).
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

• Haunted Mansion Fanatic

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    GRD could tell us if the pop-ups at WDW are synchronized with the music. I don't know. DL definitely is, and Tokyo definitely is NOT (i.e., they pop up randomly).
    I can confirm that they do indeed pop up at the end of every verse now of GGG. They might not have in the past, I don't remember, but post 2007 refurb they definitely do now.

• Dapper Dan-nabe

WDW pop-ups are synchronized, and very effectively at that. It was one the things that stood out to me as an improvement over the DL version when I first rode post-2007. Those suckers pop up with AUTHORITY and very much in time with the music.
    -SilentDante
    eliselzer.blogspot.com

• Minion

But do any at either Mansion still shriek or light up as they once did?

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

No shrieking/laughing to accompany at Disneyland, sadly...and I do miss that. And I don't remember them still doing it at WDW, when I went before the big refurb anyway.

I've got a 1976 audio tape ride thru
    audiotape I made of the WDW version of the HM way back in 1973
    ...is there a way to upload the audio?

Quote Originally Posted by SmellyOrangutan View Post
    ...is there a way to upload the audio?
    There must be, but I don't have the gizmos and/or techno-competence to transfer an audio cassette tape to a file on my computer. If someone knows a trick...

Okay, speculation time. I'm intrigued by the duelist portrait on the right side of the ballroom in the Collin Campbell illustration for "Story and Song":

The reason this is intriguing is that it happens to be the site of another enigma, discussed 'way back in the early Threads somewhere: the absence of the mantelpiece ghost from Effects blueprints.

There are two 1969 DL HM "Effects" blueprints in wide circulation, one used from around January or February until April 7th, and the other from April 8th forward to an unknown date. Neither of them shows the mantelpiece guy. Both of them do, however, show the duelists in their present positions.

Compare this WDW "Effects" blueprint, which shows the M. guy plainly:

Now, as a matter of fact, Campbell's painting shows nothing on the far right of the ballroom that we are used to seeing there. There's no fireplace or furniture, and there's no Granny in her chair. That could be simply economy of design on Campbell's part, and yet he leaves it as a wide-open space.

Is there a way to make sense of this cluster of anomalies? Here's one possible scenario: The original plan was to have a duelist portrait on the right wall, firing at the other duelist in his current position on the far left. This was nixed as making the joke too hard to catch, and they moved the right hand duelist to his present position much closer to his nemesis. At this point the first Effects bp was drawn, showing the duelists in their present positions, and also the fireplace and Granny, which could have been brought in at this time in order to increase the visual impact of that end of the room, especially now that the duelist was gone. In favor of them only coming in at this relatively late point is their utter absence from the Campbell painting. It is true that the S&S script mentions Granny, but this script only dates from May, and Campbell's paintings may have been done much earlier. This state of affairs lasted into April. Then it was decided to add the character to the mantelpiece, too late for him to appear on the Spring blueprint but in plenty of time for opening day.

I'm only giving this theory maybe a 10% or 15% chance of being right, but it has the virtue of explaining all of the anomalies.

• Minion

Perhaps the missing figure was just an oversight.

Interesting that Granny isn't in the Campbell artwork, as she is specifically mentioned on the record. Now that I look again, it appears as if something has been painted out in that area. Notice how the flooring detail disappears in that area, yet there are details of the floor throughout most of the rest of the painting. In the actual booklet, that is where the text is. Possibly the details were simply softened to make the text easy to read against it.

As far as transferring a tape, a simple patch cord from Radio Shack or Wal-Mart can connect your tape player to your computer, and record with a simple sound editing program. That's how I made the transfer of the Phantom Manor demo tape track that's floating around. (I have the actual, original Disney-labeled tape cassette.)
    Last edited by Grinning Ghost; 05-07-2010 at 02:27 PM. Reason: additional info

• Mr. Ghost

(Grinning ghost beat me to it. I was going to say you could either see if your comp has a default sound recorder program or you could download another program.)
    But I don't know if it was brought up before; but I have a theory as to why there are some saying the stretchroom was an afterthought, When the facade was built and it was still a walk through at that point, was there only the one SR? If there was, I could see easily why this mistaken as a last minute thing as they put in "StretchRoom B" as an add-on.

I might check into a patch cord like you mention.

The need to leave a big blank area for text is so obvious that I'm having a D'oh moment here. We can probably leave Granny out of it. I can't see any evidence of overpainting there, but maybe you've got a better bag of forensic tricks than I do. One place where overpainting IS obvious is the HBG portrait. There's a wine bottle in the foreground that got painted over.

It may be that both Effects bprints accidentally omitted the same AA figure, but you must admit that's a pretty interesting coincidence, since the one bprint does not look like it was lazily copied from the other. Perhaps both rely on a common source that omitted that ghost in error.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Fenwright View Post
    (Grinning ghost beat me to it. I was going to say you could either see if your comp has a default sound recorder program or you could download another program.)
    But I don't know if it was brought up before; but I have a theory as to why there are some saying the stretchroom was an afterthought, When the facade was built and it was still a walk through at that point, was there only the one SR? If there was, I could see easily why this mistaken as a last minute thing as they put in "StretchRoom B" as an add-on.
    Both elevators were there from the beginning.

• Minion

One place where overpainting IS obvious is the HBG portrait. There's a wine bottle in the foreground that got painted over.
    Oooh, you mean a second wine bottle was painted out. That pink stain at HBG's foot, right? Puzzling. I didn't realize it was a bottle before in the booklets, just an area of pink, like a stain of some sort. What I don't understand is, why can we still see it so clearly in the e-file of the painting if it was painted over?

Last edited by Grinning Ghost; 05-07-2010 at 04:15 PM.

All I can say is, strange things happen along the way in the world of scanning, reproduction, printing, etc. The ghost bottle fades in and out.

Left is a fresh scan I just made from my 1969 S&S album
    Middle is a scan of the mini-booklet in the new CD
    Right is from the e-file version on the new CD

And a bigger version is here.

Incidentally, I'm conceding that the "bicycle squeal" isn't a pop-up ghost vocal. I understand that it really does belong with the bikers. I'm not sure about the "eeeYEAH." If it's a pop-up vocal, it's been mixed in for the S&S album a little too early in the song. Since that's right about where the chop-chop editing starts, I doubt if the problem is amenable to solution based solely on that soundtrack.
    Last edited by HBG2; 05-07-2010 at 06:54 PM.

Haha! The new Toy Story 3 video game has Haunted Mansion stuff. You'll hear some very familiar audio near the end of this video: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXjz6c9e5i8]YouTube - Toy Story 3 - Buzz Lightyear vs. Haunted Mansion Gameplay Movie[/ame]

Incidentally, I'm conceding that the "bicycle squeal" isn't a pop-up ghost vocal. I understand that it really does belong with the bikers.
    What about that weird howl/groan (sounds like a bulldog being joyfully strangled) that immediately follows the bicycle squeal? I always thought that sound effect would be a good fit for the "droopy-eye" pop-up.

Page 7 of 581 FirstFirst ... 456789101757107507 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM