Page 8 of 618 FirstFirst ... 567891011183358108508 ... LastLast

• Yoiks!

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Gee, go away for a few days and we get 7 pages of a brand new thread!
    I'm not sure if the last thread was closed before this one opened, but I couldn't find this thread for a day. Data, can you link this thread to the first and final posts of T1-6? (If it hasn't been done already) Thanks!

So much to catch up on.

If my faulty memory is correct, the Jewish tradition of covering mirrors was originally because corpses don't have souls and if your reflection is in one they can take yours. It was not about vanity. (Since Vampires don't have souls, they cast no reflections).

Corpse Bride is based on a Russian? folktale. The candle ritual might simply be a a local tradition and certainly not a Roman Catholic ritual.

What we really need someone to do is go on the HM very late at night when there aren't any guests to annoy and shine a laser pointer through the bullet hole and see if they line up! (Joking)

I think the idea of having the duelists on opposite sides of the ballroom was scrapped because the room is too big and has so many distractions that many people wouldn't connect the two.

Back before I knew of any back stories, I always had the idea that the attic bride was looking for her husband who was killed in the attic before their wedding. She seemed like a victim, not a predator. When I first went the pop-ups just shrieked and didn't say "I do".

(But the visual pun makes a lot of sense!)

Great photos!

• Minion

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    All I can say is, strange things happen along the way in the world of scanning, reproduction, printing, etc. The ghost bottle fades in and out.

Left is a fresh scan I just made from my 1969 S&S album
    Middle is a scan of the mini-booklet in the new CD
    Right is from the e-file version on the new CD

And a bigger version is here.

Seems the remains of the second bottle was PhotoShopped out of the mini-booklet. Note the changes in the floorboard details in that one.

Incidentally, I'm conceding that the "bicycle squeal" isn't a pop-up ghost vocal. I understand that it really does belong with the bikers. I'm not sure about the "eeeYEAH." If it's a pop-up vocal, it's been mixed in for the S&S album a little too early in the song. Since that's right about where the chop-chop editing starts, I doubt if the problem is amenable to solution based solely on that soundtrack.
    Quote Originally Posted by SmellyOrangutan View Post
    What about that weird howl/groan (sounds like a bulldog being joyfully strangled) that immediately follows the bicycle squeal? I always thought that sound effect would be a good fit for the "droopy-eye" pop-up.
    As I mentioned previously, the sound effects heard at the mention of the bicycle ghosts on the Lp are all just ONE long, drawn-out sound effect. It is a woman* that created all those sounds continuously at one time in one take, from the high-pitched squeal, to the "eeee-yeah" to the strangled bulldog (as SmellyO so vividly described it). Just one sound effect.

How or even *if* it was ever used in the attraction itself is unknown to me. Its use on the album has always suggested to me that it was supposed to be the bicycle ghosts, and many HM fans refer to it as the bicycle ghosts because of its placement on the album. (I had always thought the squeal at the beginning were bicycle brakes - before I found out it was all one human sound effect.) It has been attributed to pop-up ghosts in two instances: Here, by HBG2 previously, and also as an attic pop-up in an old audio tape of the attic scene that has been circulating amongst HM fans for decades. On that tape, someone had mixed it in with the other attic pop-ups and bridal heartbeat, and it's very clear that it is all one sound effect. I would post it here so you could hear the full sound effect for yourselves, but I'm certain that wouldn't be allowed... However, the sound effect itself is way too long to be for any pop-up ghost. So my question is, was it ever actually used in the attraction, and if so, which silly spook was it actually associated with?

And another thing, since I seem to be on a rant: For some reason, most of these vocal sound effects are frequently erroneously attributed to Jimmy McDonald, but in reality most of these shrieks, wails, screams, laughter, and just plain weird vocal sound effects were performed by the graveyard singers during their recording session, as well as the voices heard in the Corridor of Doors. A perfect and unmistakable example is the use of Candy Candido: He performs the GGG vocal for Gus, the Prisoner, and his laughter is heard emanating from a crypt earlier in the graveyard scene (and repeated in the exit crypt, if still in use there). One exception is a loud male laugh once used in the WDW CoD, which is Paul Frees. It was the third door on the left as you back down the hall in your Doombuggy. Not sure if it's still in use. Another exception is (are?) some male and female moans which came from the Disney sound effects library, as heard in the 1964 Chilling, Thrilling... album and also used on the S&S album. Otherwise, most came from the GGG vocal recording sessions. *Most likely, Loulie Jean Norman is the singer performing the 'bicycle ghosts' sound effect.
    Last edited by Grinning Ghost; 05-08-2010 at 02:44 AM.

• Haunted Mansion Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Ghost View Post
    And another thing, since I seem to be on a rant: For some reason, most of these vocal sound effects are frequently erroneously attributed to Jimmy McDonald, but in reality most of these shrieks, wails, screams, laughter, and just plain weird vocal sound effects were performed by the graveyard singers during their recording session, as well as the voices heard in the Corridor of Doors. A perfect and unmistakable example is the use of Candy Candido: He performs the GGG vocal for Gus, the Prisoner, and his laughter is heard emanating from a crypt earlier in the graveyard scene (and repeated in the exit crypt, if still in use there). One exception is a loud male laugh once used in the WDW CoD, which is Paul Frees. It was the third door on the left as you back down the hall in your Doombuggy. Not sure if it's still in use. Another exception is (are?) some male and female moans which came from the Disney sound effects library, as heard in the 1964 Chilling, Thrilling... album and also used on the S&S album. Otherwise, most came from the GGG vocal recording sessions. *Most likely, Loulie Jean Norman is the singer performing the 'bicycle ghosts' sound effect.
    I never really thought about it before, but you're right, it seems like most of the COD/ pop up vocals do match up to some of the voices of the singers. The guy banging on the door in the "Let me out! Let me out of the place!" sounds an awful lot like it could be Ernie Newton (it sounds similiar to his voice of Pierre and some of his singing pirates in POTC), and obviously the low moaning one "Oooh! Let me out! Let me out of here! Who turned out the lights? Where is everybody? I want out!" is Thurl as there's no mistaking his voice.

The long drawn out high female scream in the COD however baffles me. It's so high pitched that it definitely could be Loulie Jean or Betty, but like Jimmy MacDonald's stretching room scream, it sounds rather masculine as the scream tapers off. (You can hear it really clearly on the Sound Effects track on the old HM CD.) The stretch room scream however you can obviously tell it's a man trying to sound like a woman, but the COD woman's scream is so high and feminine sounding, I wonder if part of it was Loulie Jean or Betty and mixed in with Jimmy's goofy vocal at the end. Or maybe I'm just overanalyzing this all way too much.

Very good point about those COD tracks - I too always thought it was odd that only Jimmy MacDonald alone was supposed to be behind those myriad voices - although since I read he was supposed to be the source behind all the Magic Skyway/Primeval World dinosaur growls, grunts, screams etc. I thought perhaps maybe anything was possible for the guy to achieve vocally.
    The bicycle-rider track - never really thought just how that was achieved, but it is possible it's a woman providing that high-pitched shriek at the beginning and then have the end s-l-o-w-e-d way down to get that wierd "strangled bulldog" sound.
    I also believe that the high moans heard in the COD are directly lifted from the banshee heard in the Disney film "Darby O'Gill and the Little People."
    Also - ever notice there's actually *2* ghosts heard behind that door with all the banging? One's saying "Let me out - Let me outta this place!" while a 2nd a bit more ominously says "No! Never...'
    And TightRopeGirlLover, for what it's worth, I always thought that drawn-out woman's scream (as well as the shorter version in the COD and a similiar short scream in the attic at one time) was completely performed by a female vocalist and not any kind of admixture from what I can hear...
    Last edited by HMfanatic; 05-08-2010 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Sentence correction

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by HMfanatic View Post
    The bicycle-rider track - never really thought just how that was achieved, but it is possible it's a woman providing that high-pitched shriek at the beginning and then have the end s-l-o-w-e-d way down to get that wierd "strangled bulldog" sound.
    No altering was done that I can tell. She just has an incredibly wide vocal range.

I also believe that the high moans heard in the COD are directly lifted from the banshee heard in the Disney film "Darby O'Gill and the Little People."
    Hmm. Can't say for certain, but they seem to be quite old tracks, even older than 1959 when that film came out. I'm thinking it's way older, but I could be wrong.

Also - ever notice there's actually *2* ghosts heard behind that door with all the banging? One's saying "Let me out - Let me outta this place!" while a 2nd a bit more ominously says "No! Never...'
    How odd; Unless they've changed it, there's only one man's voice on my copy of that track. Lots of gibberish (as if he is cursing), and then "Let me out - Let me outta this place!" all in the same voice, along with the banging. It's very clear, and very short, too. Only 15 seconds.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Very fascinating info on the "pop-up" vocals, so thank you to all who shared info about this! It is rather likely they were recorded with the graveyard singers, just makes logical sense to do it that way, as pointed out. There is one I keep hearing on various recordings, sort of a sudden EeeeeeeeAhhhhhhhh! that is very prominent. I think it's separate element from the track folks are attributing to the bicycle banshees. I will have to listen closely for their track next visit, in just a few weeks now...very interesting stuff, all.

To veer off that topic at random, my apologies....

We've had a few scattered photos and minor discussion before about Tokyo Disneyland's Haunted Mansion (located in Fantasyland, like the WDW Mansion but rather more decrepit). I have found a few new images, so thought I'd match them up with already posted ones for a mini-mega post look at the grounds:

by flickr user disneyphilip (Flickr: disneyphilip's Photostream)

(Flickr: disneyphilip's Photostream)

Flickr: disneyphilip's Photostream
    At Tokyo, Master Gracey it seems has been evicted in favor of "Mister West"

A rather murky shot of the tombstones on the exterior grounds:

(This I know! Chip & Dale's tree house!, Tokyo, Japan)

Unknown Source

And a few thanks to the Ghost Relations Department...

I actually kind of like elements of this exterior, even though they break the "no signs of haunting till inside" rule, as the attraction finds residence in Fantasyland. The use of stony outcroppings and ruined walls on the exterior is very interesting, as well as the previously mentioned "escaping skeleton" hint near one of the crypts.
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond View Post
    There is one I keep hearing on various recordings, sort of a sudden EeeeeeeeAhhhhhhhh! that is very prominent. I think it's separate element from the track folks are attributing to the bicycle banshees. I will have to listen closely for their track next visit, in just a few weeks now...very interesting stuff, all.
    If my guess is right, the sound effect you are thinking of is one of attic the pop-ups' tracks that was actually used in the attraction, and is heard on several recordings. The "bicycle ghosts" track is only heard on the Story & Song Lp, and you won't hear it in any of the Mansions today. It's not a short, sudden type of sound, but is rather long by comparison and varies greatly in pitch from start to finish, starting with a very high-pitched squeal then going down into a more normal vocal range ending in a sort of guttural, "strangled" sound. So far, no one has been able to confirm if it was ever actually used in the attraction.

• Jail Bondswoman of RCMC

Blog Entries

To veer off that topic at random, my apologies....

We've had a few scattered photos and minor discussion before about Tokyo Disneyland's Haunted Mansion (located in Fantasyland, like the WDW Mansion but rather more decrepit). I have found a few new images, so thought I'd match them up with already posted ones for a mini-mega post look at the grounds:

by flickr user disneyphilip (Flickr: disneyphilip's Photostream)

(Flickr: disneyphilip's Photostream)

A rather murky shot of the tombstones on the exterior grounds:

(This I know! Chip & Dale's tree house!, Tokyo, Japan)

Unknown Source

And a few thanks to the Ghost Relations Department...

I actually kind of like elements of this exterior, even though they break the "no signs of haunting till inside" rule, as the attraction finds residence in Fantasyland. The use of stony outcroppings and ruined walls on the exterior is very interesting, as well as the previously mentioned "escaping skeleton" hint near one of the crypts.
    If you want to think about it the Leota headstone breaks the no sign of haunting rule too.

The thing about Tokyo is that from I get from it, is it's like old fashioned horror movies old house that's falling apart and you get the hint of something very wrong, but you not sure.

As far as anyone knows that could be a giant raccoon running around.

Yeah that's what it is a giant raccoon.

• Minion

It's so interesting to see how different the same attractions are at other resorts. Thanks RegionsBeyond for those great photos!

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Hands down, one of the loveliest nighttime HM shots I've ever seen...

100502 - Haunted Mansion by ~jacobC118 on deviantART

• Inhospitable about happy

"Master Gracey" became "Mister West" on the berm graveyard at DL also. I can't remember the full name of the Imagineer with the last name West, but that's what that's all about. GRD has that factoid at his fingertips.

Unknown Source
    One thing I've learned over the course of these Threads is that stuff that is "too obvious to bother pointing out" rarely is. Anyone else notice that the whole upper part of this fountain looks like a truncated version of the familiar front plaque? Better still, it resembles the limited edition oval mirror they were selling for awhile that had the plaque design for its frame.
    Last edited by HBG2; 05-09-2010 at 08:57 PM. Reason: spelling error
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

• Hurry Baaaaaaaack!

[SNIP] We've had a few scattered photos and minor discussion before about Tokyo Disneyland's Haunted Mansion (located in Fantasyland, like the WDW Mansion but rather more decrepit). [SNIP]
    Do you mean that the TDL Haunted Mansion looks like a more decrepit version of the WDW Mansion or that both the TDL and WDW Mansions are located in their respective Fantasylands? The WDW Mansion is located in Liberty Square, which is between Fantasyland and Frontierland. It's a smaller land, holding the Hall of Presidents, Haunted Mansion, Riverboat, and two restaurants.

• Inhospitable about happy

Quote Originally Posted by MadameGracey73 View Post
    Do you mean that the TDL Haunted Mansion looks like a more decrepit version of the WDW Mansion or that both the TDL and WDW Mansions are located in their respective Fantasylands? The WDW Mansion is located in Liberty Square, which is between Fantasyland and Frontierland. It's a smaller land, holding the Hall of Presidents, Haunted Mansion, Riverboat, and two restaurants.
    The WDW mansion is neatly kept up. No broken shutters hanging loose, etc. The TDL mansion is practically a clone of WDW, but it has broken-down features, like it's been neglected or abandoned. It's more like a traditional haunted house in that way.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Quote Originally Posted by MadameGracey73 View Post
    The comma was to indicate separateness...I am well aware in WDW, it is in Liberty Square. The related statement was about the relative levels of disrepair (DisneyWorld being pristine, Tokyo decaying). Merely a issue in how I worded it there...though Liberty Square borders Fantasyland in WDW, with a little archway coming out directly by the Harbor Galley restaurant and a holiday shop, if I recall, and HM just around the corner.

• Hurry Baaaaaaaack!

The WDW mansion is neatly kept up. No broken shutters hanging loose, etc. The TDL mansion is practically a clone of WDW, but it has broken-down features, like it's been neglected or abandoned. It's more like a traditional haunted house in that way.
    Right - being an east coaster, it's the only Mansion that I know! I was wondering if it was being implied that both the TDL and WDW Mansions are Fantasyland Mansions...because the WDW Mansion is not.

The comma was to indicate separateness...I am well aware in WDW, it is in Liberty Square. The related statement was about the relative levels of disrepair (DisneyWorld being pristine, Tokyo decaying). Merely a issue in how I worded it there...though Liberty S
    Gotcha. I'm kind of embarrassed now! Jumping into this fabulous thread as a newcomer is mega intimidating. I'm awed everyone's Mansion knowledge!

In other less faux pas-ish info, I'm totally fascinated with the TDL decor. It reads really well in photos - it doesn't seem to be overkill or distracting.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM