Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

World of Color warning. You could get very very wet.

Here is an observation I had.
    I was in DCA yesterday and my daughter and I were walking around the the lagoon and just entering the east side of the WOC viewing area. As we did they tested one of the water cannons in the center of the lagoon about 20-30 yards away from the railing. The shot was at least a hundred feet high and as the water descended, it was pushed by a gentle breeze and absolutely soaked about a 10 yard by 10 yard area of the viewing area right by the rail.

I was thinking holy crap that was a lot of water and it would have come down right on the crowd if they had been there. There was a security guard there and we were discussing the water that had just rained down from the shot and he was telling us how much water comes down during the actual show. He warned me that people in the front section were defiantly going to get absolutely soaked for 20 min.

So let this be a warning to anyone planning on using expensive electronic equipment or for that matter simply dont want to get douced. If it is even the slightest bit breezy there is the very strong chance you will get super drenched and leave sopping wet.

Any thoughts?

Re: World of Color warning. You could get very very wet.

I'd imagine that they'll treat it like the fireworks show. If the wind is above a certain level, the show will be cancelled. But otherwise they should at least post signs stating that there is a chance of getting wet.

• Minion

They'll mark off certain parts of the viewing area as a Splash Zone
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

Sometimes, in the dead heat of summer, even at night, getting a little wet might be nice. It's part of the reason the water rides get so busy during the summer time.

Although, I would understand not wanting to get totally soaked. A cool mist might be nice.

• The Study of Wumbo

There is a reason that they are testing the show.
    -Hale (wumbology)

a.k.a. h2mc, omnimover.mousetalgia, omnimover, wumbology, hogbackmtn, hhmcsharry, Hale M., h2m, h2mc

(I've never visited Disneyland Resort, Tokyo Disney Resort, Disneyland Resort Paris, nor Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, so don't be fooled when I pretend to know what I'm talking about. [But I'm pretty good with the information, if I do say so myself. And you can hit me all you want with Walt Disney World.])

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyDiana View Post
    Sometimes, in the dead heat of summer, even at night, getting a little wet might be nice. It's part of the reason the water rides get so busy during the summer time.

Although, I would understand not wanting to get totally soaked. A cool mist might be nice.
    This was defiantly not a mist. Let me say that it was not very windy yesterday. Just a slight breeze and it looked like someone dropping a bathtub full of water from 100+ feet into the sidewalk. I can wait to see how this works out during the actual show. I for one will be sitting in the back rows if I can help it.

Quote Originally Posted by cromag View Post
    This was defiantly not a mist. Let me say that it was not very windy yesterday. Just a slight breeze and it looked like someone dropping a bathtub full of water from 100+ feet into the sidewalk. I can wait to see how this works out during the actual show. I for one will be sitting in the back rows if I can help it.
    Hopefully they get all of that worked out before June 11th. I'm seeing a lot of angry soaked people. lol
    Last edited by DisneyDiana; 06-02-2010 at 01:21 PM.

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by chiablo View Post
    I'd imagine that they'll treat it like the fireworks show. If the wind is above a certain level, the show will be cancelled. But otherwise they should at least post signs stating that there is a chance of getting wet.
    I highly doubt they will be cancelling the show unless the winds are crazy ridiculous. The fireworks are cancelled because of a fire danger to the surrounding city. As wind speed increases they will most likely tone down the height of the fountains until it's at a point where it's just not worth showing it.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Hakuna Matata!

::making note to myself:: Bring ziploc bags for camera and such

• Zephyr Pilot

The boardwalk section of the viewing area is stand-by for this reason.

I bet Disney could make a killing selling WoC ponchos.

• Seasick

There will be a $40 surcharge to stand in the "refreshing mist zone".
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

• Cars Land Rocks!

Quote Originally Posted by Krillinish View Post
    The boardwalk section of the viewing area is stand-by for this reason.
    Well hopefully they let the guest know exactly how wet they will get. If you've ever been to Sea World people are told that they are in a splash zone, but you will still see many people leaving the area in a hurry when they realize how much water is hitting them. I don't see that working too well on a dark boardwalk after the lights are down.

• Where's the Cheese?

This is right along what I was thinking would happen - on a recent trip to Vega$, while watching the Bellagio water show, the finale usually busts out the sky-high water launches and I was amazed just how far that water carries as it falls to the ground...in PP's confined setting, I would think that yes, the flanks will get SOAKED...does anyone have pictures of Bob Iger's preview of the show and where he sat? Because if you want to make sure you don't get wet SIT THERE

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

This is what I was afraid of, from the very first day this show was announced.

Orange County has two predominant wind patterns, the most famous being the Santa Ana Winds which blow generally hot and dry air from the inland deserts. I am not worried about this as these winds will push the water south toward the Fun Whell and the rest of the closed-off area of Paradise Pier.

The other predominant wind pattern happens more frequently and can be just as strong as Santa Ana Winds, especially before and siding storms. And this would be the onshore flow that comes off of the ocean. This is the wind pattern that keeps the summer temperatures in the low to mid 80s instead of the upper 90s or 100s that would happen without it. This is also the wind pattern that will cause water to be sprayed onto the viewing area.

I don't think they will cancel the shows during either wind condition, or they will have to cancel the show almost every night! Basically I think the best choice is to get a viewing area further back. Or be prepared and bring a poncho.
    Last edited by DisneyIPresume; 06-02-2010 at 02:09 PM.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast