Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Senior Minion

Re: Happy 50th Anniversary Mine Train Thru Nature's Wonderland!

^^ Thanks Bob & Barry... great posts, both.

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• i am JOSHUA hear me roar!

Quote Originally Posted by jesterjack View Post
    although pretty much every part of that pretty much describes the entire population of people under 18,
    except for that one 14 year old living on that little island a ferry ride from NYC,
    AKA jesterjack, AKA, me!
    And me
    Quote Originally Posted by williamtheking View Post

DapperJoshua: when he reaches the pearly gates, he will be greeted by Jesus, who will say “OH! Hi there bestie!”
    Quote Originally Posted by Monorailorange33 View Post
    Wake up in the morning feeling like Dapperjosh, I got Mickey ears, Im out the door! Im gonna hit this park! Before i leave, brush my teeth, with a bottle of crest!
    Im talking, Get a fast pass for pooh, *Pooh*, Space Mnt. is a long wait too, *too*, Gonna take an hour just to get through, *through*
    Yeah.. Thunder Mnt. aint that long, *long*, dapper dan's still singing that song, *song*, Hope the wait time isn't loooooooong!
    -- that's my disney re-make of it.
    TUMBLR TWITTER Followww

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    Exactly! My memory of Tomorrowland in the 1970s was as an exciting, almost glamorous place at night, full of people and motion... huge crowds ......
    Was it like this in the '80, '90? When did it start to decline?

I recently got interested in the MTTNW ride. I also thought of a ride where they can bring back NW as a flume ride. I think they should put a mine train ride near Grizzly Peak.

• Minion

It was probably more of a gradual decline by degrees, with certain key dates being milestones. America the Beautiful closed in 1984, Adventure thru Inner Space closed in 1985, Star Tours opened in 1987, America Sings closed in 1988, Mission to Mars closed in 1992, Skyway closed in 1994, PeopleMover closed in 1995, Rocket Jets closed in 1997, then of course in 1998 the "makeover" of Tomorrowland. So over a 14-year period of 1984 through 1998 a lot of changes took place there.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    It was probably more of a gradual decline by degrees, with certain key dates being milestones. America the Beautiful closed in 1984, Adventure thru Inner Space closed in 1985, Star Tours opened in 1987, America Sings closed in 1988, Mission to Mars closed in 1992, Skyway closed in 1994, PeopleMover closed in 1995, Rocket Jets closed in 1997, then of course in 1998 the "makeover" of Tomorrowland. So over a 14-year period of 1984 through 1998 a lot of changes took place there.
    None for the better, sadly...with the possible exception of Star Tours, and that could be debatable.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• 1st Visit: 7/23/1955

Sometimes being "old" totally rocks, because I absolutely remember this ride. I loved it.

I also remember a film we were shown about it in elementary school. It was of Walt walking through the ride and comparing it with the real places it was inspired by in the Southwest. Fascinating stuff even for an eight year old.

Thanks for the photos. Great seeing them!

• Animatronic

I was lucky enough, as a kid, to ride up front with the ride operator. He told me it was one of his last trips, I didn't know at the time he meant the entire ride was closing. The small cars and the large scope of the ride, made the ride epic. You crossed chasms, went under balancing rocks, went from small tight spaces to epic vistas. This ride was amazingly well designed and well blended into the Rivers of America.

Walt certainly knew how to design a land where the whole was greater than the sum of the parts. Without the Rivers of America, the ride wouldn't have seemed as epic, and without the Mine Train ride and Cascade peak, the rivers certainly don't feel as rich.
    it's a sale of candy and a sale of plush, it's a sale of toys and disney stuff
    there's so much that we sell, that it's time we tell, it's a plush plush sale!

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dopey's Girl View Post
    Sometimes being "old" totally rocks!
    OFF TOPIC...exclamation point added...

I'd just like to contemplate on that a moment...thank you DG!
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Delawarean Girl

Didn't get a chance to ride you. But would had loved too. Happy 50th to you and thank god for YouTube and for people that have old photos to keep your memory alive.

• Minion

Sometimes being "old" totally rocks!

That is the last thing I need to hear. But I feel privileged that I was able to experience the "old Disneyland" in person and now the "current Disneyland" in person as well. Like living 2 lifetimes.

I also remember a film we were shown about it in elementary school. It was of Walt walking through the ride and comparing it with the real places it was inspired by in the Southwest. Fascinating stuff even for an eight year old.

I've never seen that film... was that an episode of Wonderful World of Disney, or what? I'd love to see that. I like how Walt heavily promoted everything he did.

I wish the Rainbow Falls effect could be re-created in something like Splash Mountain. It looks so cool.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • ♠ Pirate Wizard ♠

Blog Entries

Amazing post Nautilus. And thanks Bob for the added photos and videos. Together it made this thread a slam dunk.
    You can never run out of imagination. The more you use, the more you gain.

• Minion

There is one place in Splash Mountain where there are drops of green fluorescent water being shot up in arcs or straight up. That reminds me of the Rainbow Caverns effect much more than the cave at BTMRR does or the Calico Mine Train at Knott's does.

• Artistic integrity

Thank you Nautilus, and Bob for your amazing contributions to Nature's Wonderland 50th!

I was 12 at the time it was torn out. Plenty opportunities to see it in visits throughout the 70s. But as my parents were my constant guardians ... they never made their way to this corner of Disneyland .. and I never got to ride it.

Somewhat forgotten all these years .. but here at Micechat both Nautilus and Bob have helped to create a fondness (now) .. through so many pictures and detailed posts to describe the ride.

I surely hope that whatever imagineering has in store for this area of Frontierland in the future .. that it contains a nod or two (or more) to Nature's Wonderland Mine Trains.

There's only a subtle reminder to Rainbow Caverns in the Big Thunder's first lift .. and section of Splash Mountain following the dip-drop. But a recreation of Rainbow Caverns in some proper form would be great.

As imagineers "play away" behind closed doors in Glendale ... I hope a few are taking a peek at the constant threads to Nature's Wonderland .. including this one on the 50th ... and keep an open mind to include something in their new plans ... as the 1960 ride was packed with rich details .. that are as relevant in the early 21st Century ... as much as they were in 1960.
    Last edited by Tomorrowland_1967; 06-10-2010 at 07:26 PM.

• Minion

Yes, I wish they would build something, including a slow train, which would have 2 stops, one in Frontierland and one at a mining camp located where Big Thunder Ranch is now. You could get on or off at either location. The first part of the train would go through the wilderness area which is unused now, and the return trip would go through a newly-built Rainbow Caverns, which would have to be underground now. The mining camp itself would be a primitive-looking area with dirt paths, not paved, and have attractions like a dig-for-gems area, where kids could dig around and keep any shiny colorful objects they find. (But of course, being a mining camp, bandits could come by and rob you of them). There would be a blacksmith shop and other assorted things to see and do, and old west characters to meet and interact with. There could also be an entrance tunnel there into a major attraction built outside the berm in that area. I think that would be more fun than what they have now in Big Thunder Ranch and the largely unused Festival stage.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast