Page 98 of 603 FirstFirst ... 4873889596979899100101108123148198598 ... LastLast
Results 1,456 to 1,470 of 9032

• hatbox ghost believer

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    Speaking of movies...and no pants...

I'm working on a blog post about cinematic influences on the HM, and of course the parade example is Robert Wise's 1963 The Haunting, often cited as the best haunted house movie of all time. Google around and you find little but praise for the film. I've got a DVD and have seen it many times.

I'm sorry, but...The Emperor Has No Clothes.

It is not a good movie, period. Most of the acting is dreadful, especially Julie Harris and Claire Bloom. The main character, Eleanor (played by Harris), is the most annoying lead character in a movie that I have ever seen. Jar Jar Binks, come back; all is forgiven. Eleanor is a thoroughly unlikable, self-indulgent, drama queen. Her thoughts are narrated in a reverb chamber all through the picture, a desperate attempt to give the audience some means of making sense of her. It's a lost cause. Even with her inner monologue fully articulated, she's an incoherent wreck of a character, and the suggestion that the lead male, Dr. Marquay, falls in love with her is snortworthy. He does it only because the script is holding a gun to his head.

Speaking of Marquay, he is utterly unbelievable as a "scientist." His "scientific" investigation is a joke to anyone who has ever done any kind of field research in any subject. Bob, you have to at least make your scientist behave a little like a real scientist would.

What else. Oh, the dialogue is stilted and unnatural throughout. Nobody talks like that. Nobody ever did.

Almost all of these flaws must be laid at the feet of Wise, who directed West Side Story directly before and The Sound of Music directly after this film. Directorially, those were praiseworthy achievements. I don't know what happened. Work with me here; does Robert Wise have an evil twin brother that I don't know about?

What the film does extremely well is in the areas of set design, cinematography and sound. This is the go-to film to prove that you can coax a scare out of nothing but light and shadow and some good sound effects. There are three or four well-earned scares in the flick. But if we're going to give a film a pass—and even high marks—just for excellence in set design and cinematography—plus a handful of hits among the misses—we're going to have to call off the spit-ball fusillades against the 2003 Haunted Mansion movie, aren't we? As a matter of fact, as different as they are, the two films are comparable. There are at least three or four well-done, entertaining moments (if not whole scenes) in the HM flick too. The set design and the costume and makeup effects (thank you, Rick Baker), are superb, as everyone admits. The common opinion set, declaring The Haunting a work of genius and The Haunted Mansion a piece of junk, is just lazy hypocrisy.

Okay, that's a minority view, admittedly, but I had to get it off my chest. If The Haunting is the best haunted house film evah, that says more about how wretchedly bad most haunted house films are than it does about The Haunting.
    I agree 100%. Julie Harris' character in the entire original "Haunting" film is especially cringeworthy. But, the set design and cinematography are so fantastic, that it's bearable & almost forgiveable. I actually like the 90's remake as well (in a different way- sans for Owen Wilson's HORRIBLE acting skills of course. In fact, I clapped & cheered when he lost his head in the remake).

Oh, and congratsarama to all on the news of our fantastic attic friends upcoming return!
    Jon A. Leslie
    nojarama
    http://www.nojarama.com

• Honorary Jungle Skipper

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Clarrification from another thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    It was a vague reference by two imagineers at yesterday's Destination D event. They were talking about the old Haunted Mansion album cover and the lone public reference to the Hatbox Ghost. Then one of them said "Which will be coming back soon.". Another said "Thats the buzz.".

Beyond that, I know nothing.

That sounds a whole lot less promising.

• Inhospitable about happy

Yes, that's a major clarification. Better cool those jets for awhile.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

In other news...

A guy left a comment at my blog under the "Hitchhikers in the Mirror" post from last April. Says he first rode the Mansion October 1, 1969, and the wispy ghost effect was in use that day. Rode again a few months later and the familiar Gus-Ezra-Phineas roulette was there.

This is only the second time I've had an eyewitness confirm my account (and the first eyewitness turned out to a completely unreliable character). It's also the only evidence I've heard that they continued to use the wispy-ghost thing as a backup for several months at least.

For those of you who don't know, I'm talking about the original "Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect" that started this mammoth Thread three-and-a-half years ago. We'll have to do something special when it's old enough to vote.

• Larger Than (After)Life

Couple of things —

As you can see, this is my 999th post, a magic number to Haunted Mansion fans. I am enjoying this moment — and looking forward to the lovely, yellow star that will grace my userbox, when I reach post #1,000. It's been quite a ride. Who knew that I could say so much about so little, and have such a good time doing it.

I don't think I've ever enjoyed a message board more, despite the few hitches, here and there. Overall, you people are wonderful — fun, interesting, generous, knowledgeable, artistic, passionate, opinionated — each with your own unique qualities that you bring to this amazing online community. It's been a real pleasure, and I'm very happy and honored to be a part of this experience. So, thank you. And, especially, thank you to the many volunteers, supporters and moderators who keep this site going. For me, MiceChat has become a magical, almost daily stop along the information superhighway.

OK, back to business —

Last night, I shot off a PM to DustySage and the reply I received is the same as was posted here and at the thread devoted to yours ghoully's return. Although not the absolute confirmation we'd hoped, it is certainly not a denial. Perhaps I'm being optimistic, but I don't believe foolishly so. At this point, I think that we can bank on a homecoming. It's just a matter of when. And that "when" may or may not be dictated by the release and/or popularity of the upcoming Del Toro "Haunted Mansion" film. Personally, I do not foresee it failing. In fact, quite the opposite. I think it's going to be a huge success.

Finally, O — M — G —!!!!!

Today, I received the October, 2010 issue of Westways and, on page 20, found the following:

LOAFERS!

(Sorry for the graininess but the original screened image measures only 1-5/8 inches x 2-1/2 inches.)

This is from the exhibit, "Fashioning Fashion: European Dress in Detail, 1700 - 1915," at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art.

I HATE THOSE PANTS!!!

And so I end post #999.

• Pumpkin Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by TheHatboxGhost View Post
    If WDI makes you wear loafers, I will die >_<

Hattie is much better then to wear loafers.
    STOP CHEWING MY SHOELACES! D:

Ahh! The project is on fire! D:
    This fire has delayed our signature redesigning, Excuse the smoke...and the burnt pixie dust...
    I SUPPORT THE RETURN OF THE HATBOX GHOST!

• Larger Than (After)Life

Quote Originally Posted by FantasmicDragon View Post
    Hattie is much better then to wear loafers.
    Um, apparently not.

TOP: Kevin Kidney's Hattie, BOTTOM: Original Hattie (Photo by HBG2)

Speaking of movies...and no pants...

I'm working on a blog post about cinematic influences on the HM, and of course the parade example is Robert Wise's 1963 The Haunting, often cited as the best haunted house movie of all time. Google around and you find little but praise for the film. I've got a DVD and have seen it many times.

I'm sorry, but...The Emperor Has No Clothes.
    A subject which interests me deeply. I'd like to follow the Mansion's current of aesthetics both backward and forward. The other movie which probably fed into HM is Robert Castle's "House on Haunted Hill". It's a livelier and cruder movie than "The Haunting". Vincent Price as the host of the strange party seems roughly similar to the Ghost Host.

I do like The Haunting, although it leans too much towards subtlety. It reflects, approximately, the mood of the Mansion from Load to the Corridor of Doors, but with less vigor and whimsy. The voice crying "Let me out of here", for example, would certainly not fit in that movie.

The exterior photography of the building, shot with IR film, conveys a grimness beyond anything in HM. Particularly those vaguely human-shaped windows filled with black, reflecting glass.

I actually enjoyed the stylized dialog and acting. The movie does hinge largely on Eleanor's inner life, that sort of thing being Shirley Jackson's recurring interest; I see how that could annoy.

Unfortunately, the best-loved scare in the movie escapes me. It's "Whose hand was I holding?" It's like an optical illusion you either get or don't.

Aw shucks, HBG, we wuv you too.

In keeping with my policy of giving Threadheads first peek at any groovy visuals planned for El Bloggo, here are a couple of animated gifs. There's a free program out there (GIFfun) that makes it absurdly easy to create simple gifs, provided you have the stills. Here's the most famous and obvious movie borrowing in the HM: the bulging CoD doors and "The Haunting."

• Banned User

That old dark house at the end of the dimly lit street.

Aw shucks, HBG, we wuv you too.

In keeping with my policy of giving Threadheads first peek at any groovy visuals planned for El Bloggo, here are a couple of animated gifs. There's a free program out there (GIFfun) that makes it absurdly easy to create simple gifs, provided you have the stills. Here's the most famous and obvious movie borrowing in the HM: the bulging CoD doors and "The Haunting."

I have yet to see the haunting.
    It's about #7 on my things to do list for this year.

After my harsh review, I should also mention that there is a very good suicide-by-hanging scene early in the film. Credit where due.

• Haunted Mansion Fanatic

I have to respectfully disagree with you HBG. The Haunting is personally one of my favorite films, and the reason why I think so many people bash the Haunted Mansion is simply that it’s a very poorly plotted movie, and I’d much rather listen to Julie Harris’ ramblings than Eddie Murphy spout one more bad liner.
    I can completely understand how one may find Eleanor annoying, but I wouldn’t go so far to call her a “drama queen.” By that assumption, every clinically depressed, mentally unstable person is “just a drama queen.” Eleanor is a fragile person who is up to her very last wit’s end. She believes that she is responsible for the murder of her mother (as she did not respond to her mother’s late night calls on the evening she died), and her sister as we see in the beginning just loves throwing that always back into her face. To me it’s perfectly understand why she’s so bipolar and believe everybody is out to get her, as her sister is always taunting her, thus understandably she doesn’t trust a soul. The voiceover thing in the movie is always a bit odd to me however I have to admit. The reason why Wise noted this was because in Shirley Jackson’s novel Eleanor has so many hidden thoughts to herself that he described it would be difficult to work with her character without them. But yeah, I still agree that it can be off-putting at times.
    Personally I think the best parts of the film however are Claire Bloom’s performance as the sly lesbian clairvoyant Theo, and Russ Tamblyn as Luke and Lois Maxwell as Mrs. Markway. As you said the cinematography is exceptional, but I think in no way is the story weak, as Eleanor is supposed to be a rather unlikable character at times, as she’s constantly struggling with her own emotional instabilities.
    Personally, as a big fan of Jackson’s book, I feel like it lost a little something in the movie. In the original book, Mrs. Montague (the doctor’s name in the book) is actually even more of a big fanatic of the supernatural than her husband, with her and her chauffeur trying to contact the ghosts of Hill House with oujia boards and other methods her husband scoffs at as silly parlor tricks. (I do like the touch though of making her a skeptic in the film).
    Also there’s two interesting scenes in the book that I wish they kept in the film. The first was Theo going back to her room, only to discover everything from her clothes to her walls covered in blood-like red liquid. On the wall in her room is inscribed again “Eleanor, please come home!” The second one is Eleanor and Theo go exploring out to the river in the woods behind the house. While walking down, they suddenly see a young Victorian couple across the way having a picnic. They turn slowly to look at them, causing Eleanor and Theo to panic and run. They run through the woods for what seems like a short time, only when they get back to the house, the doctor and Luke remark that they’ve been gone for hours.

• Minion

New Epic Mickey footage shows off the Ballroom Organ and indicates we will be visiting the Attic as well during Mickey's trip to the Mansion.

YouTube - Epic Mickey: Exclusive Haunted Mansion Gameplay
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

• Minion

I'm fairly impressed by Epic Mickey so far, atleast its not as impossible as Mickeys Wild Adventure

And I quite liked The Haunting, its not an amazing film, but its not all that bad. I can't say I noticed the references to Haunted Mansion when I watched it for the first time, this gives me a good enough reason to re-watch it.

• Who are you again?

I'm betting my life's savings that Lonesome Manor is going to be my favorite level in Epic Mickey
    Hello? I seem to be in some sort of inter dimensional dimension with no way in or out....Send Help! and Pie! pumpkin peferably

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM