Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 60
  1. #31

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    4,387

    Re: DCA World of Color/Mermaid - overhyped?

    I am a bit tired of all this criticism for projects not even finished... "Carsland will be saved by its rockwork and will be outdated in ten years" ... "World of Color looks like a let down from the internet videos I've seen" ... "The Little Mermaid will be a cute ride but nothing more" ... Sheesh, sheesh, sheesh....

  2. #32

    • Autobot Weapon Specialist
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Santa Ana, CA
    Posts
    6,230

    Re: DCA World of Color/Mermaid - overhyped?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    For WoC -

    My main concern, all along is how is just a water and light show, with some fire effects, going to outshine other Disney entertainment. It will be using the most up to date fountains, but other shows incorporate a MUCH wider variety of elements within their shows. Fantasmic! is the obvious comparrison, it has a whole stage to use with Tom Sawyer Island, it has the rafts, the Columbia, and the Mark Twains, also, tons of Disney Character in person, and with F! the most boring sections are the segments with only images projected on the fountains. How will WoC be able to bring that same level of entertainment, with just projections on fountain?

    So far the musical score for WoC sound promising. Even the most recent video that Disney released for WoC shows that they are doing some different effects with the projections. And the wider variety of fountains will help, too. The Fire effects look like they will add some needed variety to the dramatic portion of WoC. I'm cautiously optimistic. BUT, my expectations are currently set for something a couple steps below F!
    To be honest with you. How are fireworks any different? People go crazy over fireworks and some Disney fans cry over the emotional impact of RDCT. It's just circular fire going boom and making pretty but irrelevant shapes in the sky. Yet that is sooo much more than World of Color? I don't think so.


  3. #33

    •   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    8,175

    Re: DCA World of Color/Mermaid - overhyped?

    Quote Originally Posted by WDITrent View Post
    Definitely. I have seen WoC. Showpass is a nightmare. I have also ridden TLM. It's not even close to an E-Ticket. So overhyped.

    Lolz. This post is win.
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

  4. #34

    • Future Indy Castmember
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Torrance, California, United States
    Posts
    5,553

    Re: DCA World of Color/Mermaid - overhyped?

    Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond View Post
    Lolz. This post is win.
    LOL I agree. I could imagine that a quater of the feedback will be like this.



    Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics
    Check out the
    MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011



    The world is a treasure trove of places.
    The colors of Earth, Sea and Sky. Beauty i'm told, is ours to behold. In the wonderful world of color.
    Indy Ride Count: 2211
    World of Color Count: 74

  5. #35

    • Sharing a Paopu Fruit
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    1,484
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: DCA World of Color/Mermaid - overhyped?

    Quote Originally Posted by stevo505 View Post
    I am a bit tired of all this criticism for projects not even finished... "Carsland will be saved by its rockwork and will be outdated in ten years" ... "World of Color looks like a let down from the internet videos I've seen" ... "The Little Mermaid will be a cute ride but nothing more" ... Sheesh, sheesh, sheesh....
    Agreed.

  6. #36

    • MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Suspended
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Agrabah
    Posts
    11,161

    Re: DCA World of Color/Mermaid - overhyped?

    Quote Originally Posted by WorldDisney View Post
    Have you ever seen Illuminations at Epcot? Because basically its the same idea, with just big firework barges in the middle of the lagoon, a big Earth globe in the middle with NO performers, characters, boats, 40 feet dragons, nothing and THAT show has been packing them in for a decade now. I seen it several times in person, standing room only. And of course you can say that about fireworks in general. Its nothing but fireworks we've seen a thousand times already, but you throw in music and special things like lasers, animation, etc its repeatable again and again and you dont need an of those things you mentioned to keep bringing people back.

    And I think its not like its just projections actually, but a COMBINATION of projections, water sprouting everywhere, pyro and music will keep people entertained for a long time to come. Now am I saying it will be more popular than F!, the jury obviously is out, but it has the potential to be as popular and if nothing us, its still going to be the biggest show you will ever get at DCA, period.

    And yeah thats the beauty of the show, they can always change and adapt it in time. They can throw in other movies, cartoon characters, make specific holiday shows, etc. The list is endless so even if and when it gets stale they can change it up a bit in the future.
    I have seen Illuminations, and quite frankly, I'm just not that impressed with the show. Some of the lasar effects are interesting, BUT it's too small a show, for how big the lake is. World of Color doesn't seem to have much similar to Illuminations.

    One thing that WoC will have as an advantage over Illuminations will be that the show in DCA will use nearly the entire body of water, and that the guests will be up close to the fountains. So I definitely expect WoC to be better than Illuminations. BUT, I still don't think WoC is going to be able to go anywhere near dethroning F! at DL as the show with water, lights and much more.

    Yeah, WoC may have plans for other holiday shows, and IF that happens, that will add some of the necessary variety that this show will need. And WoC will give DCA something unique to see, which is a plus. So on separate merrits, it will be ok. But it will be difficult for this show to surpass F! and the Electrical Parade for appeal. And the limited effects of the WoC show still does have me concerned.

    The limited viewing area has also been a concern of mine, the whole time, as I have wanted them to clear that entire side of the puddle, for WoC, including Golden Zephyr and Jumpin Jellies, and then to center the show on that entire side. BUT, instead they have a MUCH smaller viewing area. Now the infastructure is in, and it's really too late too making a larger ideal viewing area.

    So, the limited effects and less variety of infastructure along with the limited ideal viewing area for WoC will have a much more difficult time keeping the interest of the guests, than F! And as popular as the Electrical Parade is, I'm not sure WoC is going to be able to top that in popularity.

  7. #37

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    3,260

    Re: DCA World of Color/Mermaid - overhyped?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    I have seen Illuminations, and quite frankly, I'm just not that impressed with the show. Some of the lasar effects are interesting, BUT it's too small a show, for how big the lake is. World of Color doesn't seem to have much similar to Illuminations.

    One thing that WoC will have as an advantage over Illuminations will be that the show in DCA will use nearly the entire body of water, and that the guests will be up close to the fountains. So I definitely expect WoC to be better than Illuminations. BUT, I still don't think WoC is going to be able to go anywhere near dethroning F! at DL as the show with water, lights and much more.

    Yeah, WoC may have plans for other holiday shows, and IF that happens, that will add some of the necessary variety that this show will need. And WoC will give DCA something unique to see, which is a plus. So on separate merrits, it will be ok. But it will be difficult for this show to surpass F! and the Electrical Parade for appeal. And the limited effects of the WoC show still does have me concerned.

    The limited viewing area has also been a concern of mine, the whole time, as I have wanted them to clear that entire side of the puddle, for WoC, including Golden Zephyr and Jumpin Jellies, and then to center the show on that entire side. BUT, instead they have a MUCH smaller viewing area. Now the infastructure is in, and it's really too late too making a larger ideal viewing area.

    So, the limited effects and less variety of infastructure along with the limited ideal viewing area for WoC will have a much more difficult time keeping the interest of the guests, than F! And as popular as the Electrical Parade is, I'm not sure WoC is going to be able to top that in popularity.
    Okay fair enough, but this is the thing though. WOC doesnt have to dethrone F!, it just has to be good for what it is. NOWHERE has Disney even said that this show was going to be bigger and better than F!. I think A. They dont want to give themselves that kind of pressure lol and B. I think they just want you to judge the show on its own merits. I have NO clue if it will be better than F! or not, and dont care really, just as long as its a good show. Now if they were REPLACING F! with this, thats something different, but obviously thats not the case. So I dont know, wont know until I see it for myself and as long as I like it, I like it.

    And I was making the point with Illuminations that its a VERY popular show with just fireworks, a few lasers and much more low key fountains--but people love it. It was just suppose to be a temporary show, but the popularity of it kept it around a decade and its still go strong, even if it is 'underwelming' compared to other shows. If we compare every night time, firework show and E ticket together with each other, we are going to be more dissappointed than happy frankly. But on its own, it seems to work with most people.

    And its fine you have your concerns over it though, but we wont know how much its really loved and repeatable until regular audiences start viewing it. But I have a feeling its going to be wall to wall of people to see it for quite awhile.

    And I agree about the limited viewing area...that might hurt it. But then everyone talked to death how RDCT was only worth seeing in front of the castle to see everything....but people got over that too when they realized even with not seeing everything is still one hell of a show. Again, we have to wait and see.

  8. #38

    • MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles & Orange County
    Posts
    21,537

    Re: DCA World of Color/Mermaid - overhyped?

    Even without seeing it, I think I can predict based on what I've seen so far that World of Color will be a preferred show over Illuminations.


    They ARE completely different types of shows with different subject matters, but I think I'll just enjoy WoC that much more. Heck, I'm a sucker for the old Dancing Waters (fantasy waters?) at the Disneyland Hotel when I was growing up.


    Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

    Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

  9. #39

    • Light up the HALO!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Sparks, NV
    Posts
    360

    Re: DCA World of Color/Mermaid - overhyped?

    WOC is the worst show ever made. I can't believe Disney wasted all of this money. What they should have done was brought Luminara back!
    As we say to the animals, that's the end of the lion.

    RACE THROUGH THE UNIVERSE, CAREEN THROUGH THE STARS.

    Space Mountain





  10. #40

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    3,260

    Re: DCA World of Color/Mermaid - overhyped?

    Quote Originally Posted by junglecskipper View Post
    WOC is the worst show ever made. I can't believe Disney wasted all of this money. What they should have done was brought Luminara back!
    Paul Pressler when did you become a Micechat member?

  11. #41

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Buena Vista St.
    Posts
    1,887

    Re: DCA World of Color/Mermaid - overhyped?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    For WoC -

    My main concern, all along is how is just a water and light show, with some fire effects, going to outshine other Disney entertainment. It will be using the most up to date fountains, but other shows incorporate a MUCH wider variety of elements within their shows. Fantasmic! is the obvious comparrison, it has a whole stage to use with Tom Sawyer Island, it has the rafts, the Columbia, and the Mark Twains, also, tons of Disney Character in person, and with F! the most boring sections are the segments with only images projected on the fountains. How will WoC be able to bring that same level of entertainment, with just projections on fountain?
    The same way fireworks shows, that also dont utilize live actors,sail boats etc still entertain guests.

  12. #42

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Buena Vista St.
    Posts
    1,887

    Re: DCA World of Color/Mermaid - overhyped?

    Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf View Post
    I still think Fantasmic will be the better show in the long run. After seeing WOC online it doesn't look like it has repeatability. You simply cannot expect fountains to replace live characters, pyro, giant animatronics, and a variety of unexpected vehicles. The only way for them to keep the show going is to change it up every so often so we aren't seeing the same sequence every time. I'm sorry to say but this show simply wont stay fresh past the 10 year mark without major modifications in the future, the same will happen with Carsland.

    I think your gonna be surprised. WoC will make Fantasmic look very old and outdated when it premieres. I know its blasphemy to say this, but DCA will actually have something BETTER than Disneyland for once.

  13. #43

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    4,387

    Re: DCA World of Color/Mermaid - overhyped?

    Quote Originally Posted by Imag1neer View Post
    The same way fireworks shows, that also dont utilize live actors,sail boats etc still entertain guests.
    I also have to add that WOC won't only be projection on water. There will be lasers, fire, an amazing musical score, and so much more.

  14. #44

    • Glitter.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Sonoma County
    Posts
    1,138

    Re: DCA World of Color/Mermaid - overhyped?


  15. #45

    •   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    8,175

    Re: DCA World of Color/Mermaid - overhyped?

    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyRicky View Post
    This is an early concept for a Magic Kingdom style park and does not reflect the ride they are actually building, just for clarity's sake.
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Idea] World Of Color Segment Color of Dreams
    By hawk671 in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-18-2010, 10:08 PM
  2. [Idea] World of Color: Color of Dreams Segment
    By hawk671 in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-22-2010, 09:49 PM
  3. [Question] world of color
    By mickdaddy in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-23-2010, 05:39 PM
  4. [Question] World of Color or Cars land or Little Mermaid
    By SoCalbma in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 10-30-2009, 02:01 PM
  5. Small world without color or in color
    By napamaninsocal in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 10-10-2007, 08:58 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •