Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• The Magics in the details

Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Orville
    Matt is a great force of change, no doubt, but he merely "greenlights" these things to the studio for approval. IMHO, WDI deserves much of the credit for turning in an efficent and great show value for the money. Matt is finally the right audience for the creativy that was there all along. Space Mountain will be no less. Hats off to the Imagineering team! GREAT JOB!
    quite so...but the president has complete control over the budget and how far the imagineers can take their ideas. Look at the difference between DisneySea... and say... DCA. Same Imagineers (generally) but BUDGET makes all the difference. I'm not meaning to impune the work of WDI or the BLAB team, they did a great job with what they had to work with, but let's just say that if Harris or Pressler were here, the buzz area would more than likely still be the empty shell of what was Rocket Rods.

As for the quality of the attraction. Due to it's moderate budget, BLAB was not designed to be an E ticket... it's niche was really more of the C or D ticket variety with a high capacity designed to entertain and to keep guests out of the crowded walkways of the parks and on an attraction or in a queue. I think that this attraction accomplishes the task wonderfully and tastefully. I think lately, people have unrealistic expectations from TDA and WDI to create extra-elaborate experiences that will never really meet expectations. Let's cut 'em some slack and enjoy what we have. After all, IMHO out BLAB has one up on BLSRS at WDW.
    "To All Who Come To This Happy Place, Welcome!
    Disneyland is Your Land. Here age relives fond memories of the past, and youth can saver the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams and the hard facts that have created America, with the hope that it will be a source of joy an inspiration to all the world.
    "
    -- Walter Elias Disney, July 17, 1955 approx 4:35PM

For those of you that haven't been able to see it in the flesh yet, there is a video on www.RemainSeated.com that featured the whole attraction. The quality isn't great, but you can get a nice idea for how wonderful a job WDI did on this attraction. Sure, seeing it at DLR would be best, but if you're like me (sitting at a computer in Las Vegas) and can't make it out to Anaheim to see it this is an alternative certainly worth its bandwidth.

• They wanna know, HO!

Quote Originally Posted by Steak
    ZZYZX,,,
    Read your post, here, and on another board, and you seem mistaken for what an Audio Animatronic is. On the other board, you even claimed that 'WALT' agreed with you. That's silly. Especially, since he did know what defines an audio animatronic, and you do not.
    From an audio engineer, who has built home-made AA's, this is what it involves.
    An AA is built upon a soundtrack. You have music and voice. If you have ever been in a high-end recording studio, or seen one on TV, you have seen the faders on the mixing board go up and down on their own. This is called automation. In the very early days, it was done with tape. You moved a fader up on the board, it increased signal to that instrument or channel, which raised the amplitude, or effect, or whatever it is you were attempting to automate. Old AA's were done the same way. An engineer would listen to the audio, and send cues to the animatronic, based on the music or voice being performed. ie// double the voltage to the jaw assembly, and it opens, cut it in half, it closes again... This signal, was recorded on to tape, just as the music was. One reel of tape contained the music, sound effects, AND the commands for movement of the animatronic.
    The same is true today. It is stored a different way (digitally) and reproduced a different way (digitally) but is still programmed the same way, and reproduced the same way. Saying a digitally controlled, or rendered animatronic is not an audio-animatronic, is like saying that a song played from a CD is not music, or a DVD cannot be a movie.
    All digital media runs on a clock. Audio, video, have clocks they syncronize to. If the audio, and the physical movements (or in Buzz's case, projected movements) were not tied to the same clock, they would drift. By the end of a long day, the mouth movements would not match the voice. Here is a test, that will happen eventually. If the sound, voice, and music from the buzz ride stops, and his mouth still voices the words (or shall i say, the projector still projects facial movements), it is not an audio animatronic. If his movements, or projection slow, or stop, along with the sound, then it is, by all accounts, an audio animatronic. Not what you are used to maybe, but it is. It is not an AA by being retro, or made of wood, metal, or light projected upon a faceless mold. It is an AA due to the fact that its source for movement, is a aprt of, or chasing, the actual audio and/or voice.
    Thanks ZZYZX,, you've been a great student.

_Chris

Thank you! You put my ideas and emotions into words...
    ...a vaguely celtic music fills the air...

Buzz Lightyear- soft opening!

Just want to let you guys know that I stopped by the Resort last night for dinner and was surprised to see a line going into the new Buzz Lightyear building. At first we thought the line was fairly short until my girlfiriend and I got closer and realized it was winding all the way back past Ariel's grotto. Looks like they are trying to get everything pushed forward for the 50th!

Didn't want to wait last night,but we'll try and go back on Thurdsay and hopefully they'll still be letting people get the preview.

Anyone else have a chance to check out this new attraction???
    SHARK_HUGGER- I'll stop eating fish when sharks do.
    What the Media Doesn't Report (#17):
    "Saddam Hussein has been engaged in the development of weapons of mass destruction technology which is a threat to countries in the region and he has made a mockery of the weapons inspection process."
    - Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D, CA), Dec. 16, 1998

• Rat Tat Tat.

Even if the line looks long, the wait is really short...its like the Haunted Mansion so it moves a lot of people. Once inside the building the wait is less than 10 minutes so even if it goes back to Ariel's grotto it moves quickly.

Sweet. I didn't realize that there was already a thread going on this
    SHARK_HUGGER- I'll stop eating fish when sharks do.
    What the Media Doesn't Report (#17):
    "Saddam Hussein has been engaged in the development of weapons of mass destruction technology which is a threat to countries in the region and he has made a mockery of the weapons inspection process."
    - Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D, CA), Dec. 16, 1998

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by shark_hugger
    Sweet. I didn't realize that there was already a thread going on this
    '
    no prob I merged your thread with the other Buzz thread.

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• Still wants to be a cat!

Got on Buzz today, used Fast Pass which made the wait around 5-10 minutes. Hubby and daughter absoulutely loved it (Hubby isn't a ride person) and I thought it was OK, will go on it again for their sake. Loved Buzz in the waiting area, best part, I thought. Didn't care for being dumped in the Command Shop, but you kinda get used to that part of any new rides.....and I collect pins! The ride does help out TL, but things will be much better once SM opens.....can hardly wait for that!
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

• Sock Puppet

ANd E ticket, in my definition, is an attraction of Epic size and quality. A Priate, a Mansion, Space/Splash Mountains, the upcoming EVEREST (at AK). These are huge, big rides that easily cost over $40 million to make (2005 dollars) and are simply mindblowing.
    An E-Ticket attraction would cost closer to $100 million to build. Splash Mountain or "Cash Mountain" as it was called by investors was estimated to cost $10 million, but when all was said and done it cost $100 million. Spiderman at Islands of Adventure a great (E-ticket quality attraction) is a $100 million ride.

Buzz, I am sorry to report, is not that.

Yes, it's a cute "C" ticket, harking back to the days of IF YOU HAD WINGS at WDW, a LESSER ride than INNER SPACE. Little kids will love it, like the like Dumbo. Colors, loud noises.
    Boo Hoo, but HONESTLY.... WHAT DID YOU EXPECT? Come on, they never pitched it as an E-Ticket attraction. I think this is one attraction where "expectations" were set correctly from the get go. If you thought it would be more you misread the information. If you don't like it that is fine, but to diss it simply because it isn't the caliber of an E-ticket attraction is not fair. That is how your post reads.

I share your feelings regarding the lack of a major new attraction at Disneyland for more than a decade. I disagree with you about DCA. I think they've got some outstanding theme park attractions that have Disney's footprints all over them. Unfortunately, as for Disneyland it's probably going to be 2010 or later before we see anything significant. The next attraction they're working on is the return of the Subs (bad idea in my opinion) with another movie tie in theme.

Well, finally had the opportunity to try BLAB today. I rather enjoyed it and think that it will do fairly well. It should be particularly popular with the young male crowd (9-13yrs), but will appeal to most. It is definitely a ride that the whole family can enjoy. It also has a built-in ride again desire with regard to improving your score.

A few drawbacks:
    - I thought it was a bit short, if they could have had multiple levels or something to extend the track.
    - Etch-a-Sketch is great, but the sketching isn't always done E-a-S style, meaning that the lines always have to connect, you can't draw separate images. Just a small thing, but it bothered me.
    - The hallway from Buzz to the loading area isn't themed particularly well. It feels a heck of a lot like just a long hallway.

• What have I done?

Quote Originally Posted by Importance
    Well, finally had the opportunity to try BLAB today. I rather enjoyed it and think that it will do fairly well. It should be particularly popular with the young male crowd (9-13yrs), but will appeal to most. It is definitely a ride that the whole family can enjoy. It also has a built-in ride again desire with regard to improving your score.

A few drawbacks:
    - I thought it was a bit short, if they could have had multiple levels or something to extend the track.
    - Etch-a-Sketch is great, but the sketching isn't always done E-a-S style, meaning that the lines always have to connect, you can't draw separate images. Just a small thing, but it bothered me.
    - The hallway from Buzz to the loading area isn't themed particularly well. It feels a heck of a lot like just a long hallway.
    WOW thought the hallway thing was just me! My friend asked me what I thought about it. I said "It was fun!" He thought it was great. We are both in our 20's. But yes the hallway is ver dismal except for the area with Buzz of course.

"This guy!"

We went to the park yesterday and Buzz was open in the early afternoon, but was closed again around 5 pm. I thought it was a pretty decent ride. It's not an E ticket, but fun non-the-less. It is 10 times better than stupid Pooh! You have to remember, this is geared towards kids, not us big kids! I have seen alot of grief from a few people here, and I respect their opinion's, but I think we are loosing sight, that this ride and movie were/are geared towards the younger crowd. I liked the interactive portion and emailed our picture from within the ride to myself. It was free to download the picture, but I am sure that will change!

I'm excited that there is a ride other than autopia for smaller kids. None of my kids can ride SM when it opens...none of them want to ride ST. Buzz will be a huge hit with them, and therefore it will be fun for me and my DH. I'm looking forwrd to riding this!

• Banned User

Remember this... Buzz is was designed at WDW as an overlay of a current C/D ticket ride...

The newer versions kept the same idea.... this remianing a C/D ticket attraction... thought the newer ones have more things however a smaller space to work witrh.. even thought the building is large..... and think.. more money went to the ride than the queue & store.... they will fix things as the ride is runnings and under referbishment.... (at least you have detatchable guns... thought WDW's spins... )

• Random Thinking

I went lat night (Tuesday) at about 7 o'clock. This stand by line was posted at 40 minutes, and it took just about that long. The line itself does move pretty fast...but there was a cast preview going on, and they got priority through the fast pass line which made the stand by line move slower...which was fine by me!

I was suprised at how little of the line was inside...once you get to the door, the wait is practically nothing!

I enjoyed the ride...I have been on WDW, so I wasn't dissapointed, and the ride was as I expected. I think it is fun...I wasn't expecting an e-ticket, but this is the sort of ride that I'd want to use again and again just to try to beat my scores, which are always patheyically low.

The email stations were up and working...our pic was really funny...we looked so intent! Unfortunatly, they dump so many people out of that ride so quickly that I don't think 5 stations (or whatever they had) is enough!

I can't remember WDW's version in too much detail, so I am excited to wride it again this summer and compare it to ours, when my memory is fresher!
    525,600 minutes...how do you measure, measure a year?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast