Page 1 of 43 12341126 ... LastLast

• Disney friends are #1

Why can't DLR clean the Mickey and Friends parking structure floors?

EDIT: Here is a video taken by our esteemed fellow MC'er "Awesome". It shows a brief glimpse of what I was viewing in person during my 10 minute return trip to my truck detailed below. This video was taken and posted a few days after this thread began. Hence, there are many pages of posters wondering "why no photos or video" to illustrate my point. Well, "Awesome" took charge (thankfully) and did just that, got video and posted it to YouTube for the world to see. Here is the link...

YouTube- Sticky and Friends

And keep in mind that the video shows the the parking level as it looks at the beginning of the day after it has been swept of debris the previous night. Does Disney really think that this is clean enough for it's guests? I, and "Awesome", only hope that, upon seeing this video (and reading the following posts), you are motivated enough to put a bug in Disney's ear that will bring about the cleaning up of what many consider an eyesore and are wishing that Mickey and his friends should no longer be associated with. And now, should Disney finally take action we should all remember, it all started with a thread...

I was walking back to my car recently after a long day at the parks. I was on "Level Goofy" in the M&F parking structure and a continued annoyance became an overwhelming feeling of "bad show".

I have forever heard stories of how DL steam cleans it's streets every night after closing. The parking lot (before DCA) always seemed okay when it came to tidiness and upkeep. However, as I meandered back to my car at the FAR END of the structure it became apparent that Disney does not clean it's parking structure other than the haphazard street sweeper that cruises through there targeting trash and other debris.

The street sweeper is appreciated but it's not what I am talking about. No, what I am talking about is the sheer awfulness of the floor on the inner levels (the roof parking level looks beautiful though). The white concrete is stained with everything from squashed churros, gum, spilled sodas, stains from run over diapers (seen a bunch of those), exploded condiment packets, oil, broken bottles, and any manner of other things that can hit the floor and be crushed by tires. The floors look like an inner city back ally and are horribly stained and littered with lots of tire compressed "blackened" discarded chewing gum.

Why doesn't Disney at least occasionally steam clean a section at a time during the evening hours so there is at least no more stains from 2002! I'm not looking for a miracle here but the floors could receive at least a little TLC from time to time rather than just vacuuming up the larger pieces of left over trash. It's a guests first contact with Disney property and the first impression isn't good. The levels that have not had the benefit of the weathering (and washing) effects of sun and rain are terribly neglected in terms of some form of sanitary cleaning. I frequently see kids sitting or crawling on the filthy pavement beside cars and it makes me cringe. At $15 bucks a pop per space per day (PAP free parking not withstanding) Disney should take the opportunity to show the public what a nice parking structure should look like. Better yet, what a DISNEY parking structure should look like. That's my rant...I feel better now. "Thank you, that is all".
    Last edited by Crazee4mm; 08-06-2011 at 11:41 PM. Reason: Updated parking price to $15, instead of $14

Re: Why can't DLR clean the Mickey and Friends parking structure floors?

I know what you mean, but the shear size of that thing probably preventing daily washing. I know Universal does or used to clean their structures with power washing/steam every so often. I'm sure DLR might too, but more than sweeping daily would be very expensive.

Plus, it is hard to section off part of a usually busy lot for cleaning. Cleaning while people have access might be troublesome.

• Disney friends are #1

I understand the sheer size of the place makes it counter productive to scrub daily from a financial standpoint. Maybe monthly, bi-monthly or even quarterly would do the trick. Maybe even get it to a point where weekly "spot checking" would be enough. Who knows? Something needs to be done...yesterday.

You are right about the Universal structures, they have always been kept clean. At least their appearance didn't catch my attention due to an over-time build-up of crud. Mickey & Friends "sounds" like it should be a clean environment to park in but it is not. Stains and compacted food materials (among other things) have been allowed to build up year after year. Running a vaccuum truck over it doesn't begin to touch the stains. This is almost 10 years worth of filth.

If it got a good cleaning now, it might not need another one for maybe 6 months, or maybe even longer. Someone with authority should be monitoring the slow creep of stains and skid marks and be able to order a clean-up when it reaches a certain "level" (unless there IS and it just hasn't reached that level yet - YUCK!). Perhaps if it were cleaner, people would be a little more hesitant about leaving their trash behind. As it looks now, it practically invites people to do so. As of today, we know what almost 10 years worth of build-up looks like. Someone in charge should have been paying attention along the way and ordered it cleaned long before it got to the condition it is now.
    Last edited by Crazee4mm; 06-04-2010 at 05:04 AM. Reason: clarity

To be honest, I don't care if the street in the parking structure is cleaned or not, I only care that I get in and out of there safely.

Plus, I get to spend my day at Disneyland!

Also, keep in mind... I have heard that this is the largest parking structure in North America.

• Closed Account

Sanitary cleaning??

It's a parking lot!

I think it would be perfect if people would stop leaving trash, dirty diapers, and all of the other things that make it look this way....unfortunately that would probably never happen
    Vacation...Counting Down the Days...Disneyland Here I Come

• A Pirate's life for me!

Sadly, it's a losing battle. Some people are pigs and will always be pigs.

Just like within the Park, some folks just choose to live a lifestyle of trashiness. They throw their wrappers, cups and no longer needed Park maps on the ground or in the shrubbery. Or they "conveniently" forget to take their trash with them when they get up to walk somewhere else. Geez, there is a themed trash can every 50 feet! I'd hate to see their houses!

You can't fix stupid!

I don't know, I've been in some of the parking garages in Vegas and they seem a lot cleaner. They also seem to have a different kind of surface though (tires squeal a lot) so maybe I don't know what I'm talking about!

• let's talk Disney, okay!

I understand where you are coming from, and I agree with you! But I don't think that Disneyland has the time (with every day of the year seeming to be a peak season) or the resources (they can't just close off a floor of the garage to clean it, that would cut into "parking inventory", if you would).

I think Disney has show issues that need to be addressed in park before they work on the parking structure.

But your passion on the subject is appreciated!

The Few, The Proud, The Fans Fan of Light Magic!

• Lights! Camera! Magic!

Steve is right, it really just is a parking lot.

Plus it would cost them some moolah.
    End of post!

Well I stepped into some vomit getting out of my friends SUV one time and it was gross!!! So I wrote to Disneyland online and they did respond with a claim that they will send it to their custodial dept for follow up.
    Disneyland Deluxe Passholder

• A Pirate's life for me!

Quote Originally Posted by kelkan View Post
    Well I stepped into some vomit getting out of my friends SUV one time and it was gross!!! So I wrote to Disneyland online and they did respond with a claim that they will send it to their custodial dept for follow up.

Sounds like the term, "watch your head and step" should also apply to the parking structure!

By the time they got to it, a 1,000 people would have also stomped through it and removed it for them!

Hmmmm... What would a person be doing in a parking structure to cause them to vomit???

I can only imagine...

They need to add a few more trashcans throughout the structure near the main pillars. The ones near the elavators are always full and overflowing

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    They need to add a few more trashcans throughout the structure near the main pillars. The ones near the elavators are always full and overflowing
    And maybe add some brighter lights, some mirrors (this causes some people behave better) and some more security cameras. Not all of the cameras have to be working.

Then again, I think the parking structure is clean enough. As a wise man once said (I forget who), "It's a parking lot!"

Just keep the bathrooms on the ground level superclean
    and make sure both elevators are working.
    And keep two cast members
    ("I'm auditioning for the part of parking garage booth worker! "?)
    in each of the entrance booths so each lane has an employee to speed the lines along.
    Last edited by jcruise86; 06-04-2010 at 09:46 AM.

I don't know about the rest of it, but believe me, there are security cameras EVERYWHERE in the parking structure. Just look up, and those small 10" diameter domes you see on the ceiling are all security cameras (or good fakes).

And I do agree, it would be nicer to see it cleaner, but we all need to do our part in making sure we don't add to the problem by dropping our trash any place other than in trash cans.

Page 1 of 43 12341126 ... LastLast