Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Planning my next trip...

Skipping school for Disneyland?

Because of my husband's work schedule, the only opportunity for us to take our Disneyland vacation will be in October. This means my son will be missing a week of school for our trip. Since he's a good student, and we do a good job as parents making sure he keeps up with his schoolwork and will complete any missed assignments, this isn't really a problem for us.

I remember as a kid occasionally getting to miss a day of school when our family would take a trip to DL...It almost made the experience even more special because we were at the park while everyone else was sitting at a desk

Have you or would you ever skip school for Disneyland? Or do you think your (or your kids') education is too important to even miss one day unnecessarily?

• Parking Lot > DCA

Re: Skipping school for Disneyland?

Skipped many many days of college for Disneyland.

• Northwest Disneyphile

I missed a few days of class around Thanksgiving once. I was in collage at the time and taking a light class load. If I had grown up closer to Disneyland i probably would of missed many a day of school.
    Broadway Duchess, Darling if you only knew half as much as everybody thinks you do

• Yeah.....

Some of my most awesome memories as a kid in school were from getting a "pink slip" delivered to my classroom and being told to grab all my stuff and head to the office. I knew it was either something really good, or really bad......... thankfully, it was almost always a "your parents are here to take you somewhere" situation. And that somewhere was always either DL or some other awesome place!

• Yes, that is my real name

The Far Northern, California, United States
    Blog Entries

I am guilty of not only once, but twice this year of taking Sophia to Disneyland during school time! At our school we simply filled out a form and she got all of her school work to do so she didn't really miss out on anything and the school still got their credit for her work also. I intend to be guilty of this practice again in Feb 2011 if I can save enough money up again! LOL

I would say to straight out skip, call in sick, would not be the best idea. Doing the "home study" gives the kids their work, keeps them in tune with where they should be and gives the schools the financial credit they are deserving. So that seems like a win/win to me! Also, taking a few days off I wouldn't think would totally ruin a kids academic record, unless they had a goal to not miss any days or was really interested in being the top student. I feel the experiences we gained to bond as a family in our mid school year trips have far out weighed the negative.
    Yaye!

• The 'Big Dreams' Kid

I wish.

But I'm the perfect attendance type of guy.

• Banned User

i ditched school to go to disneyland with my friends. had a blast. one of the best decisions of my life. why wouldn't i wanna go to my favorite place, while skipping my least favorite, with the people i love?

• ohai

Disneyland > School

That's coming from the School Nerd!

• LOL!!!!!!! (MC teen joke)

^^Well said.
    The Original Teen Scene of MiceChat:
    fangalicious44 padgerfan monorailorange33 SS77 A113 animekiti4christ DapperJoshua Performerinwaiting MainStreetJake dmtnt55 MikeSkellington
    JungleCruiseFan Ckelef1 Incrediboy The Disneylander GummiBearsRock iskategoofy *disneyprincess* stevo505 Dragonfire Colorized DisneyLove littleactressann Kritter

• Banned User

Oh yea, I ditched 5 or 6 times a year to go down for the day back in Elementary school. Now that I'm homeschooled, I can do work in the car, so a two hour drive down, and 2 hours back, is perfect time to get everything done!
    I'm already planning on going to college in socal, (CSUF) so I'm sure I'll happen to be "sick" one..*cough* and some *cough* day..

• Minion

i missed many days of work for dland when i was younger. I say the best time of my life.

• Bring back the Keelboats!

Oh yeah! As you can tell, I reallllllllllllllllllllllllly regret it! lol

I had to wear a body cast for 5 years and we had to drive to Pasadena 3 times a year for a new one. Guess who got to go to Disneyland at least twice a year?

I always made up the schoolwork and got good grades, so I don't think I was missing out scholastically (hope I spelled that correctly....maybe I did miss out)

Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!

Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!

Sometimes Dead Men DO Tell Tales!

Sure! I used to go a lot in November as a kid, around my birthday. My son missed a few days here in there in public school. Now we homeschool, so it isn't an issue. I agree that it does make it more special knowing everyone is in school, and you're at DL!

• Banned User

I've skipped many days of school, this school year especially, to go to Disneyland. As long as you're able to make up the work then there's no problem. Even if you can't make it up, it's still worth going in my opinion. Hahah (:

• Buena Vista St. & Red Car

Haha being in college I have opted out of class for Disneyland many days haha

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast