Page 95 of 603 FirstFirst ... 45708592939495969798105120145195595 ... LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,425 of 9032

• Who are you again?

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by TheHatboxGhost View Post
    QUESTION:

What ancient, ghastly, skeletal figure shuffles along with
    a dusty, worn-out headcase on his arm?

ANSWER:

LARRY KING!

I don't get it......no, really i don't....
    Hello? I seem to be in some sort of inter dimensional dimension with no way in or out....Send Help! and Pie! pumpkin peferably

• Larger Than (After)Life

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by jesterjack View Post
    I don't get it......no, really i don't....
    Oh, good grief! OK, I'll explain:

There's a play on words here. The hatbox is also a "headcase," since it holds yours ghoully's head, when said head does the switch. A "headcase" is also a "nut," a wacky person.

Larry King is old, not terribly attractive (although, granted, beauty is in the eye of the beheader err holder) and thin. And, on a man's arm is often where you'll find his other half. While it's a cruel remark, older women are sometimes referred to as "dried up." Thus, they become "dusty." Yes, it's mean but it's said in jest, as is the whole thing. And, according to the media, Mr. King's other half is well less than mentally stable.

So, now you put it all together and figure out the mechanics of this joke. The expected answer is, "The Hatbox Ghost." The humor is found in the element of surprise, if you happen to find the punchline humorous. If you don't, I tried. At least, I didn't glue an infant doll to a plank and call it, "Baby On Board."

• Inhospitable about happy

(Actually, I didn't know about King's wife, so I only half-got it.)

Let's try a joke that everyone should be able to get. It's kinda creepy, so that's my threadbare excuse for putting it into a HM thread. It's also old, but maybe so old that a lot of you have never heard it.

Q: What's white and crawls up your leg?

A: Uncle Ben's perverted rice.

(I've always loved that one for some strange reason. Maybe it's the twisted image in my twisted little brain.)
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

Fun!

First, Daveland posted this pic from 1964 showing some kind of construction going on in front of TSI, with the HM in the background.

I'm always happy to add new old HM pix to my files, so we're already operating in the black as far as I'm concerned. But there was much befuddlement around Daveland as to what that construction could be. Finally, Outside the Berm identified it, digging up an old pic.

So it turns out it's from 1963, not 1964. [See below] It's a stage for a Big Bands performance on the ROA (and using the rafts, too). The stage and setting are an interesting precursor to Fantasmic!.

But the best thing of all: That stage drawing is almost certainly by Rolly Crump. The whole thing just shouts it. In particular, the lettering style of "Sailor's Rest" is practically a signature, if you ask me.

Call it Crumptasmic!

Take it to the bank. Another piece of forgotten Rolliana from back in the day has been rediscovered.
    Last edited by HBG2; 09-21-2010 at 09:05 PM.

It turns out that the OTB photo is dated incorrectly, even though it was labeled 1963 and hung like that on the wall in the underground tunnel leading to the Tomorrowland Terrace stage. The date on the Daveland photo, showing the stage being built, is correct: 1964.

How do we know? The vane on the HM is missing two sails in the Daveland shot, and that didn't happen until 1964. As further proof, the platform for the Big Band stage was not built until 1964. You can see it in 1964 photos but not in any 1963 photos. I've always wondered what it was. Now I know.

• Mr. Ghost

When HBG2 asked if there's something else in that Stuff from The Park photo, I was gonna say " I can see the "Grandpa Marc" and the "Master Gracey" stones through the fence. 8)

• Larger Than (After)Life

By Eric Pigors:

Looks like Hat Box Organist.

• We Go On.

Orbitalpunk's AMAZING Haunted Mansion Holiday Video:

YouTube - Haunted Mansion Holiday

Go to 3:43. Since when has there been a blast-up in the graveyard? Have I just been missing this guy my whole life?

Quote Originally Posted by WDITrent View Post
    Orbitalpunk's AMAZING Haunted Mansion Holiday Video:

Go to 3:43. Since when has there been a blast-up in the graveyard? Have I just been missing this guy my whole life?
    He's been there since opening day. Believe it or not, that blast-up has been discussed on these Threads so often that he has acquired a nic, "Ol' Blasty." He's the only surviving blast-up in the entire Disney universe. There's evidence that WDW had some when it opened (although no one seems to remember them), and DL had three, two in the attic and Ol' Blasty in the graveyard. Tokyo and Paris have never had them.

He's bouncing nice and high in that video. Glad to see he's been fixed, since for quite some time he's barely cleared the sarcophagus.

Long may he rave. If they ever get rid of him I'll be one unhappy camper, lemme tellya.

• Minion

For those of you not reading the live coverage of the Destination D event today, it's now been announced that Hatbox Ghost is coming back

Destination D LIVE Coverage
    Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
    July 13th-18th
    November 19th-25th

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Quote Originally Posted by mickeyfan42 View Post
    For those of you not reading the live coverage of the Destination D event today, it's now been announced that Hatbox Ghost is coming back

Destination D LIVE Coverage
    Well, there you go...about time and seemingly official. Likely won't be a press release on this or such, just in case it doesn't materialize again...

In other subject, and apologies if this has been covered before. On good old "Story and Song from the Haunted Mansion", there's a single sound effect that plays when Thurl is talking about the graveyard, and the ghosts riding bicycles (what we call banshees). It's at 2:42-2:43 in this clip:

YouTube - The Story and Song from The Haunted Mansion Part 3

Anyone out there know if this kind of shrieking sound effect was ever present in the Mansion, or maybe still there, buried under other noises? I can't recall hearing it ever with my own ears while riding HM, and it would lend credence to the kind of informal reference to those spectres as "banshees"

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

And veering even further off topic, here's a one off image of the hitchhiking ghosts concept art from the first HM film. Here's hoping del Toro can do better...

Oh man oh man oh man oh man hatbox ghost!

Hatty!
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM