View Poll Results: What did you think of Disney's latest?

Voters
313. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5 stars! I loved it! A Disney Classic!

143 45.69%
  • 4 stars! Really great - A must see!

103 32.91%
  • 3 stars! I liked it. Above average.

42 13.42%
  • 2 stars. Not my cup of tea. Disappointing.

23 7.35%
  • 1 star. Terrible.

2 0.64%
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 8910111213 LastLast

Re: World of Color Reviews and Photos - (OFFICIAL THREAD)

Quote Originally Posted by Space Mountain View Post
    Then don't go. There will be hundreds of thousands of other people flooding DCA to go watch this show. I don't understand why people create accounts on these boards just to come flame this show and not post in any other threads because they just want to bash and beat World of Color. Get over it, if you don't like it, then don't go. Disney won't be losing much if the low minority who hate the show don't go see it. 'Cause the majority of hundreds of thousands of AP's and tourists will go see it.But stop coming on these boards JUST to flame World of Color. I am not saying that people who hate the show shouldn't post on here or that theyre wrong cause everyone has their own opinion, but I'm tired of reading lame posts by people who just come here and post continuously on the same thread just to 'cause a riot. dumb
    Hmmm...I submit an unfavorable opinion about WOC and I get back personal attacks. It's impolite but that's okay, I really don't mind. After all, we're only discussing a theme park attraction, not politics or religion...although sometimes I wonder on this site. It's like discussing one's taste in music. I almost got my butt kicked once because a guy overheard me say I don't particularly like "Skynryd" (Geez, I hope that admission doesn't cause any problems here).

First of all, I doubt that my comments would induce a riot of any kind. I'm just a lone voice and I speak only for myself (and some hearsay from my wife), not for thousands of park goers like some other posters apparently do. As far as the countless thousands of people that will converge on DCA to see the show in my absence, that's just a given for any new Disney attraction with the right amount of hype and is hardly remarkable. Although, the big test will be whether DCA revenues increase in proportion to the crowds. Personally, I doubt it, but that's a topic for another thread.

As far as being a "troll", over years of lurking and a few months (not days) of being a registered member, I've posted all of 3 times...now 4. I couldn't be that much of a pest. WOC just happens to be the hot topic. A better question might be, why haven't I submitted any other posts? Simply no time and nothing I felt compelled to say that hadn't already been said in a more eloquent fashion. If you haven't noticed, Disney doesn't need another cheerleader on this board.

Besides, I don't think my submissions were entirely negative. My first post was in response to a request for opinions on the biggest mistake made in the development of WOC, or something to that effect. The topic itself was a negative spin on how to improve the show. You need to understand what's broken (and the effect on the customer...which I happen to be) before you can fix it. I just thought it was a little more broken than the other posters. My second submission was in response to being flamed for submitting that opinion. Sounds like a pattern at this site.

My third post was my review and yes, it was negative. An honest and heartfelt negative. After months of enthusiastically following the development of WOC I found it long and tedious and over reliant on projections. Still, everybody should see the show and judge for themselves. Heck, I didn't like it and still saw it multiple times. However, my main objection remains the effect of the presentation on the partially rejuvenated Paradise Pier and what I see as an unnecessarily negative experience for a significant block of park patrons. After all, Fantasmic is similar in scope but it doesn't force closure of any significant attractions.

I'm perplexed that my opinion is in any way controversial. It's actually surprising that more pass holders aren't concerned about Disney restricting their access to a major portion of the park in what many feel to be prime hours during the summer season. In my case, it's a big hit to the return I expected for my entertainment investment and I don't take that lightly. That lack of concern is especially surprising on this site where, after you get past all of the fish jokes, there have always been pages of discussion and occasional whining about all sorts of minutiae, even getting down to the type of light bulbs being used on SSS, complete with close up photos and comparisons to TSMM lighting. I guess that doesn't really make much difference now that SSS doesn't run after dark, huh?

So, if you love WOC as it is, I'm genuinely happy for you.. If you relish getting to the park before 7 a.m. to get a show pass (or buying an overpriced box lunch), standing in a queue for an hour or more to get a good "seat" selection, and then standing shoulder to shoulder with a few thousand others waiting to see 25 minutes of blurry (depending on the weather) mist screen video clips framed by water fountains day after day, then your dreams have come true. Sorry, that just doesn't work for me.

I'd prefer a tight 10-12 minute show, every half hour, focusing on the impressive fountain, fire, fog, laser, sound and lighting technology installed, with minimal use of mist screens (they're unidirectional and I doubt that anybody watching from the MFW area would be interested in watching the backside of water). I'd like a show that allows unfettered access to all of Paradise Pier and can be enjoyed from anywhere around the lagoon, an attraction that complements and enhances Paradise Pier rather than shutting it down.

Regards.

My shots over the course of two viewings. Red, and Blue.

One of the first segments during the show. I can't remember or make out for the life of me what it is.

This is my favorite part of the show. The Buzzlight Year section.

This is during the "Under the Sea" Score.

During the Pirates score.

Towards the end, right after Tink flicks her magic wand.

The end of the show where everyone clears out. The fountains flow through all the colors, and Paradise Pier lights up again.

All images are HDR Photography (High Dynamic Range). If you are unfamilar with HDR photography, it is basically three different exposures merged together into one photograph containing the best light information from each one. It is not as "tricky" as it sounds, and is actually a fairly simple process. Some tone mapping programs such as Photomatix give a surreal look to the photo, while other's, such as Photoshop CS5's HDR Pro give a more natural looking photograph. It just depends on how you edit them. I like HDR because it is a more representative sample of what the human eye sees. Even tho an HDR is still not nearly as close to the contrast ratio that the human eye see's, it is far closer than a single exposure.

Hope you enjoy the images!

Tours Departing Daily - Disneyland Resort Photography

• i am JOSHUA hear me roar!

^ woah! those are awesome!! i wish i could take pics like that..or learn how to use photoshop haha its to confusing for me..i needa buy photoshop for dummies
    Quote Originally Posted by williamtheking View Post

DapperJoshua: when he reaches the pearly gates, he will be greeted by Jesus, who will say “OH! Hi there bestie!”
    Quote Originally Posted by Monorailorange33 View Post
    Wake up in the morning feeling like Dapperjosh, I got Mickey ears, Im out the door! Im gonna hit this park! Before i leave, brush my teeth, with a bottle of crest!
    Im talking, Get a fast pass for pooh, *Pooh*, Space Mnt. is a long wait too, *too*, Gonna take an hour just to get through, *through*
    Yeah.. Thunder Mnt. aint that long, *long*, dapper dan's still singing that song, *song*, Hope the wait time isn't loooooooong!
    -- that's my disney re-make of it.
    TUMBLR TWITTER Followww

• I LOVE DISNEYLAND <3

Does anyone have video of the planter fountains working during the show? I went on father's day and noticed them too late to record it.

• Love HD videos!

20 to 35 mins from Disneyland, Knotts, Universal, Raging water

^
    Here's my video that I recorded if u want to see the planter fountain at work skip to 2:59. you can see all the planter fountains going of at once.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSOsHOQFm3I]YouTube - World of Color - BEST VIEWING of the FINALES - Xtreme HD - California Adventure[/ame]
    My Brand New Youtube channel -"SoCal ATTRACTIONS 360"
    http://www.youtube.com/SoCalAttractions360

• Whip cracker

World of Color is FANTASTIC! It's super awesome! I only saw it once but I wanted to see it again. It sure gets hot on the Hellfire part.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Here's a few shots from last week. I didn't get too many of the projections as front row red zone was not the best area to view them from. In addition to a few red zone shots, I also tried to get some shots from the surrounding area as well. (The bottom level under the Syphony Swings won't give you the best view of the projections and the audio is a bit off in spots, but there are almost always free benches down there and I like the view better from there rather than in front of TSMM as it provides a panoramic view from the Funwheel across to the crowd and it puts you right on the water. Not a bad spot if you don't have a pass.)

So anyway...on with the shots:

A NOTE TO WOULD BE PHOTOGRAPHERS OF THIS SHOW:

They aren't kidding when they call the boardwalk area the "wet" zone. Following Hot Sauce's advice, I brought a dry cloth with me and had to keep drying my lens continuously throughout the show. About 1/2 way in, I was very concerned about actually damaging the camera due to the amount of water coming down. I have already lost a good video camera several years ago because I had it out in the rain for about 5 seconds. My Nikon D90 certainly isn't waterproof, so I really was worried there for awhile. It's also very difficult to see how much water is gathering on your lens once that show begins. The fountains/fire jets create their own breeze, so at any time, you can get sprayed fairly good along the water's edge. I saw the show on a fairly calm night in terms of wind, but my camera was really quite wet at several times during the show. Use caution when you shoot. I may actually spend some $$$ on waterproofing or at least one of the cheap rain guards before trying it again from the front row. Good luck if you decide to go for it.
    Last edited by Mac Daddy; 06-24-2010 at 11:19 AM.

Los Angeles, California, United States, United States

Mac Daddy- I'd recommend Body Armor for your D90, not too expensive, but really useful for this sort of thing.
    See more of my horrible photos (and a few good ones) at my Flickr photostream

• 10 Year Annual Passholder

I went last night. It was a pretty amazing show! The effects were just stunning. I do agree that it is a bit disjointed, but it was still fantastic. I am so excited to see future versions of the show.
    Pictures:

P.S. Did anyone else see Pluto on Pluto?
    Last edited by KEBSD; 06-24-2010 at 11:42 AM.

^Art by me!^
    Check out my
    Flickr page for a selection of my Disneyland Resort photography (and more)! {new photos 9.13.14}
    You can purchase a selection of my photos as well as clothing and stickers designed by me at my RedBubble page.
    Visit my
    Tumblr blog for another way to view and share my photos.
    Radiator Springs Racers ride count: 19

• Animatronic

I pretty much agree with everyone. Caught the show last weekend and was unfortunately in the orange section (back left and left side by Ariel's Grotto). There were many nice touches as to the variety, scale, and placement of the hardware, and many nice scenes, but little emotional empact to the show. The World of Color song went from upbeat, vintage and interesting to a boring ballad. Some effects were over-used and getting tired by the end of the show, and the sequences didn't really build or go anywhere. This is in sharp contrast to the 50th fireworks show, which was brilliantly contructed, if operationally challenged. I was also confused by the montage of scenes I had just seen at the end. I guess it needed an ending, but that didn't quite work. The fire jets to dry everyone off at the end, however, did work quite well.

In summery, it's well worth seeing, especially if you get a good viewing section, but don't expect the whole experience to be greater than any single scene.
    Last edited by Lore; 06-24-2010 at 10:42 PM. Reason: Removed Amy Grant as ballad singer
    it's a sale of candy and a sale of plush, it's a sale of toys and disney stuff
    there's so much that we sell, that it's time we tell, it's a plush plush sale!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by KEBSD View Post
    P.S. Did anyone else see Pluto on Pluto?
    I didn't! is this in the Wall-E segment?

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Buena Vista St. & Red Car

It's not Amy Grant who sang the World of Color theme song.

• 10 Year Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    I didn't! is this in the Wall-E segment?
    Yes! On all the domed projection things (I'm not sure what to call them), when there are planets on each of them, the one farthest to the left has a picture of Pluto rotating around its surface! I couldn't snap a picture in time, but it was really cute

^Art by me!^
    Check out my
    Flickr page for a selection of my Disneyland Resort photography (and more)! {new photos 9.13.14}
    You can purchase a selection of my photos as well as clothing and stickers designed by me at my RedBubble page.
    Visit my
    Tumblr blog for another way to view and share my photos.
    Radiator Springs Racers ride count: 19

• Minion

I know I've already posted a bunch of World of Color photos in my previous posting but I have a few more to add along with some corrections to some of those previously posted pictures. I have to premise this by letting everyone know that I am extremely anal retentive and can't stand it when something I did isn't as good as I wanted it to be. Yes, I'm one of those guys whose shirts all have to hang in the same direction and the toilet paper ALWAYS has to be over the top.

I've been waiting for over 2 years to get some decent night time pictures of Paradise Bay with Mickey's Fun Wheel reflecting on the water. They only times I have been there is either on weekdays and DCA closes early or the WOC platform has been above water level ruining my chances for a memorable photo. When we finally got there on the 13th for the World of Color show I knew my opportunity had finally arived to get a photo I would want for my wallpaper.

I don't know if you noticed or not, but in my previous WOC photos, there were parts of the Fun Wheel where the lights weren't working. The lights were out on one of the spokes and right on the top of the darn thing. You can imagine my frustration over the past 2 weeks looking at pictures where all I saw was the missing lights.

Today my sister-in-law gave me a quick lesson on Photoshop and taught me how to fix them. So here are some of the old photos retouched along with a few new ones that I just finished uploading to Flickr.

I think this one is one of my favorites.

This one also is one of my favs.

I love the way the fountains look in this one. It reminds me of the old Rainbow Caverns on the mine train ride.

I like this one because the blue water looks like paint.

I had fun with this one because it looks like a little kids model built around a Lite Brite.

For these ones, I was playing around with a reflection filter trying to get rid of the fountains sticking out of the water and getting a really clean reflection on the water.

I know this seems like a lot of pictures and I thought about just posting a few of my favorites, but what I choose as my favorites are very rarely what other people like. This way you have lots to choose from.

Enjoy.

Mike
    Life is far too short for bland food!

Flickr page: www.flickr.com/ringoffirehotsauce
    You Tube: www.youtube.com/ringoffireguy
    Facebook: http://profile.to/michaelgreening/
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/RingofFire1
    Personal website: www.mikeanddianes.com

• Minion

Talking Re: World of Color Reviews and Photos - (OFFICIAL THREAD)

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce 1 View Post
    I know I've already posted a bunch of World of Color photos in my previous posting but I have a few more to add along with some corrections to some of those previously posted pictures. I have to premise this by letting everyone know that I am extremely anal retentive and can't stand it when something I did isn't as good as I wanted it to be. Yes, I'm one of those guys whose shirts all have to hang in the same direction and the toilet paper ALWAYS has to be over the top.

I've been waiting for over 2 years to get some decent night time pictures of Paradise Bay with Mickey's Fun Wheel reflecting on the water. They only times I have been there is either on weekdays and DCA closes early or the WOC platform has been above water level ruining my chances for a memorable photo. When we finally got there on the 13th for the World of Color show I knew my opportunity had finally arived to get a photo I would want for my wallpaper.

I don't know if you noticed or not, but in my previous WOC photos, there were parts of the Fun Wheel where the lights weren't working. The lights were out on one of the spokes and right on the top of the darn thing. You can imagine my frustration over the past 2 weeks looking at pictures where all I saw was the missing lights.

Today my sister-in-law gave me a quick lesson on Photoshop and taught me how to fix them. So here are some of the old photos retouched along with a few new ones that I just finished uploading to Flickr.

I think this one is one of my favorites.

This one also is one of my favs.

I love the way the fountains look in this one. It reminds me of the old Rainbow Caverns on the mine train ride.

I like this one because the blue water looks like paint.

I had fun with this one because it looks like a little kids model built around a Lite Brite.

For these ones, I was playing around with a reflection filter trying to get rid of the fountains sticking out of the water and getting a really clean reflection on the water.

I know this seems like a lot of pictures and I thought about just posting a few of my favorites, but what I choose as my favorites are very rarely what other people like. This way you have lots to choose from.

Enjoy.

Mike

Thanks for sharing really like ur pictures especialy the last one and the farris wheel with the orange reflection in the water. I glad u learned flicker and photoshop they can be fun to play with. Continue posting more pics of other trip u are really good!!!!

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 8910111213 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 05-14-2011, 10:34 AM
  2. 05-09-2011, 11:30 AM
  3. 05-08-2011, 01:48 PM
  4. 10-19-2010, 02:04 PM
  5. 08-24-2010, 01:02 PM
  6. 08-01-2010, 05:09 PM
  7. 07-23-2010, 10:56 PM
  8. 07-23-2010, 08:38 PM
  9. 07-10-2010, 04:19 PM
  10. 06-16-2010, 09:44 AM