Page 92 of 721 FirstFirst ... 42678289909192939495102117142192592 ... LastLast
Results 1,366 to 1,380 of 10808

• Larger Than (After)Life

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by TheHatboxGhost View Post
    How do they do that?

And don't say by incantation.
    I asked this many posts back, regarding the seance room's conjured ectoplasmic entity (the face on the wall). Sadly, my question has yet to be answered.

Seriously, how is this effect achieved? I am extremely curious.

• Wouldn't YOU like to know

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Thanks, Maneatingwreath. (Mouthful!) I'll try.
    If you liked this post in any way, please mark it as helpful, thanks

• Mr. Ghost

Exclamation Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

I asked this many posts back, regarding the seance room's conjured ectoplasmic entity (the face on the wall). Sadly, my question has yet to be answered.

Seriously, how is this effect achieved? I am extremely curious.
    It's probably done with a projector and some slides, or it may be just a digital projector set ast random. Does anybody know how much room is behind that wall?

• Inhospitable about happy

Yeah, I know how the original effect is done, and from that I can guess how it's done now, but I don't know.

The original effect is simple. It's a big sheet of glow-in-the-dark plastic with a light moving around it on the back. The glow slowly fades as the light moves away, so you get this trail.

Possibly the faces are also glow-in-the-dark on a new sheet situated behind the light, which would explain why their brightest glowing point tends to follow the light (or does it? I haven't seen enough to know). I don't think that fully explains it, though, so at best that guess is only half right.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

I always thought that the ectoplasm was a video projection. There would be a video of the orb and it would only look like it was leaving a glowing path. That way they would be able to change the ghostly face. I dont know, thats what it looks like to me...

I thought I would be one of the first to talk about the new Leota in Haunted Mansion Holiday. As most of you know, this year Leota is up in the air this year and looking great. Compared to past years,

she looks Much, much better.

Her projection is bright and clear, and very lifelike.

Another thing new this year are the floating lanterns, replacing the Fortune card tree from past years. These add more mystery, and if you look closely, there are skulls etched in the glass. Nice touch.
    But in my opinion, these lamps aren't just decorative, but a vital part in making Leota fly. With the fortune card tree, there was a lot of light reflecting around the room. Now, it is much darker, all the better to hide the wires holding her up.

This brings up another observation. If you look closely at this youtube video, YouTube - New Leota in Haunted Mansion Holiday 2010 you can see some of the mechanism of Leota, and it looks different than before. You can see in these screen grabs, it looks like some kind of blown glass.

I have no clue what it cloud be. A support of some kind?. Whatever it is, it sure helps disguise the wires.
    Overall, i think the Imagineers did a great job updating Leota this year, and making it better than ever.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Quote Originally Posted by whodudis View Post
    I thought I would be one of the first to talk about the new Leota in Haunted Mansion Holiday. As most of you know, this year Leota is up in the air this year and looking great. Compared to past years,
    . . . . . . . . .
    if you look closely, there are skulls etched in the glass. Nice touch.
    But in my opinion, these lamps aren't just decorative, but a vital part in making Leota fly. With the fortune card tree, there was a lot of light reflecting around the room. Now, it is much darker, all the better to hide the wires holding her up.

This brings up another observation. If you look closely at this youtube video, YouTube - New Leota in Haunted Mansion Holiday 2010 you can see some of the mechanism of Leota, and it looks different than before. You can see in these screen grabs, it looks like some kind of blown glass.

I have no clue what it cloud be. A support of some kind?. Whatever it is, it sure helps disguise the wires.
    Overall, i think the Imagineers did a great job updating Leota this year, and making it better than ever.
    No those aren't supports for Leota. Take a look at Fishbulbs photos from his report yesterday. His photo show the Leota's crystal ball has been turned into an ornate curvacious Christmas ornament. Leota's crystal ball is the center of the "ornament" in which she is appearing.

Ahh, that makes sense, kind of. I guess i didn't look close enough! But the question is, why is she in an ornament? I think it's kind of weird, but creative at the same time. Is it clearly visible when on the ride? Because in the video, you cant see it!

• Inhospitable about happy

I always thought that the ectoplasm was a video projection. There would be a video of the orb and it would only look like it was leaving a glowing path. That way they would be able to change the ghostly face. I dont know, thats what it looks like to me...
    Nope. The original effect was never a video projection.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

she looks Much, much better.
    She looks like a face-shaped TV screen with internal projection.

Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but I prefer the original Mme. Leota. To me, this head looks distorted and unrealistic. I may change my mind, after I see it in-person. I'll let you know, when I do.

And I'm still not sold on the floating lanterns, although I like the skulls inside. Again, I'll have to see them for myself. In the video, the scene does not look as ghoulishly festive as last year.

And why does Leota's head, in the shot above, remind me of Adventure Through Inner Space?

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

To veer off track from New Leota (who I will be anxious to see in person next month)....

We have discussed the "nature" of the haunting of the Mansion before, I am quite sure: how the various types of spirits kind of match "real life" reported entities. The rough break down being:

Intelligent spirits: aware of surroundings, able to interact with people (The Ghost Host, Madame Leota, potentially the Hatbox Ghost, presumably the graveyard spirits since they are partying)

Residual: repeating same routines over and over based on location (ballroom dancers, old attic bride could be residual since is content just to lurk in the darkness)

Poltergeists: spirits intent on making noise or moving objects only, but selective about activity (trapped corridor of doors wraiths)

Non-human/demonic: As it says, spirits that are more monstrous (13-hour clock shadow hand, the banshees in the graveyard)

Corpses/human remains/zombies: the ghost host's skeleton dangling from the rafters, the man trapped in the coffin, potentially the pop-up heads.

With this sort of rough breakdown....the problem, if you wish to call it that, is where does Constance fit in? She is way too chatty to be residual...who would she be talking to?....but also, repeating the same lines of dialogue over and over in a gloating manner, doesn't exactly read as speaking directly to the guests/foolish mortals trapped inside the Mansion as an intelligent spectre would be. Just something interesting to think about, and I don't know the answer. She may well have been intended to be an intelligent spook, somehow compelled to speak of or proud of her misdeeds in life, but the execution fails to convey she is actually speaking to you like the Ghost Host does. The old Bride seemed to be wanting some vaugely defined assistance from guests even while silent, or the caretaker even silently seems to register the appearance of guests as they pass by. Constance lacks seemingly any connection to visitors, but is way too talkative and her dialogue makes zero sense for her to be 'reliving' her old habits unaware of visitors.

What do you think? Is this just muddled, or does Constance fit into one of the classic type of ghost groups?
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

The Hatbox Ghost WAS old-fashioned. At least, their technology for building him was.

She looks like a face-shaped TV screen with internal projection.

Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but I prefer the original Mme. Leota. To me, this head looks distorted and unrealistic. I may change my mind, after I see it in-person. I'll let you know, when I do.

And I'm still not sold on the floating lanterns, although I like the skulls inside. Again, I'll have to see them for myself. In the video, the scene does not look as ghoulishly festive as last year.

The Hatbox Ghost WAS old-fashioned. At least, their technology for building him was. Sorry about the double post. My bad.

Quote Originally Posted by The Pooped Pirate View Post
    The Hatbox Ghost WAS old-fashioned. At least, their technology for building him was. Sorry about the double post. My bad.
    WHAT!? You mean shower curtains wrapped around a couple of sticks isn't cutting edge???

I still want to be a fully functioning animatron. In the meantime, I'm going to embed myself indelibly into the minds and psyches of as many foolish mortals as I can.

Hello, right back atcha.

SIGN!
    Last edited by TheHatboxGhost; 09-18-2010 at 12:14 PM. Reason: Because I can.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM