Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Will GRR Stay?

Re: Will GRR Stay?

Another possibility to make this a more worthwhile attraction is to tone down the splash effects. (I know that the waves created from the ride can't be avoided) but maybe each winter after a certain date larger walls can be constructed to block water and the cheap shots on the lift hill and in the geyser area can be turned off. That in addition to placemaking and with the addition of AAs could be enough for the ride to be re-named or at least re-billed as a new attraction similar to how Dueling Dragons or unicorn challenge were changed in WWOHP. Even an indoor queue to set up the story?

Any thoughts on these ideas?
    Armchair Imagineering!:

The Grand Cinema Journey? (Name ideas welcome)

Concept Map! (Thread to follow)
    Grizzly Peak Mining District

• Storyteller

I also love GRR and hope it stays for a long time. If there was a way to tone down splashing in the colder half of the year, it might attract more crowds during those times. When I first rode this after DCA opened, I thought for sure there were going to be AAs, but to my surprise there were none. If they throw in a few AAs, this ride will be amazing.

• Higitus Figitus

love GRR! the only suggestion i have is configuring the ride system somehow to prevent so many breakdowns. I think adding a mining ride or goldrush experience would be great in place of redwood creek trail. that's a large area that, although i love the wilderness feel of it, remains overlooked or ignored because of the e-ticket attractions nearby.
    “If you live to be 100, I hope I live to be 100 minus 1 day, so I never have to live without you.”

• Seeker of Fun

The GRR is truly one of my all time favorite attractions. I think it could be "plussed", in many of the ways mentioned here, AA's, stronger theming, etc. To me, it's a beautiful part of the park. As far as it being a wet ride, I would actually like to see more of a soaking. I've ridden many times without so much as a small splash landing on me. In fairness, I've also been drenched. Over the years I would like to see more theming. I think it's already classic though!

Side note: The Redwood Creek Trail is nice for small kids, my kids enjoy running around it. The only thing is, I think it's too bland. It's a nice area, but I think that space could be utilized better. Personally, I'd like to see another real attraction there. I already live in the mountains....so...just my opinion.
    Stockholder and Walt Disney Autograph holder!!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Just my own experience, I get more wet on Splash Mountain than I have ever did on GRR in the last 9 years combined.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

I think it will stay.
    I think the ride has potential.
    Right now I see it as a glorified lazy river w/ a waterpark (or slide) mentality.

We know it could be better.
    If this company can build Splash Mountain (which isn't perfect--WDW got a better one, minus the drop, in my opinion), we know they can build a ride better than what we got out of GRR.
    Again, I think it's fun.
    But we know it could have been better.
    I do have to say, the area is one of the prettiest areas in the park.
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    Just my own experience, I get more wet on Splash Mountain than I have ever did on GRR in the last 9 years combined.
    then I need to find out where you sit
    b/c every time I ride GRR, I am totally soaked (especially my back side).
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by DLFreak71 View Post

I don't know what it is... I don't have rules or anything but it just... that's what happens to me in my experience.

Even when I went to Florida. The whole group I was with refused to ride Kali River Rapids. I got off dry as a bone (tee hee) but the dude in front of me was completely soaked. But at the start of the ride, he told me that he's always the one that gets soaked. And it was TRUE!

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Seeker of Fun

I try and scream like a little girl during the major rapids...that seems to help.

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

Quote Originally Posted by 4Apples4Disney View Post
    I try and scream like a little girl during the major rapids...that seems to help.
    Don't see that happening.
    Is there another scream I could do that keeps me dry?
    LOL
    Quote by Al:
    -Al Lutz

• A Malice in Wonderland...

Quote Originally Posted by MistaDee View Post
    My question is in the way way off future 2025 2030 will GRR stay?
    The fact that the world is ending 12/21/2012 makes this discussion somewhat moot.
    In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

• Seeker of Fun

Don't see that happening.
    Is there another scream I could do that keeps me dry?
    LOL
    Can't think of another scream, but my wife did make fun of me last winter for bringing raingear just like they wear on Deadliest Catch.

• Christmastime for Rocker

Blog Entries

I agree with everyone about it. GRR gets packed on summer (one time it got up to 110 minutes) despite its problems with operating in cold weather during the winter time.

But in 30 years? I think it will be a staple attraction for DCA, but not the greatest thing ever. I like it personally, but I don't go out of my way to ride it every time I go. Maybe if it is very hot.

I think that GRR and Screamin' are the 2 original "untouchables" in DCA. I hope they never get rid of RCCT either......love the woodsy setting and large pines.

• Artistic integrity

It would be a dream come true for me if GRR would be flattened to smithereens!

Even if they add some new scenery such as AA animals along the trough .... the ride is still hampered by limitations ... since it's currently designed to get a person from moderately .. to heavily wet.

The ride is fine if you come in a bikini or swim trunks .... but who comes to Disney parks dressed like it's 80 degrees 365 days a year?

I'd rather that valuable piece of space be used for a grand "E Ticket" that can be ridden any time of day .. 365 days a year .. no matter what the outside temperatures are ... sunny .. or rainy.
    Last edited by Tomorrowland_1967; 06-08-2010 at 08:25 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast