Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• It all started on a train

Hemet, Ca (70 miles from Disneyland, just close enough to bike there ;) )

Disneyland or Bust!

Ok. I have had this idea in my head for a while now and decided to share it. I think it would be cool to ride my bike to Disneyland. No, not a motorcycle, but an actual pedal bike. As said, I have has this idea for a while and only just figured a way to DL. The mileage count from my house would be aprox. 72-75 miles! My plan is this: Take a day to ride to DL and get a hotel room (depending when I get there I might relax in the park and not ride anything to just chill for a while), spend the night, goto the parks all day the next day and spend the night, I might stay for 2 days,then on the 3rd, or 4th day, bike back the 75 miles to home.
    Here is a brief map: (it may say 70 miles, but I cut most of the corners) corners)

Has anybody else done something like this to this extent? If so feel free to tell us your story!

"Why do we fall? So we can learn to pick ourselves back up." - Alfred Pennyworth - Batman Begins

• ohai

Re: Disneyland or Bust!

Haha, have fun!

• Knows Where His Towel Is

Wow...ambitious!

I would make sure that's you're in at least good physical condition before doing this. I biked my way down to the coast from Yorba Linda, and hell, that was grueling.

But if you can manage it, sounds like an epic way to get to Disneyland! And it cuts carbon emissions as well.

INTERGALACTIC WRITER FOR THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY
    HOOPY FROODS:thinkingofdisney11, DisneyIzz, A113, dmtnt55, MikeSkellington, zephr, Incrediboy, JungleCruiseFan, PerformerInWaiting, MainStreetJake, The Disneylander, littleactressann, DapperJoshua, padgerfan, SS77, DisneyLove, GummiBears_Rock, fangalicious44, animekiti4christ, *disneyprincess*, monorailorange33, Colorized, iskategoofy, stevo505, mandypandy, williamtheking, CaptainEO,Atis, firebolt413, cocoa, WendyInWonderland, ICe101, itsxxdomoxxkun, esquivel

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER!
    ASK ME ANYTHING! :: FORMSPRING.ME
    FOLLOW MY BLOG: <>

Haha, thanks!
    I am in in great physical shape at the moment. I am heavily into mountain biking, new to road biking and have a good endurance.

And it's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when. I'm going to to do this...... I just don't know when haha. I'll be sure to wear a cape short enough to not get caught in the bike's tire that says exactly what the title says, and pack a MiceChat shirt along with it lol.

Good job Disneylander! At least you managed to do it. How long did it take you to get there? And I guess it will help to not get the emissions higher, but I don't really care for that, and that is definitely NOT the reason why I'm doing it, not to offend anyone that does really care. I do care about our environment, but at the moment I can't really do anything about it..
    Last edited by DisneyTrains; 06-02-2010 at 09:11 PM.

"Why do we fall? So we can learn to pick ourselves back up." - Alfred Pennyworth - Batman Begins

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

crazy!
    At least I think so.
    Great exercise
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

It is a bit crazy, but hey,I'm really excited for this, and I'm a crazy person lol.

• Blew By You

In my youth I could have done this. I think it's a great thing to do. I used to bike sometimes about 60 miles at a drop of a hat.

• Rock Star Minion

NO CAPES!!!

Go for it.
    I can't see your map from this PC, but I'm confident you set a good one.
    You'll want to pick dates that won't be too hot. I think you missed the window this year. You'll also want to make sure you're not riding in the dark, mainly because car drivers might not see you.
    I suggest leaving just before sunrise, around 5AM. get you to DL by about noon.
    For the ride home, I suggest leaving a little later around 8AM, so the sun is not in car drivers' eyes (dangerous for you).

How will you bring everything you need for a few days' stay? I suggest training a week or so with full gear to get used to it.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

aw, but I want a cape....
    thats a drag, but o well. I made a course that would put me on the Santa Ana River Trail which will put me right on Ball rd.
    and yes it will be an early waking lol. and I plan to bike home too haha.
    I was planning on putting everything (clothes, tooth brush) in my hydration pack. It's big enough for 2 days of clothes. and yeah i will need to train with the pack on. good idea.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyTrains View Post
    aw, but I want a cape....
    Don't make me go look up on the internet which superheroes were killed because of their capes.

NO CAPES!!!

I did a quick hemet-to-dl map on Google, switched it to bicycle route.
    You doing the route south of lake mathews (shorter, but seems hillier) or north of it?

One more suggestion: bike with a buddy, or set up a check-in buddy, i.e., call every hour or so, where you are, how you're doing, etc. I don't want to hear about you on the evening news.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

NO CAPES!!!
    o fine....less wind resistant anyway lol.

i will be traveling just north of the lake on el sobrante rd. Ill compare the distances if I go south. The reason why I chose that way is because that is what I am most familiar with. I don't like to go where I haven't gone before.

Yes I will be most likely traveling with someone. If not I will be checking in frequently.

EDIT: going above lake matthews is 3 miles shorter than going below. so I'm going north.
    Last edited by DisneyTrains; 06-03-2010 at 03:17 PM.

Quick update:
    I proposed the idea to my dad, and he wants to do it with me! Which gets me even more excited to do this!

Sounds cool, good luck! Maybe you should bring a light backpack so that you could pack more clothes/souvenirs.

• ohai

Quote Originally Posted by JediPrincess View Post
    Sounds cool, good luck! Maybe you should bring a light backpack so that you could pack more clothes/souvenirs.
    Just added weight!

• Disneymom

I wish you luck. It sounds like hard work but DLR is the reward yo it is worth it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast