Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries
    The loss of many old growth trees has already made a huge impact on the park. Remember how dark the entrance area of Frontierland used to be? The big tree in front of Zocalo died last year and was replaced with a smaller tree. In addition the Big tree next to the Mark Twain Landing feel and crushed a popcorn cart a couple of years ago and wasn't replaced at all. The whole area just doesn't seem as moody as it used to.

The Big Thunder Trail has lost a lot of its old trees. That was one of my favorite spots on a hot summer day, what with all the shade.

Many trees back stage have also been targeted for removal after one fell in a cast member area two years ago.

While sad, it is also the way of nature. Trees don't last forever, and the Santa Ana winds don't help much either. The problem is that they should have been planting replacement trees years ago, rather than waiting for them all to topple over in guest and cast areas.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Just Me

That is where I would wait for the boys to get done on BTMR. I would sit on the bench closest to that area and my duck boys would come visit me. People walking by thought I was crazy for talking to the ducks, but it never stopped me.

• e komo mai

Not to derail or anything but...
    What's Cascade Peak?

• Junior Senior

Seems like trees in SoCal are getting beaten down in general this year...at UCSD we had a huge old tree fall over during the rain last week and a few smaller trees have fallen down in the area around my complex, too. I guess the winds are a lot higher than usual and combined with huge rainfall, the trees just can't cope.

• Lord of the Ribs

Wow. That looks like my backyard. Except for the tunnel and trestle, of course. I lost a third of my 50-year-old Jacaranda and may have to cut the poor thing down. Just lucky it didn't crush the spa or the kid's fort.

I'm surprised that more of the park didn't look like that after the Pineapple roared through. DL has a lot of old trees. That's part of the charm.

Eat meat. Your daddy sez it's good for ya.

• The future is upon us

Just thought you guys might want to see what it looked like in operation.

http://www.anaheimcolony.com/disneyl...tractions8.jpg

• Sock Puppet

This is not typical in So Cal. We got more rain in 1 1/2 weeks (after the original week of rain) than we usually get all year. The final day of the storms brought in lots of wind. I was even checking the trees in my yard. Solid trees, i could almost push over since the ground was so saturated with water. Those old trees, especially native ones, are actually less prone to falling. They just need to replant with native trees. Native So Cal trees have deep roots,, many disneyland trees are imported,, from the south and such, and have shallow roots.
    You won't see Black Oaks (which would naturally cover the Disneyland property) toppling over from some rain.

• Social Imagineer

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini Cricket
    Not to derail or anything but...
    What's Cascade Peak?
    Cascade Peak was a beautiful little mountain a ways north from the Mark Twain dock at a strategic bend along the shores of the Rivers of America (about where the prairie dogs are inhabiting the ore cars now). It featured three powerful and broad waterfalls that the old Mine Train tracks meandered through.

In the days of the Nature's Wonderland attraction, this was one of kinetic focal points of Frontierland, where steamships or sailing ships would cross the path of a rumbling mine train. And for years afterwards, Cascade Peak remained a highlight of the river cruise - as the ships would round the corner, and guests were treated to the sights and sounds of one waterfall after another.

Of course, all that water didn't roll down the mountainside from the bossom of Mother Nature: It was pumped up at some expense. The Peak became a victim of the Pressler era and was heartlessly and quite foolishly demolished - to the extreme detriment of Frontierland.

[/derail]

Maybe this could be a catalyst for them to make some serious changes to Frontierland, like bringing back the desert and some of the scenery and animals from Nature's Wonderland.

At least, they should restore some remembrances of the Mine Train and Nature's Wonderland as much as possible.

• They wanna know, HO!

Wow, that's sad, I remember that nice walk when I went in 2002, one of the few places not destroyed by Paul that reminds me of the origional Disneyland.
    ...a vaguely celtic music fills the air...

• Again! Again! Again!

Wow Darkbeer! That's a good picture! When I saw it, most of the mess had been cleaned up! There is still a lot of tree in your picture. The other day it was just a stump at the top and you could see where they had trimmed off other branches. It's a good thing it wasn't taller, it would have hit the bridge and possibly some people...provided it was during operating hours!
    Founding member of the B.A. I LOVE US!!
    FratSor Sister-Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ
    I bring the magic!!!
    "If all my friends were to jump off a bridge, I wouldn't jump with them, I'd be at the bottom to catch them"
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend DMother
    Girl bonding is just so necessary. It's just as important as "me" time. A good girl bonding session leaves you feeling so refreshed. I think of it as a NEED vs a want. There are just things that you need to talk to other women with. You may have the best relationship in the world with your husband, but there are just times you need your girlfriends. It makes for a healthier and happier you which makes everything else you do better.

• e komo mai

Quote Originally Posted by Covnut
    Just thought you guys might want to see what it looked like in operation.

http://www.anaheimcolony.com/disneyl...tractions8.jpg
    This is a great shot. I love pictures like that.

Anybody know what happened to the mine car? I would think that could be salvaged if nothing else.

• Social Imagineer

Bottom of the pond, releasing rust into the water and not-so-slowly poisoning the koi.

Ok, so that's pure speculation. But the koi sure were panicked about something, even 2 days after the incident .... and the pond looks like there's danger just beneath the surface.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries
    Perhaps we should rescue the koi. It should be an elaborate mission. Helicopters, giant buckets, and to embarrass Disney, Sea World should be involved.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast