Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Banned User

Ride change you liked less...POTC or Small World?

For me personally... it's Pirates. It isn't the fact that they added Jack Sparrow, Barbosa and Davey JOnes in a couple scenes that bother me most... it's the fact that everyone won't shut up about "where is Jack Sparrow?" everywhere. It's like Poochie on The Simpsons. At least on Small World the characters are done in the same style as the rest of the ride, and the song is the same. Seeing a realistic Johnny Depp amongst characatures of pirates is jarring.

• Minion

Re: Ride change you liked less...POTC or Small World?

the potc is mostly exactly the same with very small differences. it's only just 4 new robots. I think they should have added more.

small world, the only one I like are aladdin and little mermaid.

• Everything's satisfactual

Quote Originally Posted by noleafclover1980 View Post
    ... it's the fact that everyone won't shut up about "where is Jack Sparrow?" everywhere.
    Will they ever shut up? This is at WDW too sometimes. I sort of kind of like the Small World changes but don't care for Pirates' changes. And that point that you made, so, so true.
    Walt Disney World May 1998
    Walt Disney World May 2002
    Walt Disney World March 2003
    Walt Disney World March 2004
    Walt Disney World September 2005
    Walt Disney World March 2007
    Disneyland August 2010

Check out my YouTube channel with Disney theme park music!
    Music of the Mastro Master

Visit my Disney entertainment blog!
    Disney Entertainment History

• The Study of Wumbo

Maybe Small World. I feel like the Pirates changes, while they just changed the attraction to fit with new characters, enhanced the storyline of the ride. Most of the changes in Small World bring no extra value to the attraction. Some of the displays look cute, but the integrity of the attraction would probably be stronger without the new Disney characters.

Note that I have seen neither in person, with the exception of the changes to Pirates in WDW, (before and after.)
    -Hale (wumbology)

a.k.a. h2mc, omnimover.mousetalgia, omnimover, wumbology, hogbackmtn, hhmcsharry, Hale M., h2m, h2mc

(I've never visited Disneyland Resort, Tokyo Disney Resort, Disneyland Resort Paris, nor Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, so don't be fooled when I pretend to know what I'm talking about. [But I'm pretty good with the information, if I do say so myself. And you can hit me all you want with Walt Disney World.])

• show'em yer larboard side

Pirates. The story doesn't make sense anymore. It's like you're floating along and BAM! squid-face man turning the ride concept on its head telling you dead men do tell tales. what!?

And I feel like the ending with Jack Sparrow wallowing in treasure further complicates things. The old scene of the pirates never getting away with the treasure was almost poetic. The new one feels like an ode to materialism. They might as well have had Davy Jones saying "You may not survive, when next you sail. So says I, Davy Jones. And don't forget to visit the gift shop to the right as you exit..." Maybe I'm just reading too far into things?

"No fear have ye of evil curses, says you? Properly warned ye be, says I. Who knows when that evil curse will strike the greedy beholders of this bewitched treasure?"

DEAD MEN TELL NO TALES

"Perhaps ye knows too much. Ye've seen the cursed treasure, ye know where it be hidden. Now, proceed at yer own risk. These be the last friendly words ye'll hear. Ye may not survive to pass this way again."

• Resident Ghost

Quote Originally Posted by DLmeg33 View Post
    Pirates. The story doesn't make sense anymore. It's like you're floating along and BAM! squid-face man turning the ride concept on its head telling you dead men do tell tales. what!?
    The story never made sense. There was never a story before to begin with...

Quote Originally Posted by DLmeg33 View Post
    Maybe I'm just reading too far into things?
    Yup... :P

• Disney Detail Devourer

When I first heard that they were adding Disney characters to Small World, I was annoyed - the ride is Disney already, and I felt like the characters would detract from the rest of the ride. Surprisingly, though, I didn't mind the characters as much as I thought I would. They add the "see who can spot all the Disney characters" aspect to the ride, which gives people who aren't quite as thrilled with the ride something to do. And it is cute to ride it with small kids and see their reactions.

I was more bothered by the changes to Pirates. The movies were supposed to be based on the ride; the ride was not supposed to be based on the movies. I felt like the changes were catering to the massive PotC movie fangirl base, rather than trying to really enhance the ride experience. And while the changes do at least have a story line, I feel like it doesn't totally mesh with the story that already exists in the ride - I always go into thinking, "This time I'll really pay attention and figure out exactly how this all fits together," and then I come away wondering how Jack Sparrow magically ended up filthy rich at the end.
    Why yes, I am one of those people who is compelled to quote Disney movies and rides spontaneously,
    just to demonstrate that I have them memorized.
    Is that a problem? Your cadaverous pallor betrays an aura of foreboding...

• Disneyland History Lover

Small World probably bothers me more than Pirates. Of course, I never rode either before the changes as I didn't visit the park until '07. I never rode Small World until the changes came (not counting the Holiday version). I like Pirates, but it is a bit weird. The story is a bit unusual (if there is a story at all). I just want to know why the townspeople want to hide Jack Sparrow. What is he to them if not just another pirate? And why do they let him get away with their treasure? The random Davy Jones apparition doesn't make much sense either. I think he was only put in there to tie into the movies at that point in time.

Quote Originally Posted by Djali Holiday View Post
    The movies were supposed to be based on the ride; the ride was not supposed to be based on the movies.
    Yeah, I totally get what you mean. It's comparable to all the tinkering with the classic Star Wars movies and the continual adding of stuff to them to make them fit in with the newer movies.

• Imagineer in training

7.9 miles from the Happiest Place on Earth!

Quote Originally Posted by Djali Holiday View Post
    When I first heard that they were adding Disney characters to Small World, I was annoyed - the ride is Disney already, and I felt like the characters would detract from the rest of the ride. Surprisingly, though, I didn't mind the characters as much as I thought I would. They add the "see who can spot all the Disney characters" aspect to the ride, which gives people who aren't quite as thrilled with the ride something to do. And it is cute to ride it with small kids and see their reactions.

I was more bothered by the changes to Pirates. The movies were supposed to be based on the ride; the ride was not supposed to be based on the movies. I felt like the changes were catering to the massive PotC movie fangirl base, rather than trying to really enhance the ride experience. And while the changes do at least have a story line, I feel like it doesn't totally mesh with the story that already exists in the ride - I always go into thinking, "This time I'll really pay attention and figure out exactly how this all fits together," and then I come away wondering how Jack Sparrow magically ended up filthy rich at the end.
    Pirates never really had a true story. It was meant to be an experience ride. The underlying current is that the pirates invade and ransack the village. Other than that, it was mostly little scenes that fit under one theme (Pirates). The Jack Sparrow storyline doesn't really interfere, but adds another layer of complexity to the attraction.

Here's the Jack Sparrow story as I understand it: Jack successfully hides from those looking for him (the pirates torturing the man in the well), then is able to get the map from the man (implied), then finds the treasure (the end in the treasure room). IMHO, its a clean addition to PotC. If it were a random pirate they had added, it wouldn't be a problem, but since its Jack Sparrow (and therefore Johnny Depp) people think its a big deal.

I think the additions to Small World are a bigger deal, but mostly just the absolutely terrible implementation of the America section. The other sections at least fit in with the art style of the ride, but the America scene sticks out like a sore thumb and leaves a bad taste in your mouth.
    I want to be an Imagineer....

^The secret to understanding the "story overlay" is that Jack (always on the hunt for treasures) is escaping from Barbosa (an enemy pirate who has a score to settle with Jack) and nearly every other pirate in the world (he's just a little infamous) He hides amidst the chaos, as the whole town is looking for him... of course, being pirates, they cause a little trouble themselves! But Jack being Jack and always on the hunt for riches, he gets the key to the treasure from that drunken pirate talking to the jail dog, and so while the pirate's antics get the better of them, the city burns, and everyone else is caught and in jail, Jack has sneakily walked away with the treasure.

I agree that it sort of changes the idea of the "dead men tell no tales" aspect and the moral, but the changes are pretty in-character in terms of the movies, as he's the only one who gets away with it. I think it does add just another extra layer, though. I think, though, that the message was conveyed in the original, though. I seem to remember a pirate or two enjoying the treasure at some point in the ride before the refurb... Oh yes, the skeletons. Well, prehaps it'll please the purists to know that Jack is indeed "undead" also... or at least he WAS, for a period of time. The whole "Dead men tell no tales" takes on a whole new meaning!

As for iasw, the additions (i don't think) ruin the integrity of the ride. Everyone had a favorite doll anyway, you can still love the geese or perhaps Ariel. It doesn't matter in the grand scheme of the attraction (i.e. they weren't exactly a chorus of uniformity to begin with; that's why when they all come together at the end with matching white and gold clothing, the unity is more striking) I don't think the message of global unity is at ALL tarnished by the additions, but neither do I think them necessary. I mean, it was well done and a nice gesture, but besides creating more smiles I don't think they do anything to the ride at all, to be honest... except that their theme songs add a god-forsaken break to the endless "While the oceans are wide, and the mountains divide..."
    Last edited by Disneyson 1; 06-04-2010 at 07:58 PM.
    Do do do do do do dodododododo!

-My Electrical Parade Impersonation

• Wilderness Explorer

Quote Originally Posted by noleafclover1980 View Post
    For me personally... it's Pirates. It isn't the fact that they added Jack Sparrow, Barbosa and Davey JOnes in a couple scenes that bother me most... it's the fact that everyone won't shut up about "where is Jack Sparrow?" everywhere. It's like Poochie on The Simpsons. At least on Small World the characters are done in the same style as the rest of the ride, and the song is the same. Seeing a realistic Johnny Depp amongst characatures of pirates is jarring.
    I agree 100%. I thought it was really cool my first time riding it (it was new, new stuff is usually always cool haha), but I hate how the ride is completely about Jack Sparrow now.

Quote Originally Posted by DannyLand View Post
    the potc is mostly exactly the same with very small differences. it's only just 4 new robots. I think they should have added more.

Really? Mermaid was my least favorite addition because of Flounder.
    Every single other movie added was stylized to fit the style of all the other Small World dolls... except flounder. He isn't even slightly stylized... in fact I wouldn't be surprised if they snatched him out of there to use him on the new Mermaid ride.
    Seriously bugs me way more than it should.

Other than that, I think I'm one of the few people who actually enjoy the addition of some Disney characters.
    It's a fun little game of eye spy.

• world class bilge rat

Maybe it's because I haven't been to DL often enough, but I've noticed very few changes to Small World. I enjoy the ride, and go on it several times a day, I just haven't noticed much change.

Pirates, on the other hand, has been pretty much ruined for me. In my opinion, it's supposed to be a fantasy ride, and as such, cannot have reference to real people. The addition of all the Jack Sparrows seems more like an advertisement for Johnny Depp than anything else.

Don't hear the wrong thing here, I think Johnny Depp is one of the best actors that ever lived. But to see a reference to a real person on a fantasy ride completely destroys what little magic there is left.

If the changes to Pirates was some sort of a gimmick created by the advertising department to get me to buy the movie CD or any other merchandise, it completely failed.

Rob

P.S. They really need to say 'dead men tell no tales' once or twice; more than that is annoying.

Here are a few videos of Pirates and Small World if you have never been on the old ones or forgot what they were like. Hope you enjoy.

Pirates before the addition of Captain Jack

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4S1bnZS218"]YouTube - Pirates Ride at Disneyland before Captain Jack Sparrow PT1[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CS0wiAtFqP4&feature=related"]YouTube - Pirates Ride at Disneyland before Captain Jack Sparrow PT 2[/ame]

After the addition of Captain Jack

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sc5Pft0ETpI"]YouTube - PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN IN 1080P HIGH DEFINITION[/ame]

The next videos are of Small World with each segment showing the new and old versions back to back.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYnZXUq2BKo"]YouTube - ITS A SMALL WORLD RIDE NEW AND OLD VERSIONS BACK TO BACK (1/3)[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzegJ6XAtM4"]YouTube - ITS A SMALL WORLD RIDE NEW AND OLD VERSIONS BACK TO BACK (2/3)[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paVXJ_MLtD8"]YouTube - ITS A SMALL WORLD RIDE NEW AND OLD VERSIONS BACK TO BACK (3/3)[/ame]

• We set sail for the sky

Pirates, definitely. I don't ride it nearly as often as I used it, and when I do, it kind of makes me sad. I can't believe that they changed it the way they did. One of the few attractions left with Walt's personal touch (not to mention the last one that he actually worked on), and not only does Disney cash in on it by creating a mediocre film franchise, they then change the classic attraction to include elements from the mediocre film franchise. Inexcusable. Plus, the storyline just doesn't make sense. And why do we have to hear the words "Captain Jack Sparrow" two dozen times during the ride? I keep holding out hope that some day they'll change it back and these changes are just temporary. It's practically ruined for me. Maybe that sounds hyperbolic, but it's true.

The changes to Small World don't bother me in the slightest.

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

Quote Originally Posted by DannyLand View Post

I wouldn't say POTC had very small differences.
    The music was changed.
    The cave (....you've seen the cursed treasure...) spiel was taken out and replaced along w/ a really bad Davy Jones effect.
    The captain of the ship was taken out and new spiel put in.
    The mayor scene had new lines added.
    A new room was added for the last sparrow.
    As you leave the ride, Davy Jones now adds his two cents worth.
    Luckily the didn't add more like the rumor had suggested.

As far as small world goes
    there was no reason to add the "where's waldo" mentality to it.
    The ride is about world being one.
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast