Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• I'm not really here

Re: what is up with mr. toad's

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Oops... Mycroft beat me to it!
    Wow, that's a 1st, I'm usually riding in on your coat-tails! Thanks. I liked the details in your post.

It's kind of funny to watch people reactions when they borrow my copy of Grimm's Fairy Tales. They come back really confused, or grossed out. And anyone who reads The Little Mermaid usually comes back completely depressed. There is this huge misconception that the Disney versions are just like the real ones. People have forgotten that fairy tales are dark, scary stories meant to frighten or scare people into good behavior by having extreme negative consequences for inappropriate behavior. They use extremes to drive home a lesson. The Boy Who Cried Wolf ended up getting eaten by the wolf. A boy. All because he lied. When you're little and you hear that story it really makes you not want to lie, ever... so you don't get eaten by a wolf.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Blew By You

Quote Originally Posted by 10/6 View Post
    Things were different in the 50's lets just face it.
    You took the word right out of my keyboard. 50s humor. Devil=Communist. We escape from the USSR and find ourselves in the good ol' USofA.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    Lilo & Stitch was based on The Ugly Duckling
    Lion King is a retelling of Hamlet
    wasnt there the whole kimba the white lion fiasco tied to the lion king as well?
    "Alright you primative screwheads listen up.."BRUCE CAMPBELL

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by sunrider View Post
    wasnt there the whole kimba the white lion fiasco tied to the lion king as well?
    Yes, that as well, but since that never really got much wide release and we were talking about books I left it out. But yeah, and I don't think the truth on that one will ever really be known.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• keh!

Quote Originally Posted by SidVicious View Post
    Alice in Wonderland is also a recreation of an acid/PCP experience.
    actually it's about parallel universes.

• Destroyer of Mallcore

You could take any disney film as you will. You could put too much thought into it or put too little thought into it. You lose either way. Just take it in and enjoy it and if a fictional eternal damnation for a frog is offensive to your children, don't let them go outside

Now, I'll turn that little mouse's dream into a nightmare Fantasmic!

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    The overriding theme of Disneyland is peril. Almost every attraction involves some kind of danger that you escape from.

...which, as we now know, evolved into Innoventions.

Awesome.

Thank you, Bob!
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

• Honorary Jungle Skipper

I'm well aware of how freely Disney adapts their features (and you're right - the original Little Mermaid is ridiculously depressing), but it's still more than fair to say they're based on those sources. The only thing Lilo & Stitch has in common with the Ugly Duckling is that a character with negative traits grows into a character with positive traits (that and that the original story is mentioned). I almost brought up the Hamlet and Simba influences on Lion King, but the audience catching influences is still a big difference than being based on them.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by clockworkmonkey View Post
    I almost brought up the Hamlet and Simba influences on Lion King, but the audience catching influences is still a big difference than being based on them.
    ...in the fall of 1993, during one of the weekly [Lion King] meetings, a story artist mentioned that "You know, what you're really trying to do here is tell the story of Hamlet." Katzenberg paused for a second. Suddenly everything fell into place. "You're right!" he exclaimed. Katzenberg urged that the dialogue be made "more Shakespearean."

In the resulting script, Scar, the king's brother and Simba's uncle (and the voice of Jeremy Irons), became a much more important role. In Shakespeare, Hamlet's uncle kills Hamlet's father, the king, so he can marry Hamlet's mother. The king's ghost returns to exact vengeance. In
    Lion King Scar kills Simba's father, who later returns as a ghost...
    -- James B. Stewart,
    Disney War
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Minion

... Or ask Valerie Lawson, the biographer of P.L. Travers, how true Disney stayed to the Poppins books.
    Mrs. Travers herself worked directly with the Sherman Brothers on the film's concept and adaptation, early script treatments, etc. There are hours of tape recordings of these meetings about how she thought it should be done.

Working directly with the original author just wasn't possible with most of the other film adaptations.

• Honorary Jungle Skipper

...in the fall of 1993, during one of the weekly [Lion King] meetings, a story artist mentioned that "You know, what you're really trying to do here is tell the story of Hamlet." Katzenberg paused for a second. Suddenly everything fell into place. "You're right!" he exclaimed. Katzenberg urged that the dialogue be made "more Shakespearean."

In the resulting script, Scar, the king's brother and Simba's uncle (and the voice of Jeremy Irons), became a much more important role. In Shakespeare, Hamlet's uncle kills Hamlet's father, the king, so he can marry Hamlet's mother. The king's ghost returns to exact vengeance. In Lion King Scar kills Simba's father, who later returns as a ghost...
    -- James B. Stewart, Disney War

Thanks. Just as I thought then: they initially constructed the story without consciously basing it on Hamlet, but instead drew influence when the noticed the similarities.

• poohbear is dope

i see

About 400 miles, maybe less, from Anaheim, CA

I think that it's pretty funny how you go to hell and the ride's over. Still love going on that ride though.

• Vroom, vroom!

I loved that ride! Still do.
    To answer about if I think that hell is too extreme, nope.
    To re-phrase what walt once said in more modern terms,
    Kids are not as dumb as you think and these things are part of what builds caricature in kids. in other words, Dont talk down to them and they will understand better and in the long run be better off for it
    I am Scary Scott,
    Call me a turn coat, a lunatic, loup garou, or skin walker. Shape shifter, lychanthrope, A moon watcher, or just crazy.
    I am Scary Scott, The steampunk, brony, author of Northern CA, that has just moved to Southern CA!
    Poor? Yes. Money? Forget about it, I got none! If I had it, I wouldn't for long, I want too much stuff!
    Disneyland for me is my absolute favorite place on earth, So I am the oddest werewolf you ever will meet.

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    Scary: your post is dripping something. Tastes like sarcasm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karalora View Post
    This is excellent news! There are all sorts of good changes to the park that we were promised when Hell froze over.
    Hey, any of you like MLP Fan Fiction? (Laugh now, but It's practice for being an author some day!)
    Anyhow, check out my profile on fimfiction.net I'm Phoenix Quill there.

• Minion

as far as the hell scene in mr toad..it has actualy been toned down a bit..when i rode it last year there is a demon that would breath smoke at you...and it didnt do it that time,
    "Alright you primative screwheads listen up.."BRUCE CAMPBELL

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast