Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Nutty about Disney parks

Re: DCA World of Color/Mermaid - overhyped?

It's too early to call on The Little Mermaid ride since they only have the framing up so far. I'm trying to keep my expectations low but you never know. Disney might really give us on awesome dark ride here. I doubt it but it's fun to hope.

I'm not big on outdoor shows so I dunno what to think of WOC. It doesnt sound like anything that would super wow me but it's likely to be a pretty good show.

• Out Of State AP Holder

At first, when the grand overview of this DCA's massive redo was announced, I wasn't too excited for World Of Color. However, after seeing some test shots of the show in more recent months, my interest has grown and now I can't wait to see it.

But as for "over-hyping", I believe the only over-hyping I'm seeing here is the crowd situation. There are some people here who make it seem like this show will attract crowds that are gonna make the park break into a massive riot and cause the park to cave in.

I mean, I know getting a good view won't be as easy as walking onto The Golden Zephyr, there will be a good crowd, seeing as the show is new and highly anticipated. But I'm pretty sure you're gonna see the show from a good view at least ONCE during your visit. It's not like all 40,000 people who go to the resort each day are gonna crowd around the lagoon.

Bottom line is, I, along with a good amount of people here, are excited for this show, and I'm sure all of us who go will see it.

As for the Little Mermaid... I don't see much hype going into that. I'm sure the ride will have a great wait time due to the ride system.

• Artistic integrity

Can't say if WoC is being overhyped ... as I have been avoiding many topics to avoid spoilers.

Already in this topic .. someone said they are expecting Little Mermaid to be on the scale of an "E Ticket" __near__ Potc and HM ... and with that being said .... I would say - overall .. from one topic to another over the last year, it's being over-hyped. Not just here, but other forums ... Little Mermaid IS being over-hyped to be a major E Ticket.

I was looking at some recent photos of the construction site. And the more I look at them .. the more I'm confirming my own assertion to expect a good "D" and nothing more.

More here - http://micechat.com/forums/blogs/dat...tion-more.html

I'm thinking of the reviews of the ride already - "It was not the E Ticket I was expecting!"

I have a suggestion for everyone - keep your expectation to a "D" .. and you won't be so disappointed when the ride opens.
    Last edited by Tomorrowland_1967; 05-04-2010 at 03:59 PM.

• Dive ..... Dive.....

I'm hoping it will be a two story attraction judging by the height of the building.

• The 70th Matt Named Super

Eh...I've already realized that I overhyped WoC to myself. As I said in another post, I just set my expectations way too high. In Disney's defense, I'm not even sure that they could have met my expectations. I had just built my own show in my head and expected it to be that awesome! In my defense, Disney had set the bar pretty high with the overhaul of F!, Dumbo flying in Magical, HallowScreams and R...DCT. As CinderellaStory said, "Disney Quality." What WoC has shown me is that, by reading much of these boards, my ideas of awesome & "Disney Quality" are not universally shared. I think that many of the posters here I enjoy reading actually said that the original Sherman Brothers WoC song was "boring."

I'm still flying out for a week in June & I'm sure that WoC will be very pretty, but from what I've seen in the unofficial & official videos so far, it's probably not going to be rated much higher than a WDW show for me. After all, I would expect Captain Jack over Alice in Wonderland at WDW any way.

As for Little Mermaid, I'm keeping my expectations in check.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
    Can't say if WoC is being overhyped ... as I have been avoiding many topics to avoid spoilers.

Already in this topic .. someone said they are expecting Little Mermaid to be on the scale of an "E Ticket" __near__ Potc and HM ... and with that out of the way .... I would say - overall .. from one topic to another over the last year. Not just here, but other forums ... Little Mermaid IS being overhyped to be the major E Ticket.

I was looking at some recent photos of the construction site. And the more I look at them .. the more I'm confirming my own assertion to expect a good "D" and nothing more.

More here - http://micechat.com/forums/blogs/dat...tion-more.html

I'm thinking of the reviews of the ride already - "It was not the E Ticket I was expecting!"

I have a suggestion for everyone - keep your expectation to a "D" .. and you won't be so disappointed when the ride opens.

Two years ago, when WDI was presenting the Little Mermaid, the slide was labeled as a "D" ticket. But after that some folks were saying that it's now an E. But I never officially heard it from Disney.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Yeti Enthusiast

I'm sure WOC will attract a lot of guests and attention, but it doesn't look like it will appeal to me very much. It looks like it's largely a celebration of the last 20 years of Disney/Pixar (Not really my cup of tea) with little nods to the past added in between. And with the rumors of Iger scaling back even those little nods, my interest has waned dramatically.

I think anyone expecting TLM to be on the scale of POTC and HM has little to no understanding of what makes those attractions great. I'm expecting something a little fancier than the Fantasyland attractions...but nothing more. It looks like it will be a good attraction with little or no thematic connection to either the park or the land it will inhabit. It probably should have been built in the old Motorboat Cruise area 15 years ago.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by Matterhorn Boy View Post
    I'm sure WOC will attract a lot of guests and attention, but it doesn't look like it will appeal to me very much. It looks like it's largely a celebration of the last 20 years of Disney/Pixar (Not really my cup of tea) with little nods to the past added in between. And with the rumors of Iger scaling back even those little nods, my interest has waned dramatically.

I think anyone expecting TLM to be on the scale of POTC and HM has little to no understanding of what makes those attractions great. I'm expecting something a little fancier than the Fantasyland attractions...but nothing more. It looks like it will be a good attraction with little or no thematic connection to either the park or the land it will inhabit. It probably should have been built in the old Motorboat Cruise area 15 years ago.

There is truly something magical about Pirates and Haunted Mansion and I think a lot of it is attributed to 1) where they're located and b) subject matter.

PIrates and Ghosts are things of folklore and treated in a realistic but yet.... stylized and fun way. There's something cool about these attractions and they're also original concepts that were for a long time, only something you can experience in the parks.

The Little Mermaid is a great animated film, but as a ride, it's going to have to be a whole lot more than a retelling of the movie for me to love it on the same caliber as Haunted Mansion. It needs to have a great set up, great animatronics, great detail, and amazing effects. It also needs a fantastic story so that one can enjoy it even without having seen the film.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Artistic integrity

Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf View Post
    I'm hoping it will be a two story attraction judging by the height of the building.
    The quick answer - it won't be.

Secondly ... you must have missed this topic:

Track layout for The Little Mermaid: Ariel's Undersea Adventure attraction?

.... which clearly shows Little Mermaid is indeed a "one story" attraction.

• Banned User

My expectations are simple: I'm hoping to enjoy them when I see/expience them. I never want to overhype a coming attraction, and risk being disappointed. When they open, just go in with an open mind, and a hope that you will like what you see.

• Collision speed....FULL!

Quote Originally Posted by Duane View Post
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding but it seems to me like the upcoming World of Color show and Mermaid attraction are being overblown by a mile. I'm seeing the World of Color show as nothing more than a different version of Fantasmic. It's simply another show with water being sprayed as lights shine and music plays. The Mermaid attraction is supposed to be a dynamic E-ticket but, judging from the size of the show building under construction, it looks to be comparable to Peter Pan or Toy Story Midway Mania. Can anyone share additional information to help me be excited?
    Don't judge a ride by it's building (especially one that still being built). The building is massive, it's the camera lens that squashes it and makes it look smaller. You can fit a Haunted Mansion minus the front facade if you move the volume around.

Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf View Post
    I still think Fantasmic will be the better show in the long run. After seeing WOC online it doesn't look like it has repeatability. You simply cannot expect fountains to replace live characters, pyro, giant animatronics, and a variety of unexpected vehicles. The only way for them to keep the show going is to change it up every so often so we aren't seeing the same sequence every time. I'm sorry to say but this show simply wont stay fresh past the 10 year mark without major modifications in the future, the same will happen with Carsland.

Oh, sometimes I wish the internet wasn't around, so people would actually go to the park and see things in person as they were intended and THEN give a valid judgement...

• We Go On.

Definitely. I have seen WoC. Showpass is a nightmare. I have also ridden TLM. It's not even close to an E-Ticket. So overhyped.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

For The Little Mermaid dark ride, let's take a look at the other more recent darkrides that were added to the Disneyland Resort, and how successful they were:

Roger Rabbit - Elaborate Queue in a highly uniquely themed land. Spinning toon vehicle, gives you a great view regardless of direction, Great effect at the end, escaping through a hole. Solid D-ticket

Indiana Jones - Also an excellent themed queue inside and out, in the right themed land, unique technology developed for the vehicle, great special effects (although some have disappeared), and also another great escape end. Still widely held as one of the World's top dark ride. Solid E-Ticket

Superstar Limo - The only darkride in DCA on opening day (well ok, maybe one of two, since Soarin is a darkride). A ride in a Tooney Limo, with ride through an ug-leee cartoon version if Hollywood. All guests were dumbfounded at the exit, and their was photographic proof to support that statement. No real AA's in the ride. This has the dubious distinction of being the shortest darkride in the history of Disney. B-Ticket.

Winnie the Pooh - Abused, reused, and repurposed TWO country bear Theaters, for some non AA ride thru on a beehive vehicle that the nauseating rolling movement first used in Toontowns Jolley Trolley. This was the 3rd Winnie the Pooh darkride in a Disney location, and the one with the most limited effects. B-Ticket

Buzz Lightyear - Cartoon space theme in Tomorrowland, wtih mostly two-D targets and a couple of 3-D targets. C-Ticket.

Nemo Subs - Thankfully the subs are in use again, athough the scenerly is less than what it should be. Vehicles definitely unique to DL, not to mention the history. D-Ticket

Little Mermaid - Omni mover vehicles, cute scenery, best this could be is a D-Ticket. hopefully not a C-ticket.

• Collision speed....FULL!

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    Little Mermaid - Omni mover vehicles, cute scenery, best this could be is a D-Ticket. hopefully not a C-ticket.
    "Cute scenery" is an understatement.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    For WoC -

My main concern, all along is how is just a water and light show, with some fire effects, going to outshine other Disney entertainment. It will be using the most up to date fountains, but other shows incorporate a MUCH wider variety of elements within their shows. Fantasmic! is the obvious comparrison, it has a whole stage to use with Tom Sawyer Island, it has the rafts, the Columbia, and the Mark Twains, also, tons of Disney Character in person, and with F! the most boring sections are the segments with only images projected on the fountains. How will WoC be able to bring that same level of entertainment, with just projections on fountain?
    Have you ever seen Illuminations at Epcot? Because basically its the same idea, with just big firework barges in the middle of the lagoon, a big Earth globe in the middle with NO performers, characters, boats, 40 feet dragons, nothing and THAT show has been packing them in for a decade now. I seen it several times in person, standing room only. And of course you can say that about fireworks in general. Its nothing but fireworks we've seen a thousand times already, but you throw in music and special things like lasers, animation, etc its repeatable again and again and you dont need an of those things you mentioned to keep bringing people back.

And I think its not like its just projections actually, but a COMBINATION of projections, water sprouting everywhere, pyro and music will keep people entertained for a long time to come. Now am I saying it will be more popular than F!, the jury obviously is out, but it has the potential to be as popular and if nothing us, its still going to be the biggest show you will ever get at DCA, period.

And yeah thats the beauty of the show, they can always change and adapt it in time. They can throw in other movies, cartoon characters, make specific holiday shows, etc. The list is endless so even if and when it gets stale they can change it up a bit in the future.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast