Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Temple of The Forbidden Eye: Actively Flawed

Now, some will likely say, who recall...but RegionsBeyond (formerly titled darkfairycthulu), you've posted at length about this ride and your thoughts! And so I have.

However, I recently re-rode it for the first time in at least 4 visits this past trip out, last week. As such, experienced it anew, and had some fresh thoughts on it. First up, a brief recap on my initial thoughts after riding the ride semi-frequently since it's opening in 1994, and losing interest in it at roughly the 2002 year mark......

The attraction, overall, had a lot of money, time, and design put into it. I will not deny the overall effort and expense, or say it is a "bad" attraction. However, to me, the whole show suffers from both elements as a slightly weak main ride layout, the current manner of pulsing people into the temple from the outdoor waiting area, and ride elements within not being of as high quality in some areas. This has resulted in my being flat-out bored with the attraction, and walking right on by even if the outdoor queue is empty. This is something that has never happened with Pirates, Haunted Mansion, the Tiki Room, Jungle Cruise, Big Thunder, Space Mountain, or even the train around the park. I don't feel compelled to stop in and ride it any more than I do the MaliBoomer or Heimlich's Chew Chew Train at DCA, honestly.

During the course of the ensuing thread, my thoughts came to crystalize that I find the ride itself laid out somewhat poorly, it feeling like "one large room" as opposed to a series of caverns and chambers for the main bulk of the experience (grand vista reveal, skeleton cave, bug room, swaying bridge, snake room, skull chamber). The space I am sure is literally huge, massive showbuilding. It doesn't feel that way, to me, though. If riding it, I find myself actively thinking, OK, what will I do next, or geez, that looks bad. That doesn't happen on really any other ride, that I am distracted in such a manner. Partly, this can be due to blank space or poor effects (the snake of recent years, the horridly cheesy blue light up demon in the skull room, the rat branch projection).

So, with all this being my mindset, I decided to give it a try after a long break this past visit. I went early in the morning, so crowds were minimal. When you can slow down and meander, take photos, the queue and even the exit are fantastically themed and full of fascinating details and atmosphere. One of my major gripes remains: the holding guests at the end of the film room so that when you pass Indy's makeshift office, there's a surge of people behind you, and you feel compelled to move on and clear the rather cramped line instead of stopping to look inside this (I am sure) very detailed and well-stocked display.

Once actually on the ride, I found myself less distracted by clear examples of tech infrastructure being visible, as opposed to previous visits. The space still feels too open and like a well-designed theme park ride, not an ancient temple with a series of separate chambers and nooks, to me, sadly. I enjoyed the skeleton cave very much, and the sound design within was great....good volume, startling, and intense. I like the new kind of lava rocks they have placed around the floor, amongst the fog: very cool. The flame effects seemed to be working, to my eyes, and were well done. Even better, the giant silly blue demon on a screen was missing, making the skull chamber much better.

The rat room projection is still very fake looking and a failure, to me. The spike room has a very good effect, if the wall paintings are a little weak. However, my largest issue with re-riding it was with the end, after the rolling ball. Literally, once our truck got to the bottom of the hill from the drop, it stalled out, in the pitch black, for what seemed like 5 minutes (quite likely less, but it was very uncomfortable in there, with the car movement, the darkness, and people getting more and more concerned gradually...nervous laughter, when will we move next, etc). Finally, the car started up again, pulling around to where Indy and the boulder scene is. We waited there a good twenty minutes, car still undergoing it's motion profile, as the service lights came on and announcements were made. This was interesting, at least partly, to observe the figure and look around with service lighting. The Indy figure is of course meant to be viewed in movement, for maybe 5 seconds, so the longer you look at it, it really looks weird and non-human (naturally). Not of course that something like that can ruin the ride for me, just interesting to observe.

This is not a statement, of course, against any Cast Member running the attraction that day, or overall, regardless of discomfort. They have procedures they must follow, and actions, before unloading the ride. This is not isolated, I would guess, however. Over my 3 day visit, the attraction was visibly closed at least two other times upon walking by. I have heard on this site, this is far from uncommon, the amount of overall downtime Indy experiences.

So, in the long run.....the tech and design flaws of Indy ensure I won't be riding this for a good while, again, between the boredom and it clearly needing a good, long refurb. I appreciate the details and effort put into the attraction, as a whole, but I don't need to ride it again for a while. This, on an attraction billed as the most-technologically advanced E-Ticket with endless re-rideability due to variations in the experience, and Disneyland proper's last new E-ticket in 16 years. Please, Disney: give Indy a proper, lengthy refurb, and make it live up to the promise it holds. Thank you all for reading, and you can commence flaming me now

• Disney Fan & Musician

Re: Temple of The Forbidden Eye: Actively Flawed

Thanks for your thoughts. I heard that Indy was running VERY good today though.
    Follow me on --> Twitter (@soda)

• Lowering Expectations

It's interesting timing to bring up discussion on the condition of Indy, because I just read from boy33 on Twitter that the attraction is much better after just a few days in refurbishment:

Best ride I've had on Indy in a WHILE! Jeep was LOUD, moved a lot, all the effects worked, ghost scrim was back with a new PROJECTED image ... and best of all, we have a new finale Indy. He looks pretty much the same, but def doesn't have the "tremors" the old one had!
    Follow news-savvy @DLtoday on Twitter by clicking on the banner below:

• You're late for TEAAA!!!!

All the things you've mentioned, I've noticed too but I still think positively on the ride and see it as the best ride ever made still despite it's flaws. Maybe I'm just bias because I personally love Indiana Jones, adventure films, thrill rides, detailed sets, bumpy jeeps, on ride audio, skeletons, going across rickety bridges, fire, flashing lights and storytelling. So all those things were put into one ride so I guess I had no choice but to love it

• Minion

i don't like this ride, it's too bumpy. i've back issues sometimes.
    they should have another version of this ride where it's not bumpy at all.
    like what they do on mission space in wdw.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by DannyLand View Post
    i don't like this ride, it's too bumpy. i've back issues sometimes.
    they should have another version of this ride where it's not bumpy at all.
    like what they do on mission space in wdw.
    That would defeat the purpose of the ride. The ride was designed with the EMV in mind. No EMV, and the experience is dramatically affected.

• Disney Detail Devourer

The past several times I've gone on Indie the cars have stalled at the end of the ride. On one ride we stopped for around five minutes at the end of the shooting spear corridor, then finally moved only to pause briefly beneath Indie. He did his spiel, the boulder rolled, we dropped, and stopped for another few minutes in the dark just as RB did. And then after going around the corner, thinking we were finally done, we stopped once more in front of Indie with the boulder. Since this has happened so frequently lately, and since I've only gone on crowded days the past few times, I had just assumed that the stalling was because there were too many cars on the track for them to load fast enough to keep the ride moving continuously. Has anyone experienced this during the off-season?
    Why yes, I am one of those people who is compelled to quote Disney movies and rides spontaneously,
    just to demonstrate that I have them memorized.
    Is that a problem? Your cadaverous pallor betrays an aura of foreboding...

• Minion

^oh, once I went on indy got stuck for like 2 mins but the it has a cool sound effect like the car was starting up.

the only flaw I see is that every time I go to DL, the line extends get and gets backed up with congested crowds, a mess. but the weird part is that when you enter the temple all you do is just walk and walk this walking space could be just used for the line instead.

same w space mnt. the indoor queue involves just walking while the real queue line involves the hot sun.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Quote Originally Posted by dth316 View Post
    All the things you've mentioned, I've noticed too but I still think positively on the ride and see it as the best ride ever made still despite it's flaws. Maybe I'm just bias because I personally love Indiana Jones, adventure films, thrill rides, detailed sets, bumpy jeeps, on ride audio, skeletons, going across rickety bridges, fire, flashing lights and storytelling. So all those things were put into one ride so I guess I had no choice but to love it
    Well, I hardly think this is the issue..I like the Indiana Jones films themselves, and love skeletons. The ride has elements of goodness to it, and a lot of effort was made. I just think it has some substantial design flaws and poor upkeep as well.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Quote Originally Posted by 2DieFR View Post
    It's interesting timing to bring up discussion on the condition of Indy, because I just read from boy33 on Twitter that the attraction is much better after just a few days in refurbishment:
    Well, that is good to hear, if accurate...but from what I know operationswise, the issues with the ride downtime may well continue, along with the core kind of things I see as "design flaws" that are built in.

• Disney Detail Devourer

Quote Originally Posted by DannyLand View Post
    the only flaw I see is that every time I go to DL, the line extends get and gets backed up with congested crowds, a mess. but the weird part is that when you enter the temple all you do is just walk and walk this walking space could be just used for the line instead.

same w space mnt. the indoor queue involves just walking while the real queue line involves the hot sun.
    The line has to be that way for FastPass, though, doesn't it? I know that I've gotten to the point that I get bummed out if the inside line for Indie reaches any longer than the caverns. As far as Space Mountain goes, the twisting hallways of the inside queue can be awfully claustrophobic, and the air conditioning in there isn't adequate at all when you've got people packed close together.

I love Indie, and I love that you can see glimpses of the "horrors" that await you. My biggest pet peeve is the giant empty flat space full of nothingness directly to the left at the beginning of the bridge, after leaving the first skeleton cavern. I think they have maybe a vase or two stuck there. That empty space, more than anything, reminds me that I'm not actually in an ancient temple of doom.
    Why yes, I am one of those people who is compelled to quote Disney movies and rides spontaneously,

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Quote Originally Posted by Djali Holiday View Post
    The line has to be that way for FastPass, though, doesn't it? I know that I've gotten to the point that I get bummed out if the inside line for Indie reaches any longer than the caverns.
    The pulsing of the line is a result of FastPass, yes. I won't get into the old chestnut "is FastPass truly good for the park" argument here, but there is seemingly a correlation between extra long lines on certain attractions and FastPass distribution, not to mention the simple fact: Indy was designed specifically to have the queue stack up inside, where there is theming galore: not have people walk briskly past it after waiting outside.

I am actually opposite the original poster. I love the idea that they have that ride weaving in and out of one BIG room. If you think about Temple of Doom for example, most of the movie takes place in two huge rooms. One with the worshipping etc in it and the room with the slaves. Now if they had gone with the original plan and put a mine car rollercoaster through it I would have been Overly impressed. I feel like the ride is fun. I HAVE to ride it a couple of times every time I go. I am actually able to notice something new every time I ride which is what I love most about Disneyland attractions.
    I often ask myself what Walt would think of the new entertainment and attractions at Disneyland and this is one I think he would love. He would have really been into the movies as well as Star Wars. I think Disney was smart to team with Lucas on these endeavors.
    I realize that I may not be as big of critic as some people on here but I feel that Indiana Jones Adventure fits the bill of what makes Disneyland so much better than a regular amusement park.
    However, I truly respect your opinion OP. The ride does need a major refurb.

• Disney Detail Devourer

Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond View Post
    Indy was designed specifically to have the queue stack up inside, where there is theming galore: not have people walk briskly past it after waiting outside.
    Just a personal preference, but I think that waiting outside is more interesting than waiting in the first part of the Indie queue. Without being able to decode the Marabic on the walls, most of the beginning of the queue has less to look at, in my opinion, than the outside queue does. I completely agree that the theming from the caverns on is fantastic, but as the line does usually reach that point, I don't have an issue with the current system.

• =)

Flame! Flame! Flame!

In all seriousness, I do think that if Disney can afford enough time, money, and effort, Indy has the potential to be significantly greater than its current baseline. Where you and I disagree is exactly where that baseline level of awesomeness is.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast