Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Banned User

Buzz NOT $40 million. Budget at $15-20 million

-Well, if your thinking an "epic ride" at Disneyland is something that costs at least $40 million, you just rode the newest ride at the Park that was probably that much to build.

Just not true. WED budgeted this attraction at 15-20mil, and it shows. Deifintely not an E.

The excuse that they did the best the could in the limited space is lame. There is plenty of Space to build UP, and down. You would need to look at TOkyo Dinseny Seas, and how they built the amazing underground Mermaid Land. Spacemountian Florida wisely uses sub-level spacing (and, upper level space). Disney simply built yet another ride on the cheap. They could have built UP/DOWN, made an epic E ticket.

I swear, I rode this once, had no passion to ride it again. But, 40 years later, I can ride Pirates, Mansion, over and over.

Gosh….all this negativity! It’s Buzz Lightyear people, not The Haunted Mansion! And I’m here to report (very happily) that we’ve indeed gotten the far superior Tokyo version of the ride for our little Disneyland Resort. It’s nearly a carbon copy of Tokyo’s in fact.,,with a few extras, and a few minuses (but none that can’t be fixed).

The good:
    - A ride with GREAT repeatability for a park that’s mostly locals. Beating your personal best score will make it a huge hit.
    - The FABULOUS preshow from Tokyo has made it here in full glory. I couldn’t believe it myself…but there was the etch a sketch…AND the REMOVEABLE guns, instead of the dreadful ‘locked down’ version in Florida.
    - EVERY improved lighting and special effect is in full blast at our version. Visually, it’s just like Tokyo’s folks…we have not been shortened one bit
    - Very unique online aspect which sets ours apart from the other two versions. The fact that you can email yourself FREE pictures is AMAZING in the time and day of $14 pictures. This is a WONDERFUL step in the right direction.
    - I loved Tokyo’s…and I love ours. This is NOT MEANT TO BE AN E TICKET, but it still has elements of E tickets (like the wonderful Animatronics) that are better then the AAs in ANY of Disneyland’s D-ticket attractions and LEAUGES better then anything in pooh. It’s so obviously better from the dreadful Florida version in every way I honestly can’t believe there are complaints here…

The quirky:

- They still need to calibrate the guns. There are clearly bugs with aiming right now, and mostly it has to do with the whole online aspect they’re working on. But I was able to get “Level 7” in Tokyo’s after 5 rides and only “Level 4” in Disneyland after 10 rides. This isn’t my aim either…the calibration and accuracy of the lasers still have bugs in them. But….again…natural because this is a SOFT OPENING
    - There were a few ‘dead spots’ in our version where there should have been more targets to shoot at. In fact, there’s an entire wall in one section that’s very long with only one target to hit. I don’t remember as much ‘dead space’ in Tokyo’s…but I can’t see how hard it would be to add a few more targets in places that obviously need them.
    - The email system isn’t up yet, nor does the high score show up (so they should turn the email consoles off until they are working so no people are disappointed)
    - Our speed tunnel is the shortest of the 3 Buzz attractions…but just by a tiny bit compared to Tokyo’s. They use the same (superior over Florida) effect. And it’s dazzling.
    - They REALLY, REALLY need to ‘hold’ groups of people to watch the wonderful preshow. It’s only a minute long…and explains the whole attraction and how to use it. Right now people run by it, and don’t know what to do when they’re on the ride. Tokyo also has a chart showing how much each target is worth, points wise, and I was disappointed to see that ours (like Florida’s) doesn’t have this simple chart. It really helps to know that some are worth 10,000 points while others are 1000, 5000, etc. Again, very simple things to fix…but would help the experience.

My conclusion is that Tokyo may edge ours out just a bit, because it still needs the little tweaks to make it perfect. But once those are done, it’s really a tough call between the two rides. It’s a great, silly, whimsical attraction that appeals to all ages…especially those raised on video games. A great family attraction...and great addition to the park. After so many misses, WELL DONE DISNEYLAND!

• Old Timer

Oh oh, I'm already beginning to see another internet thumbs down on a new Disney project.

At least its not another SSL!

I am glad there is a new ride that preteens can enjoy, I liked Buzz at WDW but honestly I wished Disney could have outdone Universal with something as good as Men in Black, thats an awesome shooter!
    Micechat member # 98

TARDIS
    "Time And Relative Dimension In Space."

Thumbs up It's Thumbs Up For Me...

I was able to go on Buzz yesterday and only had to wait less than 10 minutes. Even tho I'm not really a Buzz Lightyear fan, over all I thought the attraction was great and very interactive! It's definitely a major step-up from the Pooh ride and you can tell Disney put a lot of money into Buzz. I personally think it'll be a huge hit from most people.

I'm just HAPPY they finally have something in the old Circle Vision building, and something that is worth going on. I say kudos to Matt for bringing us an attraction that was much needed in Tomorrowland. I have high hopes that this *land* will eventually make a wonderful come-back (more sooner than later) once everything is set and done!

Side Bar...even tho the Buzz character is not a *true* AA, it was still pretty impressive to me! The face was very clear and the audio perfect!

Patrick

• behind the curtain

I can't wait to try it in a couple weeks...

• Defeats the Huns

Quote Originally Posted by MiceMan
    Do you think they will still be having soft openings at the end of the month???
    I think it Officially opens on March 17th.

• That's Hawt

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralShang
    I think it Officially opens on March 17th.
    Oh! YAY! Well, I guess that answers my question ... thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by drunkmom
    this is my first buzzed post in the DMCA -- I'm really in this club because I'm a bitch more than anything. I've only had to hit the backspace 4 (oops, make that 5) times in (now 7) in this (now 9) (now 15) in this post! Damn, now I'm up to 18! Our neighbors were (19) (20) making tequilla sunrises. I thought I couldn't do tequilla (22) anymore but (24) this stuff (26) was good! It started (27) with an s

• He's a tramp...

My sister and I got to ride it last night (we were shocked to see a line so we quickly got in it). All I have to say is WOW!!!!! I didn't go on the Florida version when I was there (my sister did), but it was so much fun! I felt like a big kid. My hand hurt when the ride was over from trying to shoot everything in sight! It was good times
    Do you remember your imagination?
    When Neverland was your destination.
    Your magical adventure isn't over yet,
    Just hold on tight and don't forget...

-Remember When, Theme of Disneyland's 50th

• Fireworks Finatic!

Quote Originally Posted by zzyzx
    -Well, if your thinking an "epic ride" at Disneyland is something that costs at least $40 million, you just rode the newest ride at the Park that was probably that much to build.

Just not true. WED budgeted this attraction at 15-20mil, and it shows. Deifintely not an E.

The excuse that they did the best the could in the limited space is lame. There is plenty of Space to build UP, and down. You would need to look at TOkyo Dinseny Seas, and how they built the amazing underground Mermaid Land. Spacemountian Florida wisely uses sub-level spacing (and, upper level space). Disney simply built yet another ride on the cheap. They could have built UP/DOWN, made an epic E ticket.

I swear, I rode this once, had no passion to ride it again. But, 40 years later, I can ride Pirates, Mansion, over and over.
    15-20 million?!? That would make it less than the budget for Pooh, wouldn't it?

The Circle Vision building isn't that big. There is basically no way you could have built up or down. If you built up or down, a lot of planning for different aspects of the ride (ie Evacuations, re-routing everything under the CV building) has to go through. With new building codes, they probably could only build one level.

As with your mention of Tokyo Disney Seas Mermaid Lagoon, a friend told me that you don't really go underground. When you enter Mermaid Lagoon from the outside you are basically on the second level because as you walk towards that area, you are walking up an incline.

• Banned User

Cool posts which I repsect. Hey, anyone who rode Friday, how long did you wait?

Went on Buzz yesterday...we just walked over to see what the outside looked like, and were surprised to find it open. My kids and I had an absolute blast -- I really liked it!! We got there at 9:30 -- soon after the park opened, and walked right on. Later we kicked ourselves for not going on a few more times, but we had to quickly call all our Disney buddies who didn't come with us to gloat about being 1st!! Pretty sad, huh! Can't wait to go back and try again when the online features open up. By the way, they had the ride stopped when we first walked in, and about 3 cm's were coming/going trying to get the ride going. They got it handled in about a minutes time and it was back on line.

• Yes ... Wicked! ;)

Quote Originally Posted by AP2CM
    I JUST GOT CONFIRMATION, THE ATTRACTION IS OPEN TODAY (SOFT OPENING)! I'M NOT SURE FOR HOW LONG, BUT I'M HEADING DOWN NOW (BEFORE MY SHIFT). IF YOU'RE INTERESTED, COME ON DOWN AND CHECK IT OUT!

--remember, the usual disclaimers apply--

Thank you AP2CM! Yeah .. I went ... as normal (just like in WDW) I got a horrible score ... but I liked the ride! If only I could ride it all lone .. just me, about 3 empty cars in front of me and behind me ... this way if I see a red laser ... I'll KNOW it's mine. I kept thinking that I was hitting the targets and rackin' up the points ..... and I wasn't ... my boyfreind next to me ... it was HIS laser!! WHO KNOWS where I was shooting!!

• Rally Vixen

Blog Entries
    As we walked into Tomorrowland, I squealed like a little kid when I saw that the doors to Buzz were open.

The line was not long at all, maybe 10 minutes at most. I was so busy taking everything in that I didn't notice the wait time. I must say that I love the ride. The kids LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE the ride. My brother and his friend loved the ride. We got Fastpasses and rode it again later in the day.

Repeatability is going to be the key on this ride. I am going to want to ride through and not shoot to take in all the show elements. The Omnimover system is nice. The targets are cool. All my son could talk about is how cool the targets were.

There are five email stations at the end of the ride, but the lines were already bad and look as if they may be an issue during busy times at the park. It was relatively simple to send the emails though. They had more Buzz merchandise this weekend, but there are still too many pins in that store. In fact, I haven't received the email with our picture we sent this afternoon.

All in all, it is really nice to have some life back in Tomorrowland. I will guarantee that Buzz will be at the top of the priority list for each of our trips to Disneyland from now on. Fun for the whole family.
    Anything listed on the park maps as an attraction is fair game for inclusion in the Rally.
    I cannot confirm nor deny the inclusion of any attraction in the Rally.

May the Gumballs Be with You...Always.

NO GOATS!

• Hidden Mickey

It is still OPEN!!!

Thought I would give it a try to see if Buzz would be open this morning, Sat. March 5, and at 8:30 am it was with no line at all. It should be open from now till the official grand opening here and there. Of course it could always go down.

It was a good ride, fun, and sure to be a repeat visit. Not sure in waiting over an hour in line for this ride however. But would do a fastpass or short line visit of course. The technology of being able to e-mail a photo of you on the ride to friends is cool (the kiosk was working this morning, but I have yet to see the photo in my inbox, so not sure if it is really working yet) and the online gaming will be great to see as well.

Good to see a new ride in Tomorrowland.

• Sock Puppet

ZZYZX,,,
    Read your post, here, and on another board, and you seem mistaken for what an Audio Animatronic is. On the other board, you even claimed that 'WALT' agreed with you. That's silly. Especially, since he did know what defines an audio animatronic, and you do not.
    From an audio engineer, who has built home-made AA's, this is what it involves.
    An AA is built upon a soundtrack. You have music and voice. If you have ever been in a high-end recording studio, or seen one on TV, you have seen the faders on the mixing board go up and down on their own. This is called automation. In the very early days, it was done with tape. You moved a fader up on the board, it increased signal to that instrument or channel, which raised the amplitude, or effect, or whatever it is you were attempting to automate. Old AA's were done the same way. An engineer would listen to the audio, and send cues to the animatronic, based on the music or voice being performed. ie// double the voltage to the jaw assembly, and it opens, cut it in half, it closes again... This signal, was recorded on to tape, just as the music was. One reel of tape contained the music, sound effects, AND the commands for movement of the animatronic.
    The same is true today. It is stored a different way (digitally) and reproduced a different way (digitally) but is still programmed the same way, and reproduced the same way. Saying a digitally controlled, or rendered animatronic is not an audio-animatronic, is like saying that a song played from a CD is not music, or a DVD cannot be a movie.
    All digital media runs on a clock. Audio, video, have clocks they syncronize to. If the audio, and the physical movements (or in Buzz's case, projected movements) were not tied to the same clock, they would drift. By the end of a long day, the mouth movements would not match the voice. Here is a test, that will happen eventually. If the sound, voice, and music from the buzz ride stops, and his mouth still voices the words (or shall i say, the projector still projects facial movements), it is not an audio animatronic. If his movements, or projection slow, or stop, along with the sound, then it is, by all accounts, an audio animatronic. Not what you are used to maybe, but it is. It is not an AA by being retro, or made of wood, metal, or light projected upon a faceless mold. It is an AA due to the fact that its source for movement, is a aprt of, or chasing, the actual audio and/or voice.
    Thanks ZZYZX,, you've been a great student.

_Chris

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast