Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: what is up with mr. toad's

Quote Originally Posted by JungleCruiseFan View Post
    Well it used to be that the pirates were chasing the wenches.
    But there's still sexism.
    i.e. Auctioning off the wenches

So pirates then would maybe be more of prostitution than rape....or both...hmm (never really thought about it...but it is a pirates life!)
    Vacation...Counting Down the Days...Disneyland Here I Come

• Minion

mr toads wild ride is prety fun actualy and yes as others that posted have said the trip to hell is quite tame compared to snow whites scary adventure.. and whats even cooler is we still have this ride..and Disney world does not...but on the flip side they have the country bears and we do not.....
    "Alright you primative screwheads listen up.."BRUCE CAMPBELL

Quote Originally Posted by sunrider View Post
    mr toads wild ride is prety fun actualy and yes as others that posted have said the trip to hell is quite tame compared to snow whites scary adventure.. and whats even cooler is we still have this ride..and Disney world does not...but on the flip side they have the country bears and we do not.....
    But from what I've heard the Country Bears are in terrible shape over there and are in deperate need of a refurb, while Mr. Toads is in a well maintained shape.

• I'm not really here

I think the OP was questioning why the ride was in Fantasyland, not that it didn't belong in Disneyland.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    The overriding theme of Disneyland is peril. Almost every attraction involves some kind of danger that you escape from.
    I think there is a misconception here that Fantasyland implies that everything is happy and wonderful. The truth is that underneath every fantasy lurks something dark and misshapen, bent on filling the world with darkness and despair. It is precisely this contrast that makes fantasy work. Without the fear, the worry and anxiety, you can't conquer, you can't gain that happiness. You can't know happiness without also knowing despair and sadness as you have no context.

Walt said on several occasions that he did not believe in talking down to kids or pandering to them. His early movies did not seek to hide the awful truth about the evils of the world. Snow White's own step-mother succeeds in poisoning her with the intent to kill. Pinocchio is about a man who turns run-away children into donkeys and sells them as labor in salt mines. You have Maleficent torturing Prince Phillip psychologically as well as turning into a massive dragon. The danger and peril of real life is very prevalent in the best of Disney's movies. It is something that they have lost sight of in recent years. These dark rides reflected that danger and peril that is always present in the best of Fantasy. Again, recent rides have forgotten this crucial element.

Quote Originally Posted by plagued View Post
    i actually find going to Hell a bit tame compared to the horrors of the dark forest and old hag lady popping out at you in Snow White..
    Agreed. Snow White is my favorite of the Fantasyland rides and my 2nd favorite overall at the park simply because it stayed true to the darkness and evil inherent in the story its telling.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyRicky View Post
    [...]but just look at the end of Snow White. You go into the room right before the end where you see Snow White and all the Dawrfs, then you go through a door, just to be welcomed "And They All Lived Happily Ever After!"
    This is because the ride was originally conceived as one where you the rider played the role of Snow White. All of the Fantasyland dark rides were designed this way. YOU took the role of the main character. It was not until the 1983 remodel that the characters were added into their rides. As the character of Snow White, once you bite the apple you're unconscious until the Prince kisses you and you ride off with him to your happily ever after. They show the dwarves chasing the Evil Queen up the mountain for closure on the plot-line.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Open_at_the_close View Post
    But from what I've heard the Country Bears are in terrible shape over there and are in deperate need of a refurb, while Mr. Toads is in a well maintained shape.
    maybe true but with WDW doing things on the cheap..it does not surprise me...the plauge that haunted Disney land seems to have moved east.....
    "Alright you primative screwheads listen up.."BRUCE CAMPBELL

• Boat shoes all day long

That old toad, classic! You will certainly find that during your awake time, there are enough minutes per day to absorb a couple of pages of snobby animals and their antics. Check it. The Wind in the Willows is an amazing read. A couple years ago I got to put my hands on a first edition. It was pretty amazing. I was transported to rivers where Toad was impersonating a washerwoman to elude the authorities - Scotland Yard I am sure.

Complete the book and you will have a new respect for the old toad and his brave and dedicated rodent friends.
    "Let's get weird" -Abraham Lincoln

• "The Musical Quil"

Quote Originally Posted by poohbear647 View Post
    i dont know why this ride is in fantasyland you go in a bar and get druck and then you get in a car crash then u go to jail then u get out and get back in a car and get hit by a train and die then u go to hell i dont see that as a kid ride
    Things were different in the 50's lets just face it.
    DJ JARVICIOUS
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Electro | Hip-Hop | Top 40 | Funky
    www.Facebook.com/DJJarvicious
    www.SoundCloud.com/DJJarvicious
    Instagram / Twitter: @DJJARVICIOUS

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by JungleCruiseFan View Post
    Well it used to be that the pirates were chasing the wenches.
    I thought the pirates just wanted their freshly made cookies.

• Honorary Jungle Skipper

Quote Originally Posted by Let's Enunciate View Post
    I think he was referring to the Wind in the Willows not being Disney originally before the Ichabod and Mr. Toad combine thing.
    If that's how we look at it, we'd have to do the same to 99% of the classic animated features. I'm pretty sure Lion King and Lilo & Stitch are the only full-length, single-story features not based on books, classic fairy tales, myths, or history.

Also, just because there is a scene in a bar doesn't mean Mr. Toad gets drunk (or druck for that matter). You can enter a bar and still leave sober.

• Honorary Jungle Skipper

Also, one of the great things about this attraction: I also hadn't seen the feature when I first rode it as a kid either, but it made me want to! Synergy!

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by clockworkmonkey View Post
    I'm pretty sure Lion King and Lilo & Stitch are the only full-length, single-story features not based on books, classic fairy tales, myths, or history.
    Lilo & Stitch was based on The Ugly Duckling
    Lion King is a retelling of Hamlet

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    Lilo & Stitch was based on The Ugly Duckling
    Lion King is a retelling of Hamlet
    Both of those are more or less inspired by and not necessarily based off of. Every other Disney movie stayed true (more or less) to their original stories.

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by ICe101 View Post
    Both of those are more or less inspired by and not necessarily based off of. Every other Disney movie stayed true (more or less) to their original stories.
    I don't know about that. Alice, Peter Pan, Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella, Snow White, Little Mermaid... have you read the originals of all of these? Disney did some pretty heavy editing. While the characters may have stayed the same, the stories had some major changes. With Lilo & Stitch and the Lion King the stories stayed the same, they just changed the characters.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by ICe101 View Post
    Every other Disney movie stayed true (more or less) to their original stories.
    Sorry, not more, less -- in most cases, much less.

Read the original Grimms, Collodi, Salten, Carroll, Barrie, Greene, Perrault, Smith and Kipling, then screen the films -- you'll see how much is Disney, and how much is source. Or ask Valerie Lawson, the biographer of P.L. Travers, how true Disney stayed to the Poppins books.

It's not for Disney's adherence to the literary works he adapted that Richard Shickel titled his 1968 critical biography of Walt, The Disney Version.

EDIT: Oops... Mycroft beat me to it!

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by BoygunaSurf View Post
    That old toad, classic! You will certainly find that during your awake time, there are enough minutes per day to absorb a couple of pages of snobby animals and their antics. Check it. The Wind in the Willows is an amazing read. A couple years ago I got to put my hands on a first edition. It was pretty amazing. I was transported to rivers where Toad was impersonating a washerwoman to elude the authorities - Scotland Yard I am sure.

Complete the book and you will have a new respect for the old toad and his brave and dedicated rodent friends.
    Great post!!

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast