View Poll Results: What did you think of Disney's latest?

Voters
313. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5 stars! I loved it! A Disney Classic!

143 45.69%
  • 4 stars! Really great - A must see!

103 32.91%
  • 3 stars! I liked it. Above average.

42 13.42%
  • 2 stars. Not my cup of tea. Disappointing.

23 7.35%
  • 1 star. Terrible.

2 0.64%
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Re: World of Color Reviews and Photos - (OFFICIAL THREAD)

There are only a few things I wish it had such as:
    1. A story line/ clear sequence of events. It seems like the clips are so random. I think it should follow what it does in some points such as having films having to do with the ocean such as little mermaid and finding nemo together, but then have them go into the whales mouth and have pinochio in the whale's mouth. that's just an example but you get the picture.
    2. ALL ANIMATED FILMS. After all, it is WORLD OF COLOR. Not, WORLD OF LIVE ACTION MOVIES. Pirates is a no go, and I wish it would focus on more classics rather than some PIXAR movies. this includes STEAMBOAT WILLIE or ALICE IN WONDERLAND or PETER PAN, etc.

Other than that, I think it is AMAZING. What a joy to watch. The colors just flood your eyes and keeps you in its trance. I love it. must see.

I saw it with my brother and dad and holy cow it was amazing we were in the very front the (soak zone) it was so totally soaking and i believe it will make history for the world premiere with the red carpet one tonight with hollywood there it will be nice and then the Disney themepark premiere to the public.

WHATEVER YOU DO AP's GET THEIR FOR ME!!!
    UTAH JAZZ THE NEXT NBA CHAMPS

• Splash On In

Some quick thoughts after seeing it for the first time tonight... as it stands, World of Color, it's a mess. It relies much too heavily on projections most of which are less than inspired in their use. The fountains really only get to shine at the beginning and during the finale, the rest of the show they are almost completely distracted by the mist screens. Instead of creating the expected layered effect it often just looks like a big shamble of water. The show really is at it's best when the fountains are just shooting on their own, the color they take on is absolutely spectacular. In fact, my favorite moment was after the show, when they had the entire grid shooting on a low level and simply cycling through the rainbow of colors. It is mesmerizing.

Best sequences are Opening, Finale, Friend Like Me, April Showers.

Worst is far and away everything starting from the Lion King stampede sequence on up to the finale, most notably that irritating god-awful pop music piece of s*** they play over it.

I have no doubt this show will go through an extensive evolution after this summer season. It's just not great, in fact, it's kinda boring and in the end left me cold. There's something really special out there in that lagoon, but this is not it.
    Last edited by WickedScorp; 06-10-2010 at 11:07 PM.

• Banned User

Saw the show again. It's just amazing. The scale and scope wow me each time. This is an incredible addition and I have to say, I enjoy it much more than Fantasmic and the fireworks. All in all, an incredible addition to DCA and the resort!!! GO World of COLOR!!!

• Dream in wonderful color!

^ I agree. Saw the show again tonight and it was phenomenal. Enjoyed it more than the first time (first time I was in the boardwalk, too close to the action and I missed a lot.)

The show is a true mega-spectacle. Just amazing. And not only do they incorporate MFW's lighting into the show, but the globe lights in the viewing area also interact with the show. The fountains in the planters are pretty cool as well.
    - Adventure Is Waiting -

"We're going to take you out of this world of reality for a visit to the most fantastic of all the worlds of fantasy." - Walt Disney

• The Fantasyland guy

I just saw it again for the second time last night. The show is completely different dependent on where you see it from. On Tuesday, I saw it from the "you may get wet" zone and thought it was pretty good.

Last night, seeing it from the back, I felt like I was watching a different show... I didn't expect that.

From the back, I could see more and less. You see, I liked the lion King segment from the back and disliked it from the front. From the back I could see the stampede. I couldn't see that from the front at all. So the big scenes looked great from the back.

With that said, The small details were all but gone from the back. I couldn't see the lower lasers or small fountains in any way. From the back, it felt like something was missing due to the line of sight issues on these details.

I guess my point was that this show DRASTICLY different depending on where you are when you see it. If you disliked it, go back and see it again from a different spot to see if it improoves.

• Tower Lover!

The media event last night was a great experience! The first time I saw the show, while I was blown away with some of the effects, I thought it wasn't Disney's best regarding the shows "structure". The transitions did not seem to flow towards the last half of the show as well as the first, and did indeed feel like others say, random sequences. Fireworks are many individual segments but seem to flow much smoother. The fireworks do have some narration here and there, which help with the transitions too.

Some favorite scenes include wall-e, the "rising" ocean effect in Ariel segment, hellfire scene, pocahontas....oh so many. But favorite above all is the epic Buzz/Zurg battle segment. I agree with "TheDude" completely in that you get different experiences depending on where you are viewing the show. The first time I saw it in the blue are, third tier dead center of viewing area. Last night, I saw it in the boardwalk and got DRENCHED from the show. Even though it looked like I had jumped into the pool by the end of the show, it was such a thrilling and a more exciting experience being in the boardwalk. Since we were more to the right side of the boardwalk, you do sacrifice how well you can view some of the projections. But being up front, you see of the effects (fog/twinkling lights...etc.) more than being higher up in the viewing areas, not to mention the feeling of being "in" the show when you have water just pouring at you at certain times.

I still think the show could be smoother regarding transitions and such. The marlin and dory segment, as well as the bugs life kinda felt flat. Not much going on apart from the main projections, which to me could just be cut. But it was still an awesome show, and can't believe all the work the imagineers and everyone involved did to create this amazing show!
    "Animation can explain whatever
    the mind of man can conceive..."

- W.E.D.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by CMHusband View Post
    Everyone has or will have their favorite parts and mine was the Pirates of the Caribbean near the end, all the red lights, fire and video worked perfectly and that part seemed the most memorable for me.
    I feel that the PotC scene was one of the more dynamic and successful ones (another being the Wall-E scene), and ENTIRELY due to the music and fountains. The projections actually diminished it's value IMHO. In fact, it kind of diminished the overall show as it was the only live action segment which felt out of place.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by nonob88 View Post
    ^ I agree. Saw the show again tonight and it was phenomenal. Enjoyed it more than the first time (first time I was in the boardwalk, too close to the action and I missed a lot.)

The show is a true mega-spectacle. Just amazing. And not only do they incorporate MFW's lighting into the show, but the globe lights in the viewing area also interact with the show. The fountains in the planters are pretty cool as well.
    For the most part, I believe that the planter fountains were useless for the show. One of my viewing positions was at the top of the center stairs (best overall location IMHO) where I could see the whole panorama. The effect of those fountains did nothing for the show.

While watching the audience in front of me, I noticed a gentleman turn with an annoyed look after a fountain went off behind him (It's possible that he may have gotten wet from it). If it you get wet from something you're looking at and kind of expect it, it's one thing, but getting blindsided can be an irritation.

Ok, its been a few days, but I wanted to post what I thought of the show. I didn't get any photos or video, because I wanted my first experience to go uninterrupted.

I have to agree that the show can be a different experience depending on where you view it from. I first saw it Tuesday night and stood on the left side near the railing (kind of where that stage was for the Thursday premiere). It was hard to see some of the larger scenes, but I liked how you literally feel like you're inside the show.

I tried watching the show via U-stream last night, but my connection was crappy. I will say that the projections actually look clearer on film then they do in real life (then again it may have been the weather on Tuesday that diminished the projections).

My favorite parts were definitely the beginning (where the large fountain shoots up high with the lasers focused on it and the lagoon full of LED fountains), the Spring Sprite/Pocahontas sequence (though my heart did sink when I heard a lot of people around me say "Who's the green girl? ), and the Chernabog/Fire sequence (dries you right off! LOL)

All in all, I loved the show. True, there are some parts that seemed kind of choppy, but I think that its pretty incredible to think that Disney has tapped into a whole new medium to use for shows, and this one is merely in its infancy. I can't wait to go back, and will probably try to see it on the 22nd when I go back to DLR. I'm just grateful I saw it when I did and didn't have to fight the crowds.

As I type this, I am sitting at the line waiting for the 10:15 showing of World of Color. As what I can see over the heads of the thousands of people viewing the 9:00 showing, it is pretty spectacular. When it first starts, Tigger (orange), Mike Wazoeski (green), Genie (blue) and Lumierre (yellow), with the help of two emcees, are pumping everyone up for the upcoming show. In the past few minutes, Under The sea, Whole New World, Part of Your World and a few other I can't remember (lol sorry) have been playing. It seems as though they are going by movies as to groupings. The projection visuals are also just as spectacular, showing scenes from the various Disney classics. The water effects are simply Amazing. The water is lit in an array of many colors, and are shooting up to various heights to make the show experience really come alive. The music is really adding to the spectacle- everything is set to the beat of the music. Along with the classics, more movies are also featured, including Pirates Of The Caribbean. Ok, now there's a fire effect. Completely, truely real fire shooting up into the air. It is the lead in to the scene in the Lion King where Mufassa is killed. And, ohmygoodness, the water is shooting ABOVE the Mickey's Fun Wheel. The CM waiting with us in line told us that they even hired a water choreographer to make it seem as though the water is dancing. And, she is right, the streams of water appear to be dancing with the other streams. I cannot wait to see this up close and personal!!!!
    "If you can dream it, you can do it." - Walt Disney
    Thanks for the fun, Mr. Disney!! (:
    Pin Trader and *crosses fingers* hopefully future Disney

• LOL!!!!!!! (MC teen joke)

I'll save my full reveiew for when I get home. So here's my mobile review. It was amazing! They only had one problem, the GZ and CS lights didn't turn off until about two minutes into the show. Also, there didn't seem to be as m ay lasers than there were in the videos.
    The Original Teen Scene of MiceChat:
    fangalicious44 padgerfan monorailorange33 SS77 A113 animekiti4christ DapperJoshua Performerinwaiting MainStreetJake dmtnt55 MikeSkellington
    JungleCruiseFan Ckelef1 Incrediboy The Disneylander GummiBearsRock iskategoofy *disneyprincess* stevo505 Dragonfire Colorized DisneyLove littleactressann Kritter

• The one, the only...

I saw the first public show today. First, I want to say it is an amazing show that everyone will want to see and see again.

However, I do think there is some Disney magic missing from the show as a whole.

1) There really is not a story to the show. The sequences are set up in free association. Something about one character suggests another character in a different movie. I found that disjointed. It is almost like a parade of characters are just moving past your eye, but there is not enough time for a story to be told. Most people involved with Disney brag that the Disney difference is storytelling. Well, then on that self imposed standard, Disney falls short in this show.

2) As mainly a water show, I was hoping that the wonderful fountains would have a life on their own. I was hoping that the water itself would be a character, just as in the Tiki room the fountain is a character in the show that somehow responds like it has a mind of its own. In WOC, I feel that the magnificent fountains are just a supporting cast to show off Disney characters on the big screen. The fountains are like a chorus line that exists only to draw attention to the main performer, in this case usually the Disney Animated character on the big fan screen. I would have enjoyed feeling like Paradise bay had come alive somehow and was performing for us. Bringing the fountains to life, as a character on their own, would have been in the great tradition of Disney animation (Animation means to give life to something.) I think this would bring the Disney difference of magic to the show. Magic is not quite up to the Disney standards I was hoping. I want to say, "How did they do that" in the show.

But that is not to say it is not a fantastic show. WOC is amazing. I just did not feel the sense that I have been through a story as Fantasmic has, where there is tension and release. I felt more like the show was just a chance to parade out a lineup of the typical Disney characters for us to see. They just waved and said hello, but not just more.

On a side note, most of the Disney characters were from recent movies, but at the end they did show Dumbo, Lady and the Tramp and so on. The people around me seemed more excited to see these characters than the more recent ones from the Little Mermaid and Lion King.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• Addicted to Disneyhol

I saw the first show tonight from the side by King Triton's ride-a-fish and I thought to give a review of that view.

Don't do it. The show started off strong and all the people around me were excited and pumped. Then the show started into the "meat" of the show, and it fell flat. I think the problem is the show's heavy reliance on the mist screens. When the fountains were no longer the stars of the show, it got very boring. I would say that more than half the people who where there left during the show. There wasn't much to look at and people just started to walk away. It was sad really.

I now know why Steve didn't want people to see the show outside of PPk and I agree with the sentament. I'm still very excited to see the show from PPk, but if I can't get in there, I'll do something else with my time.
    Hello. I'm redjag and I'm a Disneyholic. I am addicted to Disneyhol.

• Captain EO forever

Quote Originally Posted by redjag View Post
    I saw the first show tonight from the side by King Triton's ride-a-fish and I thought to give a review of that view.

Don't do it. The show started off strong and all the people around me were excited and pumped. Then the show started into the "meat" of the show, and it fell flat. I think the problem is the show's heavy reliance on the mist screens. When the fountains were no longer the stars of the show, it got very boring. I would say that more than half the people who where there left during the show. There wasn't much to look at and people just started to walk away. It was sad really.
    I saw the first and second show from the same section as you and totally agree with what you said. During the first show there were people at least 10 deep along the edge of the bay and it seemed like every minute more people were leaving. I get the feeling that most normal joes don't know what the hell World of Color is. I overheard one lady say they were waiting for "the laser show" and another one said "We are waiting for fireworks or something"

During the second show we got a spot right at the railing (by the Screamin' launch) and the show was much better. If you're not at the railing you cant see anything but the high fountains.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 05-14-2011, 10:34 AM
  2. 05-09-2011, 11:30 AM
  3. 05-08-2011, 01:48 PM
  4. 10-19-2010, 02:04 PM
  5. 08-24-2010, 01:02 PM
  6. 08-01-2010, 05:09 PM
  7. 07-23-2010, 10:56 PM
  8. 07-23-2010, 08:38 PM
  9. 07-10-2010, 04:19 PM
  10. 06-16-2010, 09:44 AM