View Poll Results: What will happen?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Disneyland would get a HUGE attendance boost. EPIC WIN

22 46.81%
  • HOtels owuld be booked and it would be more difficult for out of town visitors. EPIC FAIL

12 25.53%
  • Comic-con's moving to Anaheim?

4 8.51%
  • It will NEVER happen

9 19.15%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Re: If Comic-Con moved to Aneheim...how would it effect Disneyland?

Quote Originally Posted by Awesome View Post
    With the exception of D23
    I'm sure more than half the expo attendees hit up Disneyland after the Showroom closed at 5:30 (i was part of that crew).
    Maybe it's because a lot of conventions that happen there don't involve the "Disneyland" crowd. A lot of conventions are pretty business-y. And Disneyland may be the last of their concerns.

It's the opposite for me, Disneyland is ranked as the highest of my concerns
    My step-sister and step-mom are possibly going to the Anime expo this year. I might "go with them" just so I can crash in their hotel and go to Disneyland
    As a coincidence, the California Dental Association is holding its
    annual convention there as we speak. I say it's a coincidence because several years ago I used to work for a dental insurance company and I used to attend this convention when I worked for them.

Anyway I struck up a conversation with a couple of salespeople for a dental malpractice insurance agency who were from Northern California. I'm from the area and I asked if they were enjoying their visit. I asked them if the had a chance to go to DL or DCA and they said they would love to but they are just too busy. They couldn't even get the time to go to DTD. And they were staying at the Paradise Pier Hotel!

So in a nutshell I guess I'd have to agree with you there. It depends on the type of convention. If it is more of a business type convention people are less likely to go to DL. If it is an entertainment based convention like D23 or presumably a comiccon type event then people might be more likely to go.

On that note, this coming July for 5 days the convention center will be hosting FanFest as a part of the All Star Game being played at Angel Stadium this year. I'm thinking that this event, combined with the crowds for WOC, is going to really bring in the crowds at the DLR!

• Waiting Since 1992

It will never, ever happen. Like posters said, the SDCC is HUUUUUUUUGE compared to the anaheim complex. Yup, it will never happen.

We go to CC every year. We live in San Diego so we dont need a hotel, but it gets INSANELY crazy downtown. Its just over run with people. I dont even want to think about what it'd do to Anaheim err, Disneyland.
    if i cant be a good example, let me be a horrible warning

Maybe Comic Con has gotten so big that's its only real options are Orlando and Vegas, which handle most of the mega-conventions.

• Waiting Since 1992

Quote Originally Posted by Giraffe Lounge View Post
    Maybe Comic Con has gotten so big that's its only real options are Orlando and Vegas, which handle most of the mega-conventions.
    Vegas would be great, I think. CRAZY hot, however. Like, can you imagine standing in a 3 hour line waiting for a panel OUTSIDE in 110 degree heat? Hmm...lol, maybe Vegas isn't great.

Quote Originally Posted by SaraNoH View Post
    Vegas would be great, I think. CRAZY hot, however. Like, can you imagine standing in a 3 hour line waiting for a panel OUTSIDE in 110 degree heat? Hmm...lol, maybe Vegas isn't great.
    Vegas is built around not having to go outside. I love San Diego and would love to go to Comic Con down there sometime, problem is I don't want to buy tickets a year in advance.

Here' an interesting list of the largest convention centers. Note that this is by hall, not city, Vegas has the largest overall capacity because there are several large halls.

• Wilderness Explorer

It will never, ever happen. Like posters said, the SDCC is HUUUUUUUUGE compared to the anaheim complex. Yup, it will never happen.
    I thought that too. But then did a little more research to find that ACC is actually larger.
    Check out a few of my posts on the last page.

I'm 95% positive they're not even considering moving it out of California.
    And while Anaheim and LA's convention centers are larger than San Diego's... they're still stuck on San Diego's because they have a huge history of it being there. So if they do move it, it will still stay pretty local (in comparison to the rest of the US).
    I think the furthest it will go is LA. I can almost guarantee it will never go to Vegas.

I go to Comic Con every year because I live in San Diego.
    And you said that one of the nice things about Vegas is that you don't have to go outside?
    I don't know about you, but if I spend my entire day inside, I'd like to get some fresh air. And San Diego is probably the best city in the world for that.
    Taking a break from the mass amounts of nerds by taking a stroll down the Gaslamp District to get a bite to eat is wonderful.

• Waiting Since 1992

Maybe ACC is physically "larger" I think the space is not condusive to a huge convention like the Con, imho.

• Waiting Since 1992

Vegas is built around not having to go outside. I love San Diego and would love to go to Comic Con down there sometime, problem is I don't want to buy tickets a year in advance.

Here' an interesting list of the largest convention centers. Note that this is by hall, not city, Vegas has the largest overall capacity because there are several large halls.
    Very interesting. I agree that Vegas has SPACE. My family lives there and I'm always amazed at how much ...space there is. LOL. They aren't fans of the strip, but where they live within the city, it really doesn't feel like "Vegas" at all. Yeah, it'd be cool to not have to go outside. I guess it would be imperative to build a place where everything was self-contained.

• Wilderness Explorer

Maybe ACC is physically "larger" I think the space is not condusive to a huge convention like the Con, imho.
    I can agree to that.
    But still, regardless of how we see it... ACC has a good 130,000 sqft more of space on the showroom floor alone.
    The problem is... they really don't have very many ballrooms.
    And Comic-Con uses a TON of ballrooms. Yeah it'd be nice to have a few big ones like ACC has, but Comic-Con tends to use a good couple dozen small rooms for other weird events and such.

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    If Comic-Con moved to Aneheim...how would it effect Disneyland?
    We would see a lot more Marvel merchandise in the resort during the summer! We would also see Marvel characters in DCA, perhaps even in DL. And hotel prices would increase considerably during this time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ckelef1 View Post
    god help us if that happens

Yeah, we wouldn't want the Disneyland to do anything that would encourage new people to come to the parks and spend money, thus increasing profits, and giving them more money to spend on improvements........

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Since Disney now owns Marvel, and since the ACC is directly accross the street from the DLR, and since the ACC is a lot closer to Disney HQ and all of the other major studios, I would say that comic con's chances of moving to Anaheim are very good in the near future.

• Wilderness Explorer

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Since Disney now owns Marvel, and since the ACC is directly accross the street from the DLR, and since the ACC is a lot closer to Disney HQ and all of the other major studios, I would say that comic con's chances of moving to Anaheim are very good in the near future.
    Despite popular belief, DC, Marvel and big name comic-brands don't own Comic Con.
    In fact, the Marvel booth is tiny compared to a lot of the other large companies.
    Comic Con isn't just about comics. It's about TV, movies, video games, AND comics.
    Disney and Marvel combined don't have nearly enough say against the other couple hundred companies that show their face there. If Comic Con did move, it would have nothing to do with the fact the Disney now owns one comic company.

I think the furthest it will go is LA. I can almost guarantee it will never go to Vegas.
    I'm not placing bets about where Comic Con is moving to, I'm simply wondering aloud if the convention has outgrown all but the largest convention towns. I wonder if anyone has a list of the largest conventions, and where CC rates.

I read an interesting article about moving comic con that a very large segment of its audience its from the LA-metro area and part of its appeal is time down in San Diego. By moving into the LA area you lose that vacation aspect of it.

And you said that one of the nice things about Vegas is that you don't have to go outside?
    Never said that, just said that there's no need to have outside events because the hall is large enough.

I don't know about you, but if I spend my entire day inside, I'd like to get some fresh air. And San Diego is probably the best city in the world for that.
    Taking a break from the mass amounts of nerds by taking a stroll down the Gaslamp District to get a bite to eat is wonderful.
    Don't get me wrong, I think San Diego is a lovely town, perhaps this posturing will convince the city to expand its convention center. That's probably the best solution for all as far as this convention is concerned (though I don't know if SD's convention business the other 50 weeks of the year warrant it).

• Wilderness Explorer

I'm not placing bets about where Comic Con is moving to, I'm simply wondering aloud if the convention has outgrown all but the largest convention towns. I wonder if anyone has a list of the largest conventions, and where CC rates.

I read an interesting article about moving comic con that a very large segment of its audience its from the LA-metro area and part of its appeal is time down in San Diego. By moving into the LA area you lose that vacation aspect of it.

Never said that, just said that there's no need to have outside events because the hall is large enough.

Don't get me wrong, I think San Diego is a lovely town, perhaps this posturing will convince the city to expand its convention center. That's probably the best solution for all as far as this convention is concerned (though I don't know if SD's convention business the other 50 weeks of the year warrant it).
    Neither am I. I'm just saying personally I don't think it ever will move to Las Vegas. I think it is starting to outgrow San Diego's convention center, but it would still probably fit in LA.

Hmmm I didn't know that. Never thought as Comic Con as a vacation, personally, because I live in San Diego.
    Getting there is still about an hour long ordeal involving driving, parking, and commuting to the convention center, so I usually only go one of the days.

I wish they would expand it. But frankly, San Diego doesn't really have the space. Unless they start building over the bay... But I don't think many people would be fond of that idea.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast