Page 4 of 43 FirstFirst 12345671429 ... LastLast

• Miss Teen Fresno of RCMC

Re: Why can't DLR clean the Mickey and Friends parking structure floors?

well....

i get the feeling i should be more grateful that we always stay at a hotel and park our car there.
    Quote Originally Posted by JungleCruiseFan View Post
    You know what they say- The party don't start 'til Jordon walks in.
    Quote Originally Posted by penguinsoda View Post

• I see mouse people

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Bingo.

Pre-DCA, the first impression you got of Disneyland was of the train station and Matterhorn beckoning to you from across the parking lot. You could hear the whistle of the Mark Twain, the engine's bell of the Disneyland Railroad, and gunshots from the Jungle Cruise. As a kid or adult, it was so exciting -- like an opening of a movie. A scene that said you'd arrived! There were plenty of trams to take you to the ticket booths. Riding them was exciting in itself -- you could literally see Disneyland's entrance getting closer as you approached. It was a moment of high anticipation that set the mood for a day at the most magical place on Earth.

Now the first impression is of a gloomy, dirty, industrial parking structure, and the long hike that follows. The fact that Eisner himself oversaw the details of its design makes it all the creepier.

Bad show, Disney.

I remember the good old days, too. The days when Disney didn't have to pay people to remove tons of trash from any area at the park, BECAUSE THE GUESTS DIDN'T TRASH IT. Those were great days, but they are gone. I have seen guests change kids right ON the table in eating areas. I've seen them leave dirty diapers wherever they happen to be, including the parking lot. Did you see that sort of thing when you were a kid or even a young adult?
    People's sense of superiority and entitlement has carried over into an attitude of "someone will pick it up, I shouldn't have to bother. I paid to get in, this is included"
    I'm not saying the lot is perfectly hygienic or beautiful. It's utilitarian. I prefer it to the old lot where you'd return to your car after it had baked in the summer heat all day and you could actually burn yourself on the door.
    DL can't stop people from getting out of their car and tossing their fast food trash onto the ground. And they can't clean it up until the lot is empty unless they have CMs roam the structure on foot all day toting garbage bags.
    "good show" is almost impossible to maintain if the guests themselves constantly undermine the process.
    I'm not defending the park so much as pointing out that in a few instances they can't possibly maintain the expected Disney sterility and magic, their own guests just won't allow it.
    Lighten up, if the only thing someone remembers after a day at DL is that the parking lot was dirty, then there has been failure on a massive scale WITHIN the park.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    I saw an ancient issue of Mad magazine that come out when Walt was alive, and the joke that was repeated was about how piles of money kept spilling out around Walt. Walt Disney is one of my few heroes, but c'mon.
    Urban myth.

Not to pop anyone's balloons, but...

"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."
    -- Walt Disney

"You reach a point where you don't work for money."
    -- Walt Disney

"Some people worship money as something you're got to have piled up in a big pile somewhere. I've only thought about money in one way, and that is to do something with it."
    -- Walt Disney
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Awesome View Post
    Then Disney's doing their job, aren't they?
    Because I'm sure what they were going for with the Mickey and Friends lot is "international airport".

But really, don't you think that that's the wrong kind of first impression?
    That's my point. Faulting the "dirty" parking lot floor for your "bad impression" is sort of like saying the trashed car in the corner of the city dump makes the place look bad.

• former CM

Steve rules!

Quote Originally Posted by Awesome View Post
    Then Disney's doing their job, aren't they?
    Because I'm sure what they were going for with the Mickey and Friends lot is "international airport".

But really, don't you think that that's the wrong kind of first impression?
    Maybe Steve jets around across the Pacific on Singapore Airlines
    or was recalling the glory days of Pan Am.
    When I arrive at an airport parking garage, I'm in my international man of mystery mindset, and when I'm in Disneyland's parking garage I'm already soarin'. The orderly way the cars roll in, the tunes out of my CD player, the Disney characters on the pillars, the plants and tiles along the eastern wall, and the stroller races to the elevator are all the pixie dust I need at this point.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by mrfantasmic View Post
    Oh come off it.
    One level of the structure has twice the amount of pavement as Disneyland and California Adventure combined. They steam clean the streets of the park once per week or so.
    By that logic, it would take 10 weeks to rotate through the entire structure.
    Did you expect them to clap their hands and have the whole thing done overnight?
    Another strawman argument. No one is "expecting them to clap their hands and have the whole thing done overnight." That's not what the OP is saying, and that's not what I'm saying.

The argument is about the concept of Bad Show -- parking lots or elsewhere -- and the endless parade of justifications, rationalizations and fallacious arguments that are trotted out to excuse it.

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• let's talk Disney, okay!

Another strawman argument. No one is "expecting them to clap their hands and have the whole thing done overnight." That's not what the OP is saying, and that's not what I'm saying.

The argument is about the concept of Bad Show -- parking lots or elsewhere -- and the endless parade of justifications, rationalizations and fallacious arguments that are trotted out to excuse it.
    so it will never be good enough?

The Few, The Proud, The Fans Fan of Light Magic!

• former CM

Urban myth.

Not to pop anyone's balloons, but...

. . . "You reach a point where you don't work for money."
    -- Walt Disney

. . .
    Excellent Walt quotes, Wiggins! And fast too! Well done!
    Walt Disney is my all-time favorite capitalist.
    Eisner (and his son Pressler), in contrast, seemed to work more for just money and short-term profits as time went on.

I hope Iger and his team reach a point where they don't work primarily for money and see money as more of a means to magic.

That said, I am content with the parking garage as it is.

• Wilderness Explorer

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    That's my point. Faulting the "dirty" parking lot floor for your "bad impression" is sort of like saying the trashed car in the corner of the city dump makes the place look bad.
    Not getting your analogy. The trashed car in the corner of a city dump makes the dump look bad? It's a dump, everything makes it look bad.
    I don't think you're saying Disneyland is a dump, but that's sort of what that implies. Unless "the place" is referring to the city.

Anyway, the structure itself puts out the vibe that Disney doesn't care about it. They built it, and forgot about it. I haven't seen any sort of refresh of anything. And that includes cleaning, painting, or redoing the signs.
    Yes, it's a parking lot, but it's still Disneyland's parking lot.
    I know Disney can't stop people from being disrespectful, but they can at least put forth some effort to show that they own the structure.
    If it wasn't called the "Mickey and Friends" lot, I'd have no idea it's owned by Disney.

So..... What then?

• A Pirate's life for me!

All this talk about Walt. Blah, blah, blah...

For those of you that don't want to hear it (again), Walt is dead.

The Disney family no longer runs the Park. A corporation does. Walt's ideals, principles and dreams died when he did and a corporation runs the Park. A for-profit corporation.

Corporations worry about money. Stockholders worry about money.

Corporate boards tend to answer to (major) stockholders.

To think that a corporate person in charge will keep the Park up to Walt's standards is a pipedream. Walt treated the Park personally. A corporation won't.

Does that mean that everything the corporation does is right???

Certainly not.

But they are the corporation.

And until someone steps in with a truckload of cash and buys DL outright (yeah, right) a corporation will continue to run it.

As I've stated numerous times before, the only way that anyone will get a corporation to make major changes is to hit them where it hurts. The bottom line.

Or profit, for those you that don't have a clue as to what I am referring to... (higher expenses equals less profit, hence what you have today).

RIP Walt Disney. We truly miss you...

Quote Originally Posted by DubiousEndeavors View Post
    so it will never be good enough?

Not for some around here.

Sadly, some folks keep looking for that pot of gold at the end of the rainbow too...

Somehow, I don't think either will ever happen...

• let's talk Disney, okay!

*applauds PirateMickey*

Gotta love Capitalism!

The Few, The Proud, The Fans Fan of Light Magic!

Quote Originally Posted by mrfantasmic View Post
    So..... What then?

Enjoy it for what it is.

Or not...

You do have the choice.

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by PirateMickey View Post
    . . . Walt's ideals, principles and dreams died when he did and a corporation runs the Park. A for-profit corporation.

Corporations worry about money. Stockholders worry about money.

Corporate boards tend to answer to (major) stockholders.

To think that a corporate person in charge will keep the Park up to Walt's standards is a pipedream. Walt treated the Park personally. A corporation won't. . .
    Disney's biggest stockholder is now Steve Jobs, who is famous for his obsession with quality. When Mike Dhuey co-invented the Ipod for Jobs he gave the first prototype to his daughter. It was not just about the money. When I saw two employees comforting a lost kid in DCA they were not just helping her for the money. When I moved from the Midwest to S. Cal. in part so I could work at Disneyland, I did not do so for the money. Corporations are people and the Disney corporation had more success in S. California than 6Flags and Knott's in 2009 because of their devotion to Walt Disney's ideals.
    --Tom Sinsky
    Last edited by jcruise86; 06-04-2010 at 01:33 PM.

Page 4 of 43 FirstFirst 12345671429 ... LastLast