Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• I Miss Carnation Plaza

If we had ticket books today...

All this talk of getting tickets and seating at World of Color had me thinking... if Disneyland were to restart the old Ticket Books for getting on attractions, what would it be like today?

In the old days, there were no tickets for things like fireworks, and most entertainment was included as part of the admission. But given how much crowding occurs with certain shows, do you suppose it would make sense to "ticket" certain shows?

Characters used to also walk around freely in the park - now they have specific meeting times and locations. Would character appearances be ticketed too?

Also, what would an annual pass become? Would it include some tickets as part of your pass?

• Banned User

Re: If we had ticket books today...

Quote Originally Posted by Pretzel View Post
    1. All this talk of getting tickets and seating at World of Color had me thinking... if Disneyland were to restart the old Ticket Books for getting on attractions, what would it be like today?

2. In the old days, there were no tickets for things like fireworks, and most entertainment was included as part of the admission. But given how much crowding occurs with certain shows, do you suppose it would make sense to "ticket" certain shows?

3. Characters used to also walk around freely in the park - now they have specific meeting times and locations. Would character appearances be ticketed too?

4. Also, what would an annual pass become?
    5. Would it include some tickets as part of your pass?
    Interesting questions! I took the liberty of numberating them.
    1. It would be wonderful.
    2. Such extravagantic shows, ones that require people to sit and wait for them, would not exist. They keep people from going on attractions. Nice end-of-night fireworks and mid-day parades are quaint for people to get a rest, but not to stop what they're doing for an hour or more to guarantee a good seat.
    3. Specific meeting times and locations are for two reasons: a) Not everyone is respectful of the character or its handler, and all it takes is one lousy person to ruin it for everyone; and b) photo ops are a profit-generator. Probably wouldn't change.
    4. Annual Pass Program would become non-existent. One of the benefits of the pie-in-sky ticket-book-returning idea.
    5. See #4. Disenyland would cease to be a place where people go as they would the local city park down the street (where people don't go perhaps because they're not safe (and why people do use APs to make DL the local city park)), and return to being a rare event for all families to do, as it should be.

(All IMO, even though I should have to disclose that.)

• Vroom, vroom!

I cant truly answer this, but I think that if they went to tickets then the price for admission would drop a bit.
    I am Scary Scott,
    Call me a turn coat, a lunatic, loup garou, or skin walker. Shape shifter, lychanthrope, A moon watcher, or just crazy.
    I am Scary Scott, The steampunk, brony, author of Northern CA, that has just moved to Southern CA!
    Poor? Yes. Money? Forget about it, I got none! If I had it, I wouldn't for long, I want too much stuff!
    Disneyland for me is my absolute favorite place on earth, So I am the oddest werewolf you ever will meet.

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    Scary: your post is dripping something. Tastes like sarcasm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karalora View Post
    This is excellent news! There are all sorts of good changes to the park that we were promised when Hell froze over.
    Hey, any of you like MLP Fan Fiction? (Laugh now, but It's practice for being an author some day!)
    Anyhow, check out my profile on fimfiction.net I'm Phoenix Quill there.

• I Miss Carnation Plaza

I was too young to remember - I think I was 7 or 8 when ticket books finally went away.

Did anyone remember how many people went to Disneyland and didn't do any of the rides? Carnation Plaza has always had dancing as far as I know, so I wonder how many people would just pay the admission, skip all the rides and dance?

From what I understand, Coney Island more or less works this way; the rides are operated independently so there is no "admission", just a charge to ride the attractions.

Does anyone remember how Knott's Berry Farm used to operate back in the mid 70's? Busch Gardens? Six Flags Magic Mountain? Did they all go on a "everything included" model or did they have some sort of metered system for their rides?

• The one, the only...

I know that when Walt was around, there were still fireworks and special shows with ticketed attractions. (I would love to have seen Louie Armstrong)

It is probably true with today's Disney management that everything would push people to ride rides. But I also believe that bigger and more elaborate rides and attractions would be built. After all, the rides would be what would generate income. Today, with the one price for all approach, there is little incentive to build new, better attractions. The incentive is to do as cheap as possible, but spend a lot on marketing to over hype mediocre, low cost attractions.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• Johnny and Me!

Does anyone remember how Knott's Berry Farm used to operate back in the mid 70's? Busch Gardens? Six Flags Magic Mountain? Did they all go on a "everything included" model or did they have some sort of metered system for their rides?
    Knott's did not go on an "everything included" model in the mid '70s. This ticket book is from between 1976 and 1980. The big difference from Disneyland is that the "A" ticket was the highest.

• A Pirate's life for me!

I like the concept, but...

This has been discussed before. My response is the same. By keeping it a one entry payment system, DL keeps it simple. And for some guests, simple is a good thing...

With the crowds of today, purchasing seperate ride tickets would be a nightmare to say the least. Decisions... Decisions...

Heck, some folks can't manage to get themselves through the entry gates without causing a backup in the line due to them not having their ticket or AP out and ready to hand to the CM. They waste time by waiting until the last second to pull out their entry media and then start digging through their purse, stroller, backpack or fannypack to find it.

Like they were in the entry line of DL for any other reason??? Hello???

Anyway, if you have to have the general Park guests involved in standing in another line to purchase ride tickets, it will be one big line throughout the Park.

Sad to say...

The best thing that would happen in my opinion is that attractions would turn from loss leaders into money-makers. Disney would have no reason to close rides just to save money as they do now (as it would the rides generating the money), ride budgets could increase, and if the rides were unpopular, Disney would have every motivation to fix them straight away.

That said, as an AP, I wouldn't want to give up my anytime access to Disneyland .

I actually think the ticket book is a better system from an experience point of view though. It motivates guests to explore A-tickets and B-tickets that many people simply ignore on their race between E-tickets, but which hugely add to the experience.

Beastly Kingdom
    ? Sci-fi City? Pirateland? Port Disney? Discovery Bay?
    My website: The Neverland Files - all about Disney projects that never got built!
    My blog: Disneyology - Imagineering news and commentary!

• I Miss Carnation Plaza

Wow, thank you for this!

Quote Originally Posted by dfan07 View Post
    Knott's did not go on an "everything included" model in the mid '70s. This ticket book is from between 1976 and 1980. The big difference from Disneyland is that the "A" ticket was the highest.

• I Miss Carnation Plaza

Quote Originally Posted by PirateMickey View Post
    I like the concept, but...

This has been discussed before. My response is the same. By keeping it a one entry payment system, DL keeps it simple. And for some guests, simple is a good thing...
    I think a fair comparison is the concept of a Buffet restaurant vs. a counter-service, order what you want restaurant.

In Las Vegas, popular buffet restaurants typically have very long lines. I would argue the food quality is perhaps good for the price, but the value is not there unless you starve yourself or are a big eater.

I think a similar thing is happening with the Disney Dining options in Florida - the restaurants are largely filled with people who are on the pre-paid dining plan in the parks, and I don't think it's helped the dining experience as a whole.

The ticket system didn't seem that cumbersome when I was younger; the place was not as crowded, and the ticket takers just took them about as efficiently as current fast-pass ticket takers do, maybe even faster because they don't have to glance down and examine the time printed on them.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by MouseketeerCole View Post
    The best thing that would happen in my opinion is that attractions would turn from loss leaders into money-makers. Disney would have no reason to close rides just to save money as they do now (as it would the rides generating the money), ride budgets could increase, and if the rides were unpopular, Disney would have every motivation to fix them straight away.

I actually think the ticket book is a better system from an experience point of view though. It motivates guests to explore A-tickets and B-tickets that many people simply ignore on their race between E-tickets, but which hugely add to the experience.
    Exactly, Exactly, Exactly!

Not to mention it slowed the whole pace of the park down......it was much less frantic feeling....with more sit-down restaurants instead of ODV everywhere, more evenly distributed lines at all the attractions and a bigger incentive for the park managers to keep the park open late(bc they could sell more ride tickets)

You felt more like a special guest of Walt himself under that system, instead of a piece of livestock like it sometimes feels like under the current system.

Disneyland should be sipped not chugged.
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Built for Sin

I have no desire to turn Disneyland into a lavish carnival.

To me, it would just make the park feel cheap and gimmicky, the whole point of the magic and ambiance is removed by having to pay per ride.

I like the entire, pay once, enjoy it all the time aspect of the park. Micromanaging rides and tickets is tediousness I have only had the misfortune of experiencing at carnivals.

I love Disneyland the way it is now.

http://www.elementridr.blogspot.com

Oh, Mother War!
    Sleep in your arms tonight, I'm burning
    I'm burning for your love
    This juggernaut of bronze and alcohol
    Machines of vengeance now are born

-Black Dahlia Murder

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Hatebreeder View Post
    I have no desire to turn Disneyland into a lavish carnival.

To me, it would just make the park feel cheap and gimmicky, the whole point of the magic and ambiance is removed by having to pay per ride.

I like the entire, pay once, enjoy it all the time aspect of the park. Micromanaging rides and tickets is tediousness I have only had the misfortune of experiencing at carnivals.

I love Disneyland the way it is now.
    Walt didn't think the ticket system was carnival like ......and he knew a thing or two about making Disneyland the antithesis of carnivals.
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• The Study of Wumbo

I think having ticket books would have some positive effects. There would be more demand for A-ticket and B-ticket attractions than there is now. Attractions like the Circle-vision films, the TTA, and the Carousel of Progress wouldn't be in such danger of being removed when people have to use that A/B-ticket up somewhere.
    -Hale (wumbology)

a.k.a. h2mc, omnimover.mousetalgia, omnimover, wumbology, hogbackmtn, hhmcsharry, Hale M., h2m, h2mc

(I've never visited Disneyland Resort, Tokyo Disney Resort, Disneyland Resort Paris, nor Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, so don't be fooled when I pretend to know what I'm talking about. [But I'm pretty good with the information, if I do say so myself. And you can hit me all you want with Walt Disney World.])

• A Pirate's life for me!

The ticket system didn't seem that cumbersome when I was younger; the place was not as crowded, and the ticket takers just took them about as efficiently as current fast-pass ticket takers do, maybe even faster because they don't have to glance down and examine the time printed on them.

Like I said, I like the concept (I started my days at DL under the ticket system), but putting it into place today is another thing.

As you stated (and I agree), DL was not as crowded as it is now and that fact will have a huge effect on waiting in line to buy ride tickets.

My point was that the delay will be with the ride ticket purchases, not necessarily with presenting the tickets to the CM's at the entrance to the rides. They have that concept down pretty good.

It used to be that cash was the payment of choice (it still is for me). In todays world, guests not only have to decide what level (and how many) ride tickets they would need, but how they are going to pay for them.

Cash (rarely), credit, debit, gift card, reward points card, etc...

Each has its own built in delay within the purchase. Maxed out credit cards getting denied, pin numbers, ID's, etc...

And sure, having just one ride ticket book available will limit the choices, but what will folks end up doing with the extra tickets for rides that they don't care to experience? Yep, they could do like we used to do and just give them away to other guests, but again, we are talking about todays (me, me, me...) world...

Nope, sadly not in todays world!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast