Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

• Is a crazeh cat

Re: What does Paul Pressler think of DCA now?

I really don't see why there is so much hate for DCA. It totally trumps alot of the other theme parks I have been too. Personally I would rather have DCA than a car park! There are some awesome attractions there and there are more to come!

Ice: No disrespect but you seem to have a massive bias view towards Disney Sea, everytime theres a discussion about any Disney Park you always seem to bring up about how much better it is. Now Ive never been there but from what I have seen it looks amazing! But I think its an unfair comparison. We all know that DCA aint the best and cant compare to to Disney Sea.

All in all, DCA is better than nothing and its getting alot better I dont see why people hate it so much, I know its not up to Disney standards as a whole but hey its getting better so lets look at the positives!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by SBS View Post
    Ice: No disrespect but you seem to have a massive bias view towards Disney Sea, everytime theres a discussion about any Disney Park you always seem to bring up about how much better it is. Now Ive never been there but from what I have seen it looks amazing! But I think its an unfair comparison. We all know that DCA aint the best and cant compare to to Disney Sea.
    To me, DisneySea has everything that I want out of a Disney park. The shows are flat out spectacular. The rides are original, unique, and meet their fullest potential. The theming is open ended and extends to all corners of your imagination. Detailing is abundant and elaborate. It has aspects that make it very similar to the original Disneyland yet independent, and not relying on it's counterpart to bring in guests.

And that is why I always compare items to DisneySea. Why? Because, with Disneyland in it's current state, I feel that DisneySea is the most perfect park in the world, in all aspects.

All in all, DCA is better than nothing and its getting alot better I dont see why people hate it so much, I know its not up to Disney standards as a whole.....

• Is a crazeh cat

Like I said it's an unfair comparison, you cant really discuss how much better Disney Sea is when we discuss DCA. We know DCA pales in comparison but you didnt show the rest of my quote. I said that its getting better and I personally think that after this upgrade it will be alot better and alot closer to Disney's standard.

• =)

Thanks for your input in all this, TDASuit. I do disagree with what you said about DCA and Disneyland being equal in their early growth rates. Although the things ICe101 listed are indeed innovations, they're also growth. And if we look at the first 11 years of Disneyland's existence (because I'm including all the DCA projects through 2012 in my own assessments), there was a phenomenal amount of positive change. And if you extend it to 15 years, you get Pirates and HM thrown into the mix, too.

I think that's an interesting comment. Why would the fact that one is significantly better than the other make it an unfair comparison?

• Is a crazeh cat

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    I think that's an interesting comment. Why would the fact that one is significantly better than the other make it an unfair comparison?
    Maybe unfair is the wrong word to use but it's a different experience for different people. The fact is that DCA is still a Disney Park, and alot of people I know who arnt hardcore fans like us love it! From what I have seen its only Disney Park fans who hate the place and many tourists love it.

As to the comparison aspect the OLC put alot of love and care into TDS when DCA has been hated and deemed a failure from the start. I think people need to give the new DCA a chance when its finished before they keep criticising the park. Like I said before I would rather have DCA than a parking lot

• Knows Where His Towel Is

As both a hardcore Disney fan and a roller coaster enthusiast, I find myself going to DCA more than I go to Disneyland. Why? It's simply more exciting. Tower of Terror, Screamin', and Soarin', to me, are far greater draws than what Disneyland has to offer.

And that, I think, is what DCA 1.0 was going for. Excitement over Quality. With DCA, we got rides that were purposely designed to give us adrenaline, whereas a lot of Disneyland's attractions were more about the experience.

That's definitely not a bad thing by any standards. I, as a 17-year-old teen, love it. I actually think Paul Pressler had the right idea: a more grown-up theme park for more grown-up people.

The problem lay in the implementation of that idea.

That's my $.02 cent's worth.

INTERGALACTIC WRITER FOR THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY
    HOOPY FROODS:thinkingofdisney11, DisneyIzz, A113, dmtnt55, MikeSkellington, zephr, Incrediboy, JungleCruiseFan, PerformerInWaiting, MainStreetJake, The Disneylander, littleactressann, DapperJoshua, padgerfan, SS77, DisneyLove, GummiBears_Rock, fangalicious44, animekiti4christ, *disneyprincess*, monorailorange33, Colorized, iskategoofy, stevo505, mandypandy, williamtheking, CaptainEO,Atis, firebolt413, cocoa, WendyInWonderland, ICe101, itsxxdomoxxkun, esquivel

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER!
    ASK ME ANYTHING! :: FORMSPRING.ME
    FOLLOW MY BLOG: <>

• =)

From what I have seen its only Disney Park fans who hate the place and many tourists love it.
    That hasn't been my experience - very few of the "average guests" who I've talked to in the real world think DCA is anything special. That being said, I don't think it's unreasonable for a person who really loves Disneyland to dislike DCA, since the latter so intentionally contradicts many of the things that make the former lovable. Or at least, that used to be true. That gap is closing, but in the beginning, it was a large gap indeed.

EDIT: I agree that a more "grown-up" park would have been a nice complement to Disneyland, The Disneylander. But I disagree with your assessment of DCA as being grown-up in any way. It offers some of the park's greatest adrenaline rushes, yes, but those cater most strongly to people who are at their physical prime - adolescents and young adults. Small children and older adults are less likely to partake. DCA also certainly eschewed overuse of cartoon characters - a trait I have no problem with - but its use of groan-worthy puns and so forth still managed to make it feel rather childish to me.

All that being said, I think it's totally reasonable for someone who's more interested in the adrenaline than the experience to prefer DCA. Of course, if I just wanted adrenaline, I'd probably stick to Six Flags and save some money...
    Last edited by Datameister; 06-06-2010 at 08:42 PM.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Quote Originally Posted by The Disneylander View Post
    As both a hardcore Disney fan and a roller coaster enthusiast, I find myself going to DCA more than I go to Disneyland. Why? It's simply more exciting. Tower of Terror, Screamin', and Soarin', to me, are far greater draws than what Disneyland has to offer.

And that, I think, is what DCA 1.0 was going for. Excitement over Quality. With DCA, we got rides that were purposely designed to give us adrenaline, whereas a lot of Disneyland's attractions were more about the experience.
    Tower of Terror, though, is at least DCA 3.0....after Bug's Land. And it is quite a good hybrid of Disneyland-style experience and thrills. I love Tower of Terror, so much I wish it could be in Disneyland next door

I will say, the concept you think they were going for isn't bad...and Grizzly River Run did manage to be both scenic and exciting: some very lovely landscaping and rockwork there. Screamin', however...it's a good coaster ride, but not at all anything to write home about as far as setting and interestingness of the design.
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by The Disneylander View Post
    That's definitely not a bad thing by any standards. I, as a 17-year-old teen, love it. I actually think Paul Pressler had the right idea: a more grown-up theme park for more grown-up people.
    I do see what you are trying to say, and I respect that however I think your word choice is not correct. 'More grown-up', is not how I would describe DCA as it seems to broad. Instead, I would say something such as 'More teen/young adult centric'. Why, because DCA is meant to be an adrenaline park. And not necessarily all 'grown-ups' appreciate that.

What I imagine as an 'adult centric park' would feature some thrills, such as Tower of Terror, but with an elaborate, detailed story intertwined. A park with spectacular sights, and a romantic aspect to the air. A park where it seems like the Food and Wine Festival last all year long. And that is where our opinions differ on DCA.

• "I Break Things"

Why would the fact that one is significantly better than the other make it an unfair comparison?
    Data isn't that the definition of competition... that if one is significantly better then the other it gives the other a goal to achieve! If anything the comparison of old to new should serve as a benchmark of where one needs to be. Unfortunately Disney seems to be consistently lowering the standards of Disneyland while they attempt to prop up the standards of DCA.

As to Pressler I've only met him a handful of times and that was well over a decade ago. I do not know him personally, and I don't claim to know him well enough to speak for him. That being said, everything I have read about him, every interview he has commented on, would suggest that he doesn't see anything wrong with DCA or his years presiding over Disneyland. The true irony is he went on to drive Gap into the ground, and then refused to accept his role in that debacle as well...
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Banned User

To tell you the truth, the thrills of either park are on par with one another. I never bought that "teen adrenaline" stuff.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

I really don't see why there is so much hate for DCA. It totally trumps alot of the other theme parks I have been too. Personally I would rather have DCA than a car park! There are some awesome
    As it currently stands, I don't at all dislike DCA. Tower of Terror, Grizzly River and the Muppets show are all great for me. But, at most, it's a 3 hour park. I usually don't even last that long.

Compared to Universal's Islands of Adventure though, the theming and ride mix is laughable. At least, to me. IoA is hugely immersive and very good attraction mix, crazy detailed theme everywhere and things to look at. DCA is good, and I can have fun there..but it is by no means "complete" or something I'd pay for on it's own merits. I could spend a whole day in Knott's Ghost Town even, and ride three rides (the train, Calico Mine ride, and the Log Ride), and have more fun than in DCA for longer.
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TDASuit View Post
    I think that if one takes an objective look at the OPENING DAY attraction line up for both Disney/MGM and Disney California Adventure, I think they are very close to being equals.
    The Disney/MGM Studios were trying to add a day to Resort that was already a vacation destination while Disney's California Adventure was trying to establish Disneyland as a vacation destination. Different goals that it was somehow thought could be achieved through the same means.

Disney pushed the Oriental Land Company to go the other direction, because they had to hire Imagineering to build Tokyo DisneySea. Disney wanted Tokyo DisneySea built up so much because the more the park featured, the more the Oriental Land Company had to pay.

Walt Disney Studios cannot entirely be blamed on the late 1990s management culture, but more the late 1980s culture. Its creation was stipulated in the land seizure deals made with the French government. The cash strapped EuroDisney SCA had to put something in the resort because of the decade old mistake that the overbuilt Euro Disney Resort would be a smashing success.

• Banned User

Thanks for your input in all this, TDASuit. I do disagree with what you said about DCA and Disneyland being equal in their early growth rates. Although the things ICe101 listed are indeed innovations, they're also growth. And if we look at the first 11 years of Disneyland's existence (because I'm including all the DCA projects through 2012 in my own assessments), there was a phenomenal amount of positive change. And if you extend it to 15 years, you get Pirates and HM thrown into the mix, too.

I actually think your point is better if you stick to the first 10 years and don't count all of the work that is currently going on.

It also depends on what you would consider an attraction. Both Disneyland (1955 to 1964) and Disney California Adventure (2001 to 2009) have things that I would have a hard time considering attractions. Disneyland would be in the lead after 9 years but Disney California Adventure has a much more robust roster of attractions that it did on opening day.

Maybe the new marketing should be - Disney California Adventure - It's not as bad as you think!

• =)

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    Data isn't that the definition of competition... that if one is significantly better then the other it gives the other a goal to achieve!
    Exactly my point! Comparing DCA to TDS is very appropriate, I think. Similar technology and personnel were available - it would have been possible for Disney to build TDS (or a TDS-quality park) in Anaheim if the right people had decided to do that. But the parks clearly turned out very differently, with most people seeming to prefer TDS, so I think it's an important comparison to make.

Quote Originally Posted by TDASuit View Post
    I actually think your point is better if you stick to the first 10 years and don't count all of the work that is currently going on.
    I definitely can't argue there - I guess I was just assuming that all the current modifications were being included in the discussion. If we're just looking at the first 7 years or so of each park, it seems very evident to me that Disneyland was expanding more. And your point about the word "attraction" is a valid one, as well.

Maybe the new marketing should be - Disney California Adventure - It's not as bad as you think!
    I like it!
    Last edited by Datameister; 06-06-2010 at 09:00 PM.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast