• Yes, that is my real name

The Far Northern, California, United States
    Blog Entries

How Does Star Tours work?

My daughter had this question and I really didn't have a good answer, thought maybe someone could help out. I told her a lot of it was the video creates an illusion of travel, but then she posed the question of in the video you jolt downward a couple times, and it also does feel like you are moving forward in the warp scene. I'm sure the "vessel" simulator you are in does move about a bit perhaps, but any clue to how it works? Thanks folks!
    Yaye!

• I'm not really here

Re: How Does Star Tours work?

The room you sit on is sitting on top of 6 large pistons that attach at 3 points on the ride vehicle. By altering the height of each piston, they can tilt the vehicle in any direction and give it shakes and nudges.

To create the illusion of going forward it's important to note that if you close your eyes in an accelerating car, the only thing you notice is you are pressed back into your seat. On Star Tours they replicate this by tilting the front of the vehicle up and the back end down, so that you "fall" back into your seat. Combine this with the visual and your brain interprets it as acceleration.

When you go over the edge of the launch bay and fall downward, they just tilt the front end down.

It's carefully planned motions combined with the video images that fool you into thinking you're moving like that.

Here is a video from Star Tours in Paris that shows it in motion:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYpyvOKqMw8"]YouTube- Star Tours Backstage[/ame]

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Use your imagination...

haha never mind... the youtube video was not there when i posted and magically it was there AFTER i posted. my bad :P

Blog Entries

Oh awesome, thank you, that's sort of what I was thinking, but I had no way of trying to put it into words an explain it!!!
    Yaye!

Great video. Thanks Mycroft
    The Mur

• gyre & gimble in the wabe

The StarSpeeder 3000 was a transport spacecraft used by the short-lived Star Tours travel agency. It had room to carry up to 40 passengers. It is unknown what company designed the craft, but they were produced sometime around the Battle of Hoth.

A StarSpeeder 3000 on Endor
    StarSpeeders were piloted by an RX pilot droid, assisted by an astromech droid navigator. The ship was fast and maneuverable for a transport. Given the lowered risk usually involved in interplanetary tourism, the ship was equipped only with minimal deflector shields and two simple blaster cannons. However, the tour brochure indicated that the hyperdrive (or "warp drive") was fairly advanced.
    Despite the agency's claim that the ships themselves were highly advanced, they were often in need of repair.

Years after Star Tours went out of business, many StarSpeeder 3000s remained in service as late 19 ABY, when many could be seen operating around the planet Di'wor.
    Feed the Birds. It's not just a song, it's a way of life.

Love that music. I believe it's from The Matrix.
    Well Gawrsh!

• I'm not really here

^^It is.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• I see mouse people

Blog Entries

You mean it isn't magic????

Yeah, when my kid was 3 I could get away with that as an answer. Now he knows better but still thinks I know how everything at DL works. He'll love that video, thanks mycroft!

• He Gets The Job Done

Blog Entries

You beat me to it, Mycroft!

• I'm not really here

You're welcome SnorkletsMom and sorry Kritter.

• Disneynerd Merprincess

Midichlorians, in short.
    BK15:
    Disney BFF and Partner-In-Crime!

Walt Disney World: 1995, August 2009
    Disneyland: New Years 08/09, January 2010, September 2010, New Years 2011

VALENTINE'S WEEKEND 2014
    ... with the Kristoff to my Anna!

Queen Elsa Is My Homegirl

Blog Entries

Well, I told her it used a warp core like on Star Trek and she said, MOM!! Star Wars and Star Trek are different and they can't have the same stuff!!! I think she knows I am a fibber now....lol
    Yaye!