Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• The 70th Matt Named Super

Re: will Star Tours II live up to the hype???

I think most people will be impressed by the update. There will be a huge re-ride-ability factor for this thing. I understand that it takes place, as said above, between Empire & Jedi but visits locales from all six films.

Just as everyone keeps saying to give that fountain show with no Walt in it at DCA a chance, this should also be given a chance! It looks really fun to me...while there are things that I'm sad about (Captain RX) there are things I'm crazy happy about (Boba Fett).

Star Tours needed some new legs & this re-do will give it just that!

Sonoma County, Ca. but born in Whittier, Ca.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormtrooper 619 View Post
    are there any plans to re-design the queue either?

I have to assume (and you know what happens when you do THAT) that there will be some pretty big changes besides just the film and a few props. Even CalTrans wouldn't take 11 months to do just that. No offense to any CalTrans employees on here!

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by bayouguy View Post
    Why does space travel attractions promote motion sickness?
    It's not so much space travel as it is the motion simulator. And the problem is really your inner ear and your eyes. If your senses are good enough you can tell that the motion and video are not always properly synced up. This means that your eyes are telling your brain one thing while your inner ear is saying something different about where you are and how you are moving. This is what causes vertigo and motion sickness. People who get sick reading in a car are the same. Inner ear says more or less not moving and corner of your eye sees that you are hurtling down the freeway at 70mph.

Quote Originally Posted by Lore View Post
    I'm expecting a relatively cheap update, something on the order of Country Bears Vacation Hoedown, which required new programming, new songs, and new props, but otherwise used the same mechanics.
    From what has been said, this will be a bit more inclusive an update than that. Currently the film is stored on reels in the back of the ride and fed under the seating area to a projector in front of the screen and then rewound between rides. The update will make this a totally digital system of projection. It will involve a complete redesign of the ride vehicle as there will be no need for that huge film system. This could mean increase in riders or more room with same number of riders. Since the projection will be digital, it makes sense to upgrade the ride control system to sync with cues embedded digitally inside the video to make motion matching much smoother thus eliminating much of the motion sickness many suffer.

It will probably be easiest to do this by simply building new ride vehicles and replacing the entire motion base and control system, but it's possible that they will strip it down and rebuild on top of parts they can use.

Because of its digital nature, ride profiles can be updated and changed out much quicker and easier. It also means that the possibility of multiple profiles is a distinct possibility. I would go so far as to say that NOT doing multiple ride profiles would be a really bad decision.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

are you referring to different ride experiences that have multiple videos?
    MOVE ALONG. MOVE ALONG.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by BuckyRister View Post
    Boba Fett was a rug rat in the prequels. If Boba is involved in Star Tours, then the ride is set between Empire Strikes Back and before his death in Return of the Jedi (when he was actually on Tatooine).
    he lived on after the sarlacc pit if you follow events after the movies....according to the expanded universe comics and novels, if you believe that everything that happens after jedi to be cannon..so by that logic i can see them useing Boba Fett.. in fact if you look at the clone wars tv series they focused on him and few other bounty hunters in season 2 so i can say that his inclusion is a good thing
    "Alright you primative screwheads listen up.."BRUCE CAMPBELL

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

I am not a Star Tours fan but......I have VERY high hopes for the new episode. Tony Baxter was so excited about the update he almost told some secrets about it. If Tony Baxter is excited we should all assume it's going to be spectacular.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Move along, Move along

Wow the ride hasn't even closed down for refurb and theres some hate going on already.

• Dead Men DO Tell Tales!

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker View Post
    As long as they keep Jar-Jar Binks out...it will make a better ride.
    I heard that instead of Captain Rex (who does NOT have a facebook fanpage!) it will be Jar-Jar piloting the pod.

"It'sa maybe you'sas first flight and meesas too!"

<sarcasm/>

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by Stormtrooper 619 View Post
    are you referring to different ride experiences that have multiple videos?
    I'm not saying it will happen, only that with a digital upgrade it could very easily happen and they would be fools not to take advantage of it. If not right away at least plan the system architecture to handle it without another upgrade.

I can't say how WDI would execute such a thing, but if I were in charge I would treat it just like the space port it is and have each departing vehicle be to a different destination randomly. Update the queue audio to include more destinations in their ad spiels. Can keep the queue more or less the same, just give it a sleeker, less 1988 look/feel. Upgrade to animatronics, add some interactive tid-bits and surprised throughout.

But that's just me and it is totally unconfirmed. I just can't see them doing this without having that added in.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by HKDLFAN View Post
    Wow the ride hasn't even closed down for refurb and theres some hate going on already.
    yeah kind of funny isnt it...first it was star tours is old we need to upgrade it..now its getting that up grade and the argument is but its gonna suck...
    just proveing that you cant please every one all the time..me over all im excited about it..skittish about the sparse info that has been let loose.. wish there was more to go on..
    "Alright you primative screwheads listen up.."BRUCE CAMPBELL

I am excited for it for sure. I also kinda like that they haven't released much info on the new ride. It is kind of annoying how we know so much about world of color and mermaid. I like the surprise element they have going on.

• Look Right, Pick Up Phone

What's the latest word on the new in-cabin effects that were proposed?

I don't think there has been any word Disney has kept really quiet about everything
    MOVE ALONG. MOVE ALONG.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Twist_of_Fate View Post
    What's the latest word on the new in-cabin effects that were proposed?
    We know that DL REAAAAALLY wants that, but WDW reeeealy does not. That's all I know.

• Banned User

I thought I heard something about OLC helping WDW with the budget or something? Or maybe it was just that OLC wants ST2 for TDLR?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast