Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast

My Wife Has Never Been to Disneyland - Taking Her June 16th - 18th

This is what I'm doing for my wife for our 2nd anniversary.

We're staying a night in New Mexico, then driving to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon, staying for three nights at the Lodge on the North Rim. Then we drive to Anaheim, and our first night, we're going to see Sting performing at the Hollywood Bowl with the Royal Philharmonic. The next day, we have a Magic Morning early entry into Disneyland, and we'll be at the parks for three days. We have three more days to drive home, so we may go the Getty Museum, or the Santa Monica pier, or (if possible) the Magic Castle or Griffith Park. Or we may take few days driving home, stopping at off the beaten path sites in Arizona or New Mexico or Texas.

My wife has never been to Disneyland, so this is going to be a very special trip. I figure the first thing we do is go to City Hall on Main Street and get her a "First Time" pin, and a "Anniversary" pin, and head straight for Nemo. After Nemo, we'll ride the Matterhorn and then get a FastPass for Peter Pan and spend time in Fantasyland. Then we'll just see where the day takes us and we'll take our time exploring the rest of the day. I have the Preferred Seating for Fantasmic (pricey, I know, but I'm sparing no expense to make this trip memorable for her). I haven't decided on the Blue Bayou or Cafe Orleans for dinner.

Anyway, if you guys have any "inside baseball" on little known secrets or tips to make this visit as special as possible, I'd appreciate it. Is it true that you can ask to ride in the engine car for the Disneyland Railroad? Same thing with the Mark Twain wheelhouse? Does anyone know if there will be Preferred Seating for World of Color? If so, does anyone know how to get it? I assume we'll have to eat at one of the restaurants at California Adventure, but if anyone has any other info, please let me know. Do they still hand out Death Certificates at the Haunted Mansion? Is the BBQ dinner at Big Thunder Ranch worth the time? How is Cafe Orleans, anyway? (never been there)

As you can tell, I have 1000 questions, so if anybody here wants to make suggestions or has knowledge to share, by all means, please do so. I want to do everything I can to make the three days as special as possible for my wife, so I appreciate any advice you have to share.

Thanks!

• Addicted to Disney

Re: My Wife Has Never Been to Disneyland - Taking Her June 16th - 18th

Quote Originally Posted by BuckyRister View Post
    After Nemo, we'll ride the Matterhorn and then get a FastPass for Peter Pan and spend time in Fantasyland.
    I'm not going to be able to help you much on this one, but there's no such thing as a fastpass for Peter Pan.

It sounds like you have pretty much everything thought of...how sweet I am sure she will love it I would choose blue bayou over cafe orleans my husband and I just started celebrating our anniversaries at disneyland this year we will celebrate number 17 (our second at Disneyland) We always eat at the blue bayou and I love it...I have heard napa rose is wonderful too but I like the blue bayou. You can ask to ride in the Lily belle of the train I hope to do that this year.
    We well also be doing the preferred seating for Fantasmic and I have been checking for world of color and no news yet. They are going to be having either dinner or desserts like for Fantasmic from what I have heard but they have not gotten the information yet...I was told to keep checking. Happy Anniversary and have a great time...
    Oh yeah...are you staying at one of the Disney hotels? There are more options if you are...
    Vacation...Counting Down the Days...Disneyland Here I Come

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyManiac View Post
    I'm not going to be able to help you much on this one, but there's no such thing as a fastpass for Peter Pan.
    In Disneyland there isn't. At WDW they do; OP must have gotten his parks crossed.

As for you questions: Cafe Orleans is a really great place to eat. I suggest Pomme Frites and Monte Cristo to share, the perfect meal!

For the Railroad, it's the Lilly Belle, not the engine you can ride in. Ask at the Main Street station and they can allow you if no one's in it and they can spare the CMs. Also, if you are looking to do Nemo and Peter Pan the first day, I would personally skip City Hall and head there later for the buttons, or, better yet, if you're staying at a DLR hotel, they usually have the buttons there as well. You can pick one up when you check in!

For WoC, there were rumors of dinner packages, but nothing has been announced yet. I believe the rumor was this week more details would emerge, so I would keep checking back to see what info has come up.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

You can also get the buttons from many of the shops...ask a cm and they will get them for you.

Thank you all -

The reason I'm not staying on property is that it has been my experience staying at Port Orleans and Dixie Landings (three times in the last 10 years) that I was never at the hotel. I'm the type that shows up on Main Street as soon as they'll let me in, and then leaves only when Main Street shuts down at night. So, my wife and I are staying at a - what do they call it - "Good Neighbor" hotel, because we really only need a comfortable place to relax at night. I booked our trip through Small World Vacations (really incredible people there, our agent is amazing - she's personally booking the Fantasmic preferred seating for us to guarantee we get it), and the price differential between on property and a fifteen minute walk across the street was $800.00...that's $800 I can use instead on nice dinners and preferred seating and souveniers and photos and the rest of that. So that's why I'm not staying on property.

As for the Fastpass for Peter Pan...I haven't been to Disneyland in over 10 years, but I've been to Walt Disney World three times in the last decade, so sorry for getting things confused. But thanks for letting me know! That would have been a surprise, to say the least.

What do you guys think of the Magic Morning? Does it swamp Fantasyland and Tomorrowland? I hear the wait times for Nemo are staggering, so getting on that first thing is a priority...but if there is no FastPass for Pan, maybe we save Nemo for Day 2, and go straight to Pan.

The thing is, as I've said, I want my wife to fall in love with the place, and if you're not careful, Disneyland can really wear you out. You have to be smart about it, and plan to a certain extent. I had friends in LA who went once and never went back - they showed up at noon, saw massive lines, struggled to ride anytime, and they had a miserable time and left hours later. That's not how you do the park, you show up early, take advantage of low wait times to see major attractions, and when the park fills up, you then visit smaller, less "E ticket" attractions, and you take your time and relax.

But back to my wife...her first ride in the park is going to make a lasting impression, I'm sure. Should that ride be Nemo, or should her first ride be the small dark rides in Fantasyland? Should it be Dumbo? The pragmatist in me says Nemo, so she doesn't have to wait two hours to see it. But after that, I fear Fantasyland is going to be packed with other Magic Morning folk.

What are your experiences with Magic Morning? As always, I appreciate your advice. Thanks again.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Personally, I would save Nemo for Day 2...or before park closing. If you want a magical first impression, I think Peter Pan makes it more than Nemo. However, with Magic Mornings, the park already seems to be crowded, so if you're not there for MM, then you 're going to have to wait for either anyway.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

We have the Magic Morning option, I think we get in at 7:00 a.m. on the 16th....oh, here's a great question that's been bugging me...does that mean we get into Main Street before 7:00 a.m.? Or do we wait outside Main Street until 7? I know Main Street typically opens a half hour before the rest of the park, but didn't know if that was also true for Magic Morning, meaning we could be on Main Street at 6:30 a.m. Somehow I suspect not.

I agree with yoyoflamingo, to save nemo for another day/at night. I haven't been on it, but just from what I've heard I think a classic ride would be more ideal. I've never had a bad time on dumbo, and peter pan has some really amazing scenes.

this is really sweet that you're doing all this for her! I'm assuming she knows she's going to disneyland, but does she know about fantasmic reserved seating and such?

If you are going to California Adventure..I have found that being there right at opening is great...we basically walked on Tower of Terror, California Screaming and a few others...It was almost empty which was great. It is important to hit the rides that are real important to you that will be packed later...the fantasyland dark rides, space mountain, matterhorn because later in the day it is true it is a horribly loooong wait
    Nemo...skip it not really that great especially for an anniversary. Its a Small World is romantic

• radiantly eccentric

I like to "camp out" at DL too! The Magic mornings are the best and it is possible to do ALL of fantasyland before the people at the gate and on main street get in. There is a special entrance for MM. Its not as crowded as you think. When you're done Breakfast at the Riverbell Terrace is great and that side of the park is less crowded in the morning.
    There is almost no wait for Nemo right at closing time and I think its better at night anyway.
    1) Take your time in each Land/park and use the Train often.
    2) Use the fastpass system for all the rides that offer.(splash mtn, thunder mtn, Indy, autopia, buzz, space mtn, toon spin.)
    3) NOS is a great place to hang out when it gets too crowded (starting about noon) or hot. (about 2:00pm)
    4) Its all walking in DCA so save your feet and dont try parkhopping every day. There is more elbow room @ DCA.
    5) When it gets crowded, while waiting for fastpass times, I love to check out the entertainment, like the castle performance of the DL band, the Royal st. bachelors @ french market in NOS and those dapper dans will sing an anniversary song if wearing button! Billy Hill @ Golden Horseshoe is a must.
    5)Get reservations @ Blue bayou and ask for waterside seating, very romantic and special. Lunch is less expensive, but she will remember it always.
    6) You will love Fantasmic seating it is so worth it.
    7) dont get your hopes up for WOC.

Enjoy, she is a lucky woman.
    without Love in a dream, it will never come true...

Great tips from everyone!

You can't really go wrong with any part of the park, but I agree with other posters, I would skip Nemo until day 2. Peter Pan or Mr. Toad's Wild Ride have that "original Disney Magic" still strongly in play.

Personally, if I wanted to give my wife a lasting and "wow" impression, I would head to Adventureland and NOS or ride the train all the way around the park first.

Splash Mountain, POTC, and Indiana Jones are all attractions that have a bit of a wow factor. On POTC you can show your wife the seating area for the Blue Bayou and take her later for lunch! Aftewards you can show her the cool little shops that actually have some unique merchandise (unlike the rest of the majority of the park).

Make sure you take her to see Alladin at the Hyperion Theater in DCA! Amazing live show and the best live show Disney has put out in years! It may be the last chance your wife will get to see it (if it is indeed to be replaced by the Toy Story Musical).

Have fun. We'll be there June 12-17!

Dont forget to make reservations for your meals...wouldnt want you to not be able to eat at one of Disneylands fine dining spots due to no availibility.

I think planning things out is great (and you certainly have an awesome plan), but remember that, if you're a first time visitor, Disneyland is a place you just want to explore, where you find things by happenstance. It makes the adventure that much more amazing. If you have someone telling you "first we have to go here, then we have to go here, then we have to do this", it can become a little overwhelming. I'm not saying that's what you're doing, just want to drive home the point that Disneyland is a great place to just discover.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
    I think planning things out is great (and you certainly have an awesome plan), but remember that, if you're a first time visitor, Disneyland is a place you just want to explore, where you find things by happenstance. It makes the adventure that much more amazing. If you have someone telling you "first we have to go here, then we have to go here, then we have to do this", it can become a little overwhelming. I'm not saying that's what you're doing, just want to drive home the point that Disneyland is a great place to just discover.
    Can't argue with this approach, either.

Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast