Page 93 of 559 FirstFirst ... 438390919293949596103143193 ... LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,395 of 8380

• Larger Than (After)Life

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond View Post
    What do you think? Is this just muddled, or does Constance fit into one of the classic type of ghost groups?
    Constance reminds me of an incessantly babbling criminal psychotic.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by TheHatboxGhost View Post
    Constance reminds me of an incessantly babbling criminal psychotic.
    Silly me, I forgot all about that common type of ghost

Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond View Post
    Silly me, I forgot all about that common type of ghost
    I believe that type falls under "muddled."

• Hurry Baaaaaaaack!

Hi everyone. While reading PhotoMatt's Halloween trip report, I noticed this photo:

Maybe it just looks quite similar, but I must ask -- could this possibly be a repurposed HM blast up?

(Photo from HBG2's Long-Forgotten Blog)
    Last edited by MadameGracey73; 09-19-2010 at 10:31 AM.

• I'm a Lutheran

/\ Great observation! It might just be an old pop-up head!
    Theatrical Roles: Various Roles (The Laramie Project), Fred (Oklahoma!), Oberon (Shakespeare in Hollywood), Hero (A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum), Valere (The Miser), Moonface Martin (Anything Goes), Thenardier/Laborer/Army Officer/Ensemble (Les Miserables), Franz (The Sound of Music), Tobias Ragg (Sweeney Todd), Tinman (The Wiz), Elles Dad/Winthrop/Ensemble (Legally Blonde), William Barfee/Leaf's Dad/Jesus Christ (25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee), Fiddler on the Roof (Rabbi), The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Muff Potter/Ensemble), Shrek the Musical (Lord Farquaad)

• Inhospitable about happy

It's not a blast-up head/organ banshee. It's modeled on them artistically, but it isn't an actual one that has been recycled. There are many differences.

As for the ghost-classification thing, it's flawed by the assumption that the ghosts can be defined according to their current states. They should not be. In the old GH narration, he notes that they're having trouble getting through, and that maybe Mdm L can help. And of course she can, and she does, and from then on they're flying around freely and visibly. So the wall-bangers in the COD are now the party dudes in the ballroom. They aren't two different species.

You have to be clear when you say "poltergeist" whether you mean a type of ghost or a type of ghost manifestation.

There do seem to be some reanimated corpses in the graveyard (pop ups), but otherwise, the only ontological (look it up) category of spooks in the HM is "ghosts," IMO.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    You have to be clear when you say "poltergeist" whether you mean a type of ghost or a type of ghost manifestation.

There do seem to be some reanimated corpses in the graveyard (pop ups), but otherwise, the only ontological (look it up) category of spooks in the HM is "ghosts," IMO.
    I had to and I did ó and I'm a (ghost)writer!

on∑to∑log∑i∑cal adj \ˌšn-tə-ˈlš-ji-kəl\

Definition of ONTOLOGICAL

1 : of or relating to ontology

2 : relating to or based upon being or existence

ó on∑to∑log∑i∑cal∑ly \-k(ə-)lē\ adverb

First Known Use of ONTOLOGICAL

• =)

That's a word I've been exposed to (and decided to look up) numerous times, but I still can't get the hang of it. It's like a tool that you look at and can never quite figure out what you're supposed to do with it.

• Member of Baxter's Army

Quote Originally Posted by MadameGracey73 View Post
    I am flattered that you think its my blog. LOL! but that honor goes to HBG2
    If you want to see my site (actually I share it with three others) see here.
    Home - Mice at Work Podcast
    OK' shameless self-promotion finished.

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    That's a word I've been exposed to (and decided to look up) numerous times, but I still can't get the hang of it. It's like a tool that you look at and can never quite figure out what you're supposed to do with it.
    I've got a list of words like that, so don't feel bad.

Ontology has to do with what something IS in essence, the quality that has to do with its just BEING there, just existing. It stands in contrast to what something DOES or how it functions, or how it changes, or anything like that. Actually, this ghost thing provides a good illustration. Is a poltergeist a separate species of ghost, as it were, or is it just a pattern of behavior that some ghosts are known to practice? That's a question of ontology, see? You use it when discussing whether something HAS an existence at all apart from behavior or activity. Ontologically speaking, "swimmer" is an empty set, for example. There are lots of things that swim, and the word usefully separates those from things that don't swim, but there isn't an actual "thing" out there that is a "swimmer" as its defining essence. See how it works? It can be a very useful word at times.

See how educational the HM is, boys and girls? Great place to start discussions from, because it touches on so many interesting phenomena. Pull on any thread, and you find the whole world attached to the other end, but some threads get you there more quickly than others.

• Hurry Baaaaaaaack!

Quote Originally Posted by HMF View Post
    I am flattered that you think its my blog. LOL! but that honor goes to HBG2
    If you want to see my site (actually I share it with three others) see here.
    Home - Mice at Work Podcast
    OK' shameless self-promotion finished.
    Oops! Post has been edited

• now that i see you ♥

Blog Entries

Woooow I missed a lot in the four days I was gone. Just caught up. Whew! I am not impressed by the new Leota arrangement at all, but I will concede that the lanterns are pretty cool on their own. The endless hallway is officially too bright as they had to put up a black sheet against the mirror in the back (I don't remember them doing that in past years), which COMPLETELY ruins the effect. The other thing that really bugged me was in the graveyard... There is a chandelier made of ice above the couple sitting at a table drinking tea, and it's lit with a regular yellow bulb. The figures look like figures there now, and not even like ghosts. I know I'm just complaining about details again, and I'll stop, but these things really bother me a lot :/ On the other hand, the projections for Ghost Galaxy look better than last year as the screens are less lit than they were before. I was actually not expecting the sentient galaxy to pop up a few times. The music still isn't nearly as good as the Giacchino piece, but it works.
    dreams. come. true.

I don't have a copy of Grinning Ghost's Unauthorized 36th Anniversary CD set, so if that's where this comes from, sorry about making a big deal out something that's already well-circulated.

HERE is an outtake from the recording sessions of Eleanor Audley's Madame Leota spiel that I've never heard before. Can't say I'm mystified why this one was rejected, LOL.

Also, here's a random piece of Sťance circle concept art that I've never seen before. Don't even know if it's ancient or modern.

• Honorary Jungle Skipper

I don't have a copy of Grinning Ghost's Unauthorized 36th Anniversary CD set, so if that's where this comes from, sorry about making a big deal out something that's already well-circulated.

HERE is an outtake from the recording sessions of Eleanor Audley's Madame Leota spiel that I've never heard before. Can't say I'm mystified why this one was rejected, LOL.

Also, here's a random piece of Sťance circle concept art that I've never seen before. Don't even know if it's ancient or modern.

Other than the last couple of lines when she goes a bit over the top, I really like some of the weirder takes on the lines here. It is all a bit more aggressive (and that shade of difference makes it sound a lot more like Maleficent), so it wouldn't make as much sense in context, but it's fun to hear.

• hatbox ghost believer

Thumbs up Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

This was hil-AR-ious! Thanks for sharing!
    Jon A. Leslie
    nojarama
    http://www.nojarama.com

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM