What's Up with the California Adventure June 2010 Schedule?

My wife has never been to a Disney park of any kind, and for our aniversary, we're going on a whirlwind vacation, including the Grand Canyon and three days at Disneyland. I could make an entire thread asking for suggestions on how to wow a first timer at Disney, but in this instance, I'm a bit mystified by the official Disney schedule for California Adventure and World of Color. We are going June 16-18 (Wednesday, Thursday, Friday). It seems bizarre to me that California Adventure is scheduled to close at 6:00 p.m. all week, and World of Color is supposed to premiere on the 11th. The World of Color does not even appear on the newly released schedule for June, anywhere.

I am not so dense as to assume the daily-updated Park Schedule is what is going to be the schedule in a month from now. I'm also mystified as to why Disneyland is scheduled to shut their doors - in the summertime, after schools are out - at 9:00 p.m. every night we're there, except for the Friday.

Can anyone explain what is going on? Why no World of Color on the schedule, why California Adventure scheduled to be closed at 6:00 p.m., and why is Disneyland supposed to be open til midnight on the 15th (the day we drive in) but then only open until 9:00 p.m. on the 16th and 17th? The previous week, Disney is scheduled to be open until midnight almost every day.

Check it out for yourself: June 16-18 at the following site:

Disneyland Resort | Theme Park Calendar

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Re: What's Up with the California Adventure June 2010 Schedule?

Maybe it's for Grad Night? I don't know. The fact that DL closes at 9 on those nights is an indication that Disney predicts those days won't be so crowded to warrant them staying open later.

• Future Indy Castmember

Those are Grad Nite Dates.

They close early to prepare for Grad Nite on those dates.

DCA closes earlier because some schools get the Blast-Off included in their Grad Nite to Disneyland.

Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics
    Check out the
    MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011

The world is a treasure trove of places.
    The colors of Earth, Sea and Sky. Beauty i'm told, is ours to behold. In the wonderful world of color.
    Indy Ride Count: 2211
    World of Color Count: 74

• Grumpy is as Grumpy Does!

Yep... Grad Night schedule! You shoulda planned ahead and got married on a different date so your anniversary trip wouldn't coincide with grad night! (just kidding of course).

Enjoy your vacation though!

• Future Indy Castmember

As far as WoC is concerned.

It is debuting on June 11th but TDA (the management team for DLR) hasn't made the showtimes that we heard, official yet. Hence why it doesn't show on the calendar on the website.

Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics
    Check out the
    MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011

The world is a treasure trove of places.
    The colors of Earth, Sea and Sky. Beauty i'm told, is ours to behold. In the wonderful world of color.
    Indy Ride Count: 2211
    World of Color Count: 74

Thanks for the help, gang. As I said, I'm not so dense as to believe the schedules on the park websites are accurate 35+ days out...so I knew the California Adventure schedule was way off -- but the Disney grad night schedule explains the short nights for the 16th and 17th in the MK.

Oh, and while I take the ribbing in good cheer, I *did* do research before planning the trip, based on last year's schedule (and our own anniversary, natch). Same dates last year were full on 8:00 a.m. to midnight at the MK. I just never factored the vagueries of school graduation schedules into the equation (although I've certainly heard of and respect the tradition).

I was thinking about booking the reserved seats for Fantasmic, but now I'm not so sure. Sounds like the money would be better spent on the (rumored, unconfirmed) reserved seats for World of Color, since the MK is closing early on the 16th and 17th....of course, this assumes there will even BE late shows for World of Color....

...oy the pain of planning ahead....

By the by, just to give an idea of what kind of whirwind trip this is, we're going to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon for three days, then we arrive in Anaheim on the 15th. Sting is performing with the Philharmonic at the Hollywood Bowl that night -- we're going to the concert, then (if the Disney park schedule is to be believed) the next morning is early entry for Fantasyland.

I could talk for days about the back and forth that's going on in my head -- sleep in after the concert and 8 hour drive from the Canyon? Or take "advantage" of the "Early Entry" into Fantasyland?

My experience with Early Entry is fairly negative. What happens is that everyone from the sanctioned hotels floods the realm (i.e. Disneyland's Fantasyland) or park (i.e. one of the early entry parks in WDW), and it doesn't turn out to be benefit you imagine. You think to yourself, "Wow! We'll be in an hour before everyone else!", but then you show up only to find that "everyone else" has thought the exact same thing, and they are doing the exact same thing you are. In other words, shuffling every sanctioned hotel guest into Fantasyland one hour before park opening isn't as wonderful in practice as it sounds on paper.

On paper = "Wow, we get in early and we can walk right on to Dumbo!"
    In practice - "Um....no...better get a FastPass for Peter Pan while we wait in line for 30 minutes for Dumbo"

Anyway, this is my wife's first trip to any Disney park, and I'm trying to make the experience as pleasant for her as possible. I'm watching show times and park times like a hawk trying to make this as experience as amazing for her as possible. She is a very accomplished photographer...I'm actually thinking of taking advantage of the Early Entry just so that she can go shutterbug crazy on Main Street and Fantasyland, and possibly ride nothing.

For me, Disneyland is more than the rides, it is the *environment* and *atmosphere* that has always thrilled me. I'm the type of guy who would go and spend an hour over on the deck of the Critter Country restaurant just for the serenity of the whole thing...the Mark Twain slooshing by, the scenery, the scents, the quiet...the same thing with EPCOT. I'm more excited about spending time with my wife in the quiet nooks and crannies of New Orleans Square than I am about - say - Big Thunder Mountain.

Then again, this may be the last time we'll be in Disneyland or any Disney park for a very long time (next anniversary will be in Europe). So...maybe we should ride as many things as possible...I keep bouncing scenarios in my head, and I can't seem to settle on a solution. Ultimately, I want this to be HER trip to the park, not mine. I'm trying to serve as her tour guide, and I'm overthinking this. The park schedule confusion wasn't helping matters...but thank you guys for mentioning the grad nights...at least I can be at peace knowing that while we won't get those extra two hours in the park, Disney will be saving lives. I think my wife and I can deal with that.
    Last edited by BuckyRister; 05-08-2010 at 09:25 AM.

UPDATE

World of Color only on the 18th. No scheduled WOC for the 16th and 17th.