So how do you think WoC will mix with New Years?

So as we hear more and more about the limited viewing angle of WoC, I grow more interested in what Disney will do at New Years with DCA in general.

I mean in years prior we've had DJ parties in a few areas of the park and limited pyro over the Pier or pyro over Sunshine Plaza.

I'm curious, isn't the plaza going to be too torn up to do fireworks in this year?

Will they simply provide three WoC shows into the night? It seems like a special New Years offering would be in order but I'm not sure what they'd do. WoC sounds way to narrow to allow many DCA guests to celebrate in that area. (or are we going to assume DCA will be mostly empty like in years prior and this will be a secondary party?)

I'm curious if there's a way to lax up the show performance of WoC a bit and maybe have a DJ entertaining in Paradise Park as a dance floor while the fountains go into perhaps a more generalized show form? Think the fountains will be used as makeshift fireworks and colors and maybe just a simple video countdown?

Or are they going to shutter the Pier area for constant WoC and push guests to other areas of the park for celebration?

Seems to me that New Years will be the first real push to do something special with all that new infrastructure (maybe Fourth of July but I doubt it).
    "We all have sparks, imagination! it's how our minds... create creations!"

Re: So how do you think WoC will mix with New Years?

Not sure if they would do a Fourth event with it this year as it is much too close in time from the debut of the show. Seeing as there may still be kinks to work out and such. New Year's seems to be a decent time to start something else as it is quite a few months away from the opening and gives time for the fascination to sorta wane.
    I would imagine they could do quite a bit for New Year's with this type of show. Something quite spectacular including pyro and such. Now the crowds would be something but I was in DL for numerous New Year's celebrations and it was so packed you couldn't walk anywhere before the countdown. I don't see this as anything different. even if they did have projections for the show I couldn't imagine people on the Screamin' side of the park wouldn't have a show either.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Heck, they haven't even got the first few shows out of the way, or crowd control organized for that, yet. Question is WAY premature.

They will have to adjust and decide what works best with the regular busy summer season, and work our the kinks before they decide what they are going to do on New Year's Eve. And before that they have a lot of other holidays to contend with, not to mention how to handle the reconfiguration of Halloweentime, and if that will be moved to DL.

Obviously if DL and DCA are packed during the Christmas Season, it will be impossible to keep attendance high AND clear out the back of Paradise Pier for WoC shows, so it's likely they will have to revert to allowing guests all around the puddle in paradise pier, more similar to what they do for F! And on New Year's it's just not going to be practical to shut down the attractions in Paradise Pier, as those will absorb some of the crowds. Of course, guest control will also need to maintain a walkway around the puddle.

For dance stage areas, they have moved those around, over the years, and with the main entrance under major reconstruction, they should keep that clear of any dance stage. Hollywood should be able to use the outdoor stage, and a second dance stage in the area as they have for several years. They can also use the pacific wharf for another stage. Obviously with paradise Park, they shouldn't use that area as a dance area, anymore. The first couple of years they also used Condor Flats for a Dance Area, and that may work. But anything around Paradise Puddle is going to be problematic for a dance area. The old McDonalds location would be a pretty good area, but is has permanent tables, and that area may be under construction, anyway.

• Banned User

A special NYE show for the lagoon will be a revenue generating beast for the parks & resorts division. I'm almost certain that they will encorporate WoC into the new year's festivities, otherwise they will have to face the wrath of their investors.

And, don't forget weather is usually a factor during NYE.

Would a heavy downpour, or high winds, affect laser lights ?

It would be nice if WOC was the one show not the least bit affected by bad weather.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Pisces View Post
    And, don't forget weather is usually a factor during NYE.

Would a heavy downpour, or high winds, affect laser lights ?

It would be nice if WOC was the one show not the least bit affected by bad weather.
    Low level winds might be an issue but I bet that there is some special program that they have set to run in case of these winds.

Otherwise they could always hand out free ponchos

Yep this is a bit ahead of time but I always like to hear what other people think haha

I suppose I'm just real curious to see how flexible the WoC stuff actually is, and while the Summer will be a test of crowd control. Nothing is ever like the special events for New Years eve, it's only one night but expectations run high.

DCA's always been a kind of second place runner up to Disneyland for New Years, but if WoC really is all that then DCA could get pushed up haha.

I suppose its true they couldn't or at least shouldn't use Paradise Park as a dance area (though that stage does make such a concept inviting.

Hollywood will certainly be a counterbalance area though I wonder what they could possibly do to make it not a dead zone as Midnight approaches.

And if they do keep most of the Pier active what will that mean? I'd assume Screamin/SunWheel/Sympohny Swings are all still kinda iffy to run with WoC equipment also opperating. (if the Pier really does need to absorb more bodies).

Quote Originally Posted by WestsideCM99 View Post
    Low level winds might be an issue but I bet that there is some special program that they have set to run in case of these winds.

Otherwise they could always hand out free ponchos
    free? Don't they charge for those buggers in Florida?

• The Study of Wumbo

Well, think what Epcot does. I think we can expect something like that.
    -Hale (wumbology)

a.k.a. h2mc, omnimover.mousetalgia, omnimover, wumbology, hogbackmtn, hhmcsharry, Hale M., h2m, h2mc

(I've never visited Disneyland Resort, Tokyo Disney Resort, Disneyland Resort Paris, nor Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, so don't be fooled when I pretend to know what I'm talking about. [But I'm pretty good with the information, if I do say so myself. And you can hit me all you want with Walt Disney World.])

Quote Originally Posted by wumbology View Post
    Well, think what Epcot does. I think we can expect something like that.
    I suppose that's kinda my issue. I was at Epcot for New Years for both 08 and 09 but never been to Disneyland actually.

Illuminations is watchable from all angles of the lagoon while WoC is supposed to only be worth watching from paradise park.

World Showcase isn't attraction risk but does keep everything open and has MANY large dance areas (I think about four) across the entire lagoon.

DCA has traditionally been the overflow park but we're supposed to start seeing a change in that from here on out.

DCA has the weaknesses that the WoC equipment may shutdown a few of it's lakeside attractions and that their show may not be watchable from all angles of the park. Also the lagoon is much smaller and off to the side so the best dance floor areas will probably be located a bit away from the lagoon area.

I expect this years New Years to be a tricky event for Disney while the years after will probably smooth everything out.