Page 71 of 597 FirstFirst ... 214661686970717273748196121171571 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,065 of 8941

• Larger Than (After)Life

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Hey, look! Beg and you shall get or something like that.

UB.com member Redback93 made these for me. Now, we're talkin'!

• now that i see you ♥

Blog Entries

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Wow. I marathon "Lost" for a day and a miss a WHOLE lot. RB, very excellent post on the screaming skulls. Regardless of its true connection to the HM, that was some fascinating reading on old legends.

And if anyone is wondering--because I'm sure you're still on the edge of your seat wondering what my possible design will be--I haven't worked on the damned sketch since Saturday because I've been such a busy bee with other things (yes, like "Lost," but I know for a FACT that Data is at least a huge fan of the show and may well excuse my procrastination.) I want to make it a point to finish the base sketch today before we get too much farther into season two so Leeroy can add the color later tonight. Y'know...just in case you were wondering. Lawl.
    dreams. come. true.

• =)

I forgive you, Caitlin...your procrastination is for a good cause!

• Banned User

That old dark house at the end of the dimly lit street.

Quote Originally Posted by TheHatboxGhost View Post
    Hey, look! Beg and you shall get or something like that.

UB.com member Redback93 made these for me. Now, we're talkin'!

Ooh, I really like the last one!

I'm still very excited to see your interpretation Caitlin!

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Thank you very much Caitlin, glad it was an interesting read! I dig old ghost stories and lore and such obviously, myself. And looking forward to seeing your art/concept piece!

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    Gorsh, all I've got to bring to show-and-tell is a 35-year-old painting that I've shown before.

I must have missed this the first time around! I dig it, quite subtly eerie and has a nice flavor of the bizarre to it, much like Rolly's work on the MotW. Good stuff

• Inhospitable about happy

Thanks.

You know, that "Screaming Skull" thing got me thinking. Wouldn't it be a great idea to put together a list of the top ten ghost stories, a ruthlessly-pruned list of absolute musts for those who haven't really read much in that genre? There are so many mediocre ones that just don't create the necessary atmosphere and simply are not scary. Why should someone wade through a dozen boring stories before they find a good one?

We'd need to restrict the list to ghost stories, not fantasy or sci-fi or straight horror, otherwise we'd never get the list down to manageable size, let alone to a top ten.

We may need to vote on a few that are hovering around between the 8th and the 12th best. Anyway, here are a few off the top of my head that would go on my short list, in no particular order:

"The Monkey's Paw" by W.W. Jacobs
    " 'Oh, Whistle, and I'll Come to You, My Lad' " by M.R. James
    "The Bottle of 1912" by Simon Raven
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

• now that i see you ♥

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    I forgive you, Caitlin...your procrastination is for a good cause!
    Season two, episode...I lost count. My drawing is actually coming along, but I can only work on it in our breaks ever four episodes.
    dreams. come. true.

• Minion

^^ Episodes??

Never Mind... Figured it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Ghost View Post
    ^^ Episodes??

Never Mind... Figured it out.
    It's another one of those, Grin. Like the litany of movie actors we've never heard of (yep, me too). It's okay, though, I've embraced my inner Luddite. (Now let them say "huh?" and scratch their heads for awhile.)

• is too darn hot.

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    It's another one of those, Grin. Like the litany of movie actors we've never heard of (yep, me too). It's okay, though, I've embraced my inner Luddite. (Now let them say "huh?" and scratch their heads for awhile.)
    You've embraced your inner Luddite as you're posting on an internet message board?
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

• Doom Buggy Detailer

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey13 View Post
    Anyone interested in downloading my new Death Certificate?
    That's really cool, MG13. Wish I'd seen it sooner - I just printed up 1,000 Death Certificates to hand out at the Club 1313 event next month. I'll try to remember to give your Death Certificate page a plug at Halloween on the podcast. You've included some really fun details. Great job.
    Chef Mayhem
    Designated a USA Today Hotsite
    Webmaster, TellNoTales.com
    Designated a Yahoo! Site of the Day

Quote Originally Posted by BassBone View Post
    You've embraced your inner Luddite as you're posting on an internet message board?
    I do it, but the difference is that I sorta hate it. I'm always expecting everything to go bonkers, leaving me in a helpless puddle of...well, helplessness. I really dislike computers.

Computers are designed to be easy to use because they test them on people and try to make everything "intuitive" and therefore easy to learn. I've discovered that my intuition apparently moves in different orbits than 99% of the population, and I have to learn practically everything in the computer-internet world by rote memorization or by writing down each little step on a list. I watch in amazement as my kids and grandkids navigate something new one time and immediate get it, so that they can do it again a week or a month later without a blip. I'm the last onboard with the latest "essential" tech device because they're no fun at all. I didn't get a cell phone until a couple of years ago, and it doesn't take pictures or get the Internet.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

While scanning a great amount of other material from magazines, books, etc, these images were among the fun finds. Just a little visual treat.

Chandelier inside Disneyland's ballroom (you can see a duelist portrait vaguely on the right)

Weird, purple lit dusk shot..framing is interesting, but it reminds me of the eighties due to the kind of "soft focus" lens action like they used on glamor portraits. Ack.

And a very nice view of the organist, doing his thing. Dooooooo dooo doooo doooo.

• =)

That organist shot is really cool because it's at eye-level. The vast majority of ballroom shots with the ghosts in them are taken from the mezzanine level, for obvious reasons, but I think it's awesome that the photographer either framed the photo to avoid capturing their reflection or overlaid an image of the ghosts on top of the empty ballroom. I'm thinking/hoping the former.

EDIT: I'd also like to reiterate that I really hope del Toro's film doesn't take the appearance of the ghosts too far from what we see in the ballroom. Something about the look of those Pepper's...uh, Ghosts...is so eerily realistic. It's not over-the-top with swirling ectoplasm and whatnot. It would actually be very easy to emulate the look of Pepper's Ghost with visual effects, and I hope they don't waste effort on trying to do something more complex. It's just not needed.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM