Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

• Minion

No Walt Disney characters in World of Color???

I received the quarterly Disneyland Annual Passholders brochure this week which features a fold-out cover of art representing the World of Color show at DCA.

Except for lone Tinker Bell (herself now a revised merchandise franchise character), there are ZERO classic Walt Disney characters represented on this poster - - highly unusual!

While one might expect they would highlight/feature recent characters - - to show so many Disney characters -- but with ALL of Walt's excluded -- really shows the rebranding push that's going on at the company.

Belle and Ariel and Simba okay... But no Mickey? No Donald? No Snow White, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Peter Pan, Dumbo, Bambi, Pinocchio, Dalmatians, Lady, even Mary Poppins?

Yet marginal less-than-crowd-pleasers like Pocahontas and Stitch are featured prominently?

The Blue Sky Cellar focused highly on engaging, creative art for an Alice in Wonderland sequence... was she cut out? If not, why ignore her - - especially for the Passholder crowd who really love the traditional characters? I thought the "new" DCA was supposed to incorporate Walt into the story...

I had such high hopes for this show to provide a nod to Walt's legacy along with the usual cross-promotion, but now it makes me question whether to go in with an optimistic expectation.
    Last edited by merlinjones; 05-15-2010 at 10:30 AM.

• Banned User

Re: No Walt Disney characters in World of Color???

Snow White will be in the Princess scene and there have been rumors of Bambi. We don't know 100% (at least I don't) that Alice is cut. If so, it may return in the future as they begin to take out/add scenes.

• Minion

I wanted to see Alice most... along with the nods to "Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color" - - that's really sad news... and spoils my mood on the show.

• Banned User

I am especially disappointed that it looks like the Walt Disney quote and the letters falling into the lagoon with the D becoming "little squirt" has been cut. I was looking forward to that.

Bambi will be in the show, from what we've seen, for April Showers (maybe not Bambi himself, but still) and I'm sure that Alice is in the show because that was the most highly anticipated scene that people have been talking about (along with Steve Davison) and we still haven't seen the official show yet so ..... ya HAVE FAITH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by stevo505 View Post
    I am especially disappointed that it looks like the Walt Disney quote and the letters falling into the lagoon with the D becoming "little squirt" has been cut. I was looking forward to that.
    I think it's still in. There have been testing videos and pics that show a bunch of colors with on single orange fountain, presumably Little Squirt. Also, in one of the latest WoC videos, "The Stage is Set for World of Color", it shows the Tinker Bell animation that will be used for the Walt Disney opening sequence. I believe that this scene is still in the show.

• Dream in wonderful color!

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones View Post
    But no Mickey? No Donald? No Snow White, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Peter Pan, Dumbo, Bambi, Pinocchio, Dalmatians, Lady, even Mary Poppins?
    some of those are in the show Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, Pinocchio, and Peter Pan are already featured in Fantasmic.. I'm excited about seeing some of their newer characters in a nighttime show.

also expected to be in WoC - the Old Mill, Little April Showers, Diana from Fantasia.. We won't know the final list of characters until it premieres.
    - Adventure Is Waiting -

"We're going to take you out of this world of reality for a visit to the most fantastic of all the worlds of fantasy." - Walt Disney

• Minion

They should have also used Professor VonDrake and The Spectrum Song...

• Minion

Aside from show content, that marketing has seemingly been instructed NOT to feature ANY Walt characters (save Tink) in the ads is highly distressing.

• Banned User

I don't know, that song is a little cheesy and would feel out of place if in were thrown in among the orchestral stuff.

• Haunted Mansion Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by nonob88 View Post
    some of those are in the show Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, Pinocchio, and Peter Pan are already featured in Fantasmic.. I'm excited about seeing some of their newer characters in a nighttime show.

also expected to be in WoC - the Old Mill, Little April Showers, Diana from Fantasia.. We won't know the final list of characters until it premieres.
    Just a random musing, but that always drove me nuts being a student who's heavily into Classical Mythology. They label some of the characters by their Greek names (Zeus, Apollo, Morpheus) and then label others as their Roman equivalent (Diana, Vulcan, Bacchus). Make up your mind! And don't even get me started on Disney's version of Hercules...

• Wilderness Explorer

Yeah but how many people would understand that reference?

You have to think of how many Passholders are getting this magazine.
    They're trying to appeal to as many people as possible.
    Yeah a few older characters would please a lot of people, but I'm sure the families with passes enjoy seeing newer characters that their kids are going to recognize.

I think you're over-analyzing the ad.
    Just because something isn't featured in a 10"x24" magazine insert, doesn't mean it isn't part of the show.
    It's nice to see some different characters than we normally see (with the exception of stitch and tinker bell who are everywhere).

Aside from show content, that marketing has seemingly been instructed NOT to feature ANY Walt characters (save Tink) in the ads is highly distressing.
    I don't know how you're concluding that their specific instructions were "Don't include any of Walt's characters"
    You're coming across as really cynical.
    I think the characters they chose are popular, and easily recognizable by children.

• Minion

They have been trying to make Stitch happen for years, but he never really does. Give it a break already.

And here-and-now Walt's Alice is primed by her ties to the recent remake. Why waste the opportunity?

• Minion

>>(VonDrake) Yeah but how many people would understand that reference?<<

What does it matter if it's still entertaining? It's just a new cartoon to them! The great Disney characters and themes (like World of Color itself) are not dependent on nostalgia, prior knowledge or reference - - they are self-perpetuating with new exposure (as proven for decades prior to the current management). They are just good.

>>You have to think of how many Passholders are getting this magazine. They're trying to appeal to as many people as possible. Yeah a few older characters would please a lot of people, but I'm sure the families with passes enjoy seeing newer characters that their kids are going to recognize.<<

If they are trying to appeal to as many people as possible, why exclude three generations of Disneylanders to focus only on the latest franchise product stuff?? Kids don't know Mickey, Peter Pan, Cinderella or Alice? - - Give me a break - - of course they do - - who has those millions and millions of DVDs (and sequels) and runs them over and over?? Grandpa?

In a massive poster like that they have no room for ANY "real" Walt Disney characters at all? Unlikely. It's a specific decision and an annoying one.

It sends a signal that we baby boomers and gen-xers (and our friends and families) who are here because we specifically like Walt Disney and his works are not appreciated as customers anymore.
    Last edited by merlinjones; 05-15-2010 at 11:35 AM.

• Wilderness Explorer

They have been trying to make Stitch happen for years, but he never really does. Give it a break already.

And here-and-now Walt's Alice is primed by her ties to the recent remake. Why waste the opportunity?
    You'd be surprised at how popular Stitch is. I really don't like him, but some people love him.
    I think you're translating your own feelings to the feelings of all 1 million pass holders. Change your perspective. Think about what might appeal to the most amount of people.. not you.

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast