Page 97 of 583 FirstFirst ... 477287949596979899100107122147197 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,455 of 8743

• Larger Than (After)Life

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Who's Carlo?

Ah, the mysteries of afterlife!
    Last edited by TheHatboxGhost; 09-24-2010 at 05:33 PM.

• Inhospitable about happy

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by TheHatboxGhost View Post
    Who's Carlo?
    POTC allusion. Carlos is the mayor's name, the guy getting dunked in the well. The woman above him who keeps opening and shutting the window shudders is his wife, telling him not to be cheeeeken.

Trivia: Carlos' wife if voiced by June Foray, the legendary voice artist. A stone's throw away is the Paul Frees-voiced Auctioneer. So it's Boris and Natasha, together again.

Guess our pumpkin patch was the most sincere.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

• Mr. Ghost

That Hitchhiking ghost concept art was done by Rick Baker. O_O
    I don't knock his work in the movie, but too bad the other GYJ ghosts seemed shoehorned in. O_O

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    POTC allusion. Carlos is the mayor's name, the guy getting dunked in the well. The woman above him who keeps opening and shutting the window shudders is his wife, telling him not to be cheeeeken.
    Ooooooooh.

I don't get out much. The no pants thing and all.

• Forgotten Spirit

Aahhaah
    Your getting to 1000th post...and close to being the 1000th happy haunt

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Fenwright View Post
    That Hitchhiking ghost concept art was done by Rick Baker. O_O
    I'd love to see a Rick Baker sculpt of yours ghoully. I'm floored by what he did to The Man in the Beaver Hat, a Lon Chaney, Sr. character that I still believe was a huge influence on the Marc Davis concept. Here's what I mean:

ZBrushCentral: Watch me work

Quote Originally Posted by MrHatboxGhost View Post
    Aahhaah
    Your getting to 1000th post...and close to being the 1000th happy haunt
    I will probably pause to savor post #999.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

The only suitable musical theme to this announcement

Venture Bros Henchmen Gearing Up - SAPO Vdeos

• Forgotten Spirit

Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond View Post
    The only suitable musical theme to this announcement

Venture Bros Henchmen Gearing Up - SAPO Vdeos
    YES! Win! Hahaha, I love Venture Bros

• Who are you again?

All hail the all-mighty Hatbox Ghost!

Here lies dear old Hatty,
    the only one to return,
    whose a little less batty
    Hello? I seem to be in some sort of inter dimensional dimension with no way in or out....Send Help! and Pie! pumpkin peferably

Quote Originally Posted by jesterjack View Post

All hail the all-mighty Hatbox Ghost!

Here lies dear, old Hatty,
    the only one to return,
    who's a little less batty.
    Only a little less.
    I take great pride
    in my battiness.

• Pumpkin Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by TheHatboxGhost View Post
    Only a little less.
    I take great pride
    in my battiness.

and its that battiness is why we love you <3

Do my dissiperring eyes decive me? Its your 1000th post :O

*saying in a Corey Burton Voice*
    STOP CHEWING MY SHOELACES! D:

Ahh! The project is on fire! D:
    This fire has delayed our signature redesigning, Excuse the smoke...and the burnt pixie dust...
    I SUPPORT THE RETURN OF THE HATBOX GHOST!

• Inhospitable about happy

Speaking of movies...and no pants...

I'm working on a blog post about cinematic influences on the HM, and of course the parade example is Robert Wise's 1963 The Haunting, often cited as the best haunted house movie of all time. Google around and you find little but praise for the film. I've got a DVD and have seen it many times.

I'm sorry, but...The Emperor Has No Clothes.

It is not a good movie, period. Most of the acting is dreadful, especially Julie Harris and Claire Bloom. The main character, Eleanor (played by Harris), is the most annoying lead character in a movie that I have ever seen. Jar Jar Binks, come back; all is forgiven. Eleanor is a thoroughly unlikable, self-indulgent, drama queen. Her thoughts are narrated in a reverb chamber all through the picture, a desperate attempt to give the audience some means of making sense of her. It's a lost cause. Even with her inner monologue fully articulated, she's an incoherent wreck of a character, and the suggestion that the lead male, Dr. Marquay, falls in love with her is snortworthy. He does it only because the script is holding a gun to his head.

Speaking of Marquay, he is utterly unbelievable as a "scientist." His "scientific" investigation is a joke to anyone who has ever done any kind of field research in any subject. Bob, you have to at least make your scientist behave a little like a real scientist would.

What else. Oh, the dialogue is stilted and unnatural throughout. Nobody talks like that. Nobody ever did.

Almost all of these flaws must be laid at the feet of Wise, who directed West Side Story directly before and The Sound of Music directly after this film. Directorially, those were praiseworthy achievements. I don't know what happened. Work with me here; does Robert Wise have an evil twin brother that I don't know about?

What the film does extremely well is in the areas of set design, cinematography and sound. This is the go-to film to prove that you can coax a scare out of nothing but light and shadow and some good sound effects. There are three or four well-earned scares in the flick. But if we're going to give a film a pass—and even high marks—just for excellence in set design and cinematography—plus a handful of hits among the misses—we're going to have to call off the spit-ball fusillades against the 2003 Haunted Mansion movie, aren't we? As a matter of fact, as different as they are, the two films are comparable. There are at least three or four well-done, entertaining moments (if not whole scenes) in the HM flick too. The set design and the costume and makeup effects (thank you, Rick Baker), are superb, as everyone admits. The common opinion set, declaring The Haunting a work of genius and The Haunted Mansion a piece of junk, is just lazy hypocrisy.

Okay, that's a minority view, admittedly, but I had to get it off my chest. If The Haunting is the best haunted house film evah, that says more about how wretchedly bad most haunted house films are than it does about The Haunting.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

• Honorary Jungle Skipper

To the skeptics down through the years...

Toldja.

What it looks like to me is the reverse of what we've been speculating with regard to with the Del Toro project. Instead of holding off and designing a HBG that comports with what Del Toro comes up with for the movie, they're putting in place now (or very soon) the thing that Del Toro will have to match. Since the film is years away and the story is just now being written, that makes sense. It also makes sense since HBG2 was mostly done and ready to go last year.

Do it right, guys. You're dabbling in things beyond what you could possibly imagine.

It sure looks like that's what's happening! If so, I am very surprised AND very happy about it. For all his talk of reverence, I think I still trust Tony more than Guillermo. Can't wait to see that terrible smile in person.

Speaking of movies...and no pants...

If The Haunting is the best haunted house film evah, that says more about how wretchedly bad most haunted house films are than it does about The Haunting.
    I like the 1999 gazillionth remake of it better — probably on account of the special effects and Catherine Zeta-Jones. Even so, on IMDb, it rates only 4.6 out of a possible 10 stars.

My favorite "haunted house" movie is actually a haunted hotel movie: "The Shining" (1980).
    Last edited by TheHatboxGhost; 09-24-2010 at 11:40 PM. Reason: It's a secret. Shhh.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM