Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Into the Wilderness (DCA Bambi Attraction)

A while back i posted a thread to ask what people wanted to see for possible attractions in the new DCA; the results requested a e ticket bambi attraction. The following idea I came up with would replace the current redwood creek challenge trail in Grizzly Peak.

The Facade
    The facade of the attraction would be a 1940s wilderness outpost for park rangers. The architectural style would be craftsman. Under the center roofline is a stained glass mural of a forest with grazing deer. Stain glass on the roofline of the left rotunda would feature rabbit, a skunk, and an owl. Guests would cross the bridge over the brook and enter to the left, note that the facade would be much closer to the river than in my sketch. The guests would enter under the rotunda and pass a themed area with a river rock fireplace and a desk area. The desk would have numerous maps and vintage forest photos. Songs from the feature film including, Love is a Song, April Showers, Little Spring Song, I Bring You a Song, would crackle over a vintage radio.

Song examples:
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cWeK22j8MY]YouTube - Love is a song (Bambi)[/ame]
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJZnIHwzvzM&feature=related]YouTube - Little April Shower - Bambi[/ame]
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXcz8qllQJ0&feature=related]YouTube - Let's sing a gay little spring song - Bambi[/ame]
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vx-uR3UTb_o&feature=related]YouTube - Looking for Romance / I Bring You A Song[/ame]

Guests would pass around the pine tree courtyard and under the main roof arch. The queue would then lead guests through an area themed to an area of sleeping bunks. Up the small stairs to the right of the facade into the park ranger observation area that has a desk complete with books on things such as forest life, wildfires, and illegal hunting. Over a vintage speaker radio calls from patrolling park rangers would report. A ladder by the desk would lead up to the observation tower( not accessible to guests). Towers such as these were included in the construction of wilderness outposts in order to give a birds eye view of the park, mostly for wildfires( like the one guests shall experience in the climax of the ride). Guests would then enter the loading area and board vehicles modeled after vintage ranger jeeps. Guests would exit under a huge hollow redwood tree trunk. Let me know what you guys think!!

Facade Sketches: (implanting them into the page isnt working) if someone could do it for me in replies it would be greatly appreciated.

The ride:
    guests journey through the great forest encountering classic moments from Disney's Bambi. Guests would journey through the meadow and the great forest meeting bambi, thumper, flower, and more forest creatures. Other scenes would include bambi's fight with bruno, the hunters camp, and the devastating fire. Guests would get jets of air shots at them to feel as if they were being shot at by the hunters. Real fire would be used in a safe and controlled environment in the fire scenes that would still make guests feel the intensity and danger. Guests would drop down into a gully( a small drop, think indiana jones drop where the boulder is). Guests would pass the animals looking out over the lake to the distant fire. The final scene would be bambi and his father standing on a cliff looking out to the distance.

Ride vehicles:

Ride operator costumes:

Breakdown of show scenes:

Note: between these scenes you would pass through the forest and hear the gunshots of hunters. you would feel pumps of air to feel as if they were just missing you. You would see faline perched up on a rock with the hunters bloodhounds jumping at her. You would then pass through the hunters camp and see the fire break out.

Note: In the fire sequence the forest animals flee. State of the art pyrotechnics are used to add to the intensity. you race with bambi and his father for safety.Right as a wall of flame rises up in front of the jeep, the vehicle drops down into a gully (think indiana jones boulder drop into the darkness.) The following scenes come after...

end of ride
    Last edited by hawk671; 05-25-2010 at 09:25 PM.

• MC, this is LD

Re: Into the Wilderness (DCA Bambi Attraction)

Cool concept!

I like this idea!

--KAN

• Infinitized!

It would be interesting to do a wilderness themed dark ride, but I'd also add Ranger Woodlore and Humphrey Bear.

Now where to put it? DCA, or evict Winnie?

• The 'Big Dreams' Kid

Hahah nice costumes!

Quote Originally Posted by Barbossa View Post
    It would be interesting to do a wilderness themed dark ride, but I'd also add Ranger Woodlore and Humphrey Bear.

Now where to put it? DCA, or evict Winnie?
    I also planned to have many references to Ranger woodlore in the queue. I also thought they could walk around the grizzly peak area as characters. I dont know if they are well known enough to make an entire attraction on though.

• Infinitized!

Quote Originally Posted by hawk671 View Post
    I also planned to have many references to Ranger woodlore in the queue. I also thought they could walk around the grizzly peak area as characters. I dont know if they are well known enough to make an entire attraction on though.
    They could have CMs dressed as Rangers and bears and do a little street show choreographed to the Humphrey Hop:

"First you stick a rag, put it in the bag, bump-bump,
    Then you bend your back, put it in the sack, bump-bump,
    That's the way it's done - it's a lot of fun, bump-bump,
    Cuttin' capers, puttin' papers in the bag."

Throw in a little audience participation. This way they could also teach people the imporatance of picking-up litter!

• Look Right, Pick Up Phone

What did you use to draw the facade? Very nice job on it, by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Twist_of_Fate View Post
    What did you use to draw the facade? Very nice job on it, by the way.
    Thanks! I sketched it in pencil, then outlined it in an ink pen, then i colored it with colored pencil lol.

• A bear band bear

Great job! What a neat idea! I love that you fully fleshed out all the concepts from costuming to music. Your sketches are really good, too.

At first I wasn't sure about the Bambi theme with jeeps and forest fires as it seems like a lot of "ruggedness" for being based on such a peaceful, sweet movie, but then I realized that it just might work... Bambi does get pretty intense in some parts!

I'd love to see many, many more dark rides in DCA and DL. I think Disney excels at that type of storytelling. I cannot wait for the Little Mermaid attraction! I really had my heart set on it going into the old Motor Boat Cruise area (utilizing the existing waterways and supplementing with some buildings and tunnels) but I'm really pleased we are getting this ride at all, anywhere.

So, any ideas about what to do with the Motor Boats then?

The bear band bears are playing now, in the good ol' key of G.
    There's Zeke and Zeb and Ted and Fred and bear named Tennessee...

• former CM

"Run, Bambi, run!"

(gunshot)

"Mother?"

Fun for the whole family. DCA's answer to the ever-popular "Snow White's Scary Adventures."

• Disneyland History Lover

A Bambi ride instead of Pooh would be really nice.

You really do solid work. I love the style you draw in it is just so clean and elegant. I love the idea of the stain glass and the architecture. I'm not so sure however on the implementation of scenes etc. It doesn't seem like the ride has a clean focus or point. Great drawings and queue though!
    Armchair Imagineering!:

The Grand Cinema Journey? (Name ideas welcome)

Concept Map! (Thread to follow)
    Grizzly Peak Mining District

• Yeti Enthusiast

I've always liked the idea of a Bambi dark ride...it's been floated on these boards for years. There's a lot of dramatic imagery in there that would translate well to a sophisticated dark ride.

I'm not sure that the jeeps are a great fit though, as humans have a very limited presence in the story (The hunters are heard, but never seen). A trackless ride system like Pooh's Hunny Hunt in TDL would be amazing, especially since the most effective parts of that ride are creating expansive environments that actually feel like they're outdoors...largely because you're not on a visible track.

Quote Originally Posted by MistaDee View Post
    You really do solid work. I love the style you draw in it is just so clean and elegant. I love the idea of the stain glass and the architecture. I'm not so sure however on the implementation of scenes etc. It doesn't seem like the ride has a clean focus or point. Great drawings and queue though!
    Thanks! I really appreciate your comments!! I agree about the story being foggy i didnt really explain it that well. You basically go on a journey through the forest and encounter the classic moments from the film bambi.

Breakdown of show scenes:

Note: between these scenes you would pass through the forest and hear the gunshots of hunters. you would feel pumps of air to feel as if they were just missing you. You would see faline perched up on a rock with the hunters bloodhounds jumping at her. You would then pass through the hunters camp and see the fire break out.

Note: In the fire sequence the forest animals flee. State of the art pyrotechnics are used to add to the intensity. you race with bambi and his father for safety.Right as a wall of flame rises up in front of the jeep, the vehicle drops down into a gully (think indiana jones boulder drop into the darkness.) The following scenes come after...

end of ride
    Last edited by hawk671; 05-25-2010 at 03:53 PM.

ok I understand a little better now. However this may come across as a little forced if you're being led throughout the story rather than exploring the wilderness for yourself. Think of a fantasyland dark ride versus pirates. Definitely with it being a little bit more open ended this would make for a fantastic addition to the park. Though I do have my own plans for the area....mehehehehe
    Armchair Imagineering!:

The Grand Cinema Journey? (Name ideas welcome)

Concept Map! (Thread to follow)
    Grizzly Peak Mining District

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast