Page 203 of 663 FirstFirst ... 103153178193200201202203204205206213228253303 ... LastLast
Results 3,031 to 3,045 of 9945

• =)

Re: Disney California Adventure Project Tracker X

Yep. I mean, having lots of great attractions (and geographic/thematic space for more in the future) is of superlative importance, I think. But when it comes to the feel of the exterior spaces, Disneyland has a tighter, more compact approach that allows for better containment of the various areas and a more intimate charm. Now, obviously, having wider walkways is an understandable desire simply because of the insane numbers of people who visit the resort. Avoiding congestion isn't a bad thing. But there are ways to counteract the empty feeling it can lead to.

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    Avoiding congestion isn't a bad thing. But there are ways to counteract the empty feeling it can lead to.
    Exactly. The new back entrance to Bug's Land does this. It takes the large entrance and breaks it up with a little landscaped "planter." It doesn't take much space away and breaks it up visually and "emotionally." Frontierland does this very well between the Golden Horseshoe and Rancho/Big Thunder. The walkway just north of the Matterhorn to the Motor Boat Lagoon area is similar. Breaking up a very wide pathway with some small planters that don't cut down much on your traffic-able area and create shade and a feeling of intimacy.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

As long as they don't try it like they did in Adventureland. Thats an example of how they can do that in a bad way. I will add for the record that making a path seem smaller can also be done by what is alongside and over the path. Overhanging trees and scenery that takes your mind away from the path work together to contain and entertain.

• MC Blogger

Blog Entries

As much as the Adventureland path was cut in half by the changes to the Tree House, I think it makes the land seem more self contained. The piece of land I have a problem with is what they did to the entrance to Pirates.
    Mark

Disney parks and art, movies, music, more... Over 1, 000 Posts!
    www.InsightsandSounds.blogspot.com

• Nope! No grown-ups here!

Quote Originally Posted by MainStreetJake View Post
    I agree with your disagree.
    when I start walking at the beginning of HPB, it looks ok, but as I get closer, the illusion really fades away for me. It's cool, but just not up close like that.
    Ditto. The affect may look 'neat-o', in a campy sort of way, but it doesn't offer the kind of style and realism that will be required in Hollywoodland to make it as classy and immersive as it should be.
    Dead Mice Tell No Tails!

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mark View Post
    As much as the Adventureland path was cut in half by the changes to the Tree House, I think it makes the land seem more self contained. The piece of land I have a problem with is what they did to the entrance to Pirates.
    Trying to make that line work better for Pirates would be a nightmare. I wonder how they could improve on it.

I guess they could create a corridor to the East of the building between the treehouse and the current entrance and run the line through that, but now were talking about a complete remodel of the classic ride entrance. Good thing they would never distort a classic in such a way.

Quote Originally Posted by TrevorD View Post
    Trying to make that line work better for Pirates would be a nightmare. I wonder how they could improve on it.

I guess they could create a corridor to the East of the building between the treehouse and the current entrance and run the line through that, but now were talking about a complete remodel of the classic ride entrance. Good thing they would never distort a classic in such a way.
    They can't do that because of the Indy queue and the elevator up to the Dream Suite.

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Over the Indy Queue and around the elevator?

Basically what this proves is they have nowhere to go with this.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by MainStreetJake View Post
    I agree with your disagree.
    when I start walking at the beginning of HPB, it looks ok, but as I get closer, the illusion really fades away for me. It's cool, but just not up close like that.
    The problem that I have with the effect is that the Hyperion Theater facade looks wrong. There's this big imposing "entrance" facade with no building behind it (on the right). I probably wouldn't be as concerned if they had created an actual theater building facade to support that entrance.

Personally, I've always liked the openness of DCA. Don't get me wrong, I love the confined and quaintness of Disneyland, but when it's busy it makes me feel claustrophobic.

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ryno1986 View Post
    Personally, I've always liked the openness of DCA. Don't get me wrong, I love the confined and quaintness of Disneyland, but when it's busy it makes me feel claustrophobic.
    All the openness ruins any sense of immersion.

• We Go On.

DCA will also look better when it ages a little more, letting the trees grow in. That will take care of problems like sun, backstage buildings, and the city around the park.

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by WDITrent View Post
    DCA will also look better when it ages a little more, letting the trees grow in. That will take care of problems like sun, backstage buildings, and the city around the park.
    Gotta have trees that do that though. They planted palms around most of the park. They don't really "fill out" all that much. They need trees like they put between PPk and TLM:AUA around the park perimeter. Or like the trees on the N and NW sides of Critter Country.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• We Go On.

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    Gotta have trees that do that though. They planted palms around most of the park. They don't really "fill out" all that much. They need trees like they put between PPk and TLM:AUA around the park perimeter. Or like the trees on the N and NW sides of Critter Country.
    Here's what I mean (from today's In the Parks):

Those trees will grow in and block a fair amount of the building. It's a shame that the stairs don't seem to be leaving our sight, however.

All right. I guess they won't make that much of a difference. What DCA really needs is the NoS treatment. Facades behind facades, layer upon layer, making it seem like it really is in the middle of the Crescent City.

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by WDITrent View Post
    All right. I guess they won't make that much of a difference. What DCA really needs is the NoS treatment. Facades behind facades, layer upon layer, making it seem like it really is in the middle of the Crescent City.
    True, those trees there will do a good job in a number of years when they have filled in. They need to plant a couple rows of trees around the whole park like that. It's worked for Disneyland. Pictures of it in the first years of operation look so funny, and it's because of the lack of fully grown foliage. It looks all sparse and empty. Kinda funny.

And I agree... layers of facades would do wonders as well for the illusion that it's not just a facade. Like the simple addition of a mast and sails over the roof line of NOS.