Page 214 of 663 FirstFirst ... 114164189204211212213214215216217224239264314 ... LastLast
Results 3,196 to 3,210 of 9945

Re: Disney California Adventure Project Tracker X

Quote Originally Posted by Garthilk View Post

You know,

I get why they would not theme the back, I get it. I understand the money aspect. However, I'd love to know what retard made the final decision not to do it the right way.
    Omg that looks just... awful.
    I mean... really really... bad.
    We haven't been to WDW since this was finished and had no idea of just how... absolutely yucky that looks. Wow.

• Nope! No grown-ups here!

The difference between DCA and TDS is that DCA was built wrong in the first place and they are trying to fix it the best that they can within the confines of the original design, whereas TDS was built right from the first place, so they didn't have to worry about such constraints.

I'm definitely no apologist for the way DCA was originally constructed, but I'd like to give those responsible for the new upgrades just a little slack, considering the above facts. I don't delude myself into thinking any of the upgrades will be perfect, but I think they will definitely be appreciable improvements to the park.
    Dead Mice Tell No Tails!

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by BiggestDisneyFan View Post
    [...]trying to fix it the best that they can within the confines of the original design[...]
    I don't think people realize just how difficult and expensive this is.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Pilot EdForceOne

First reaction: Ewwww!!!

Then again, there is almost nothing blocking the back of Expedition Everest, whereas only the top of the RS rockwork will be unobscured and visible. If they, at least, theme the top of the RS rockwork as well as they did the top of the Expedition Everest rockwork, then I think things will be OK. If it's a matter of resources and/or budget, it would obviously take a lot less of both to dress up the top ten feet of the RS rockwork than it would have to dress up the entire back of Expedition Everest.

God, I hope I'm right.
    The back of everest isn't viewable from anywhere in the park, and is only viewable from the parking lot at the extreme end of it. It's more viewable from the top of the slides in Blizzard Beach then it is anywhere on DAK's guest areas.

Photos you see of Everest are ones TRYING to show the back of the mountain - not what you normally see.

Everest was originally just bare wall.. later they've painted it to make it look like there are in-wall huts/etc to break up the plain look.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyManiac View Post
    Just a random idea for BVS: What if they had random couples out each day dressed in 1920s Los Angeles attire. They could have different couples out each day, with different outfits. One could be practicing their lines for a movie or reading a newspaper. I really think DCA needs something like this because it would really add to the realism. What do you think?
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmay View Post
    Disney Hollywood Studios in Florida has something similar: Streetmosphere: Citizens of Hollywood
    I've never seen them personally, but it sounds like a great idea, much more conducive to the feel the Studios should have rather than the obnoxious ubiquitousness of High School Musical I noticed the last time I was there.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalFan View Post
    Well those to me are more entertainment groups. Streetmosphere, at least in my definition, is more like, for example, the characters they once had telling stories in front of ToT. Not Disney characters but characters that set a mood and tone. Characters who are more hidden...not creating a huge deal like a singing or entertainment group does, just something small and that adds to the experience. British colonial archeologist and explorers in Adventureland, a wanna be starlet in Hollywoodland...those kind of things. I never said DL didn't have some type of streetmosphere. Someone brought it up wanting it in DCA as it is WAY lacking and I totally agree however along with bringing it in DCA I feel they should also have some more in DL
    Oh ya - the "Streetmosphere" characters are MUCH different than just a show or musical performance... They actually BLEND in and you hardly notice them unless you are paying attention and then realize that they are "themed" appropriately to their location.

One of our most WONDERFUL "encounters" was in DHS/MGM at the little bar connected to the 50's Prime Time Cafe...
    We were sitting, having a wonderful drink, just soaking up the "fifties" ambiance... I don't know how long it was before we noticed a "heated" conversation coming from a couple of guys seated at the bar itself.
    They were discussing something that was "work" related and how they were supposed to get back but their boss wouldn't miss them or something like that... (Almost akin to a Ralph Cramden/Honeymooners scenario!)
    We were sucked into their conversation so gradually and subtly that it took a little bit before we even realized that their clothing (dusty work attire) and demeanors (sarcasm and humor) was completely out of place amongst all the shorts-clad vacationing tourists.
    "Eavesdropping" on their hilarious conversation was totally wonderful and it was just the most awesome surprise to discover that there were "hidden" characters and you never knew where to find them! We LOVED it and wished we could have just sat there for a long time interracting and listening to those two funny joksters who were TOTALLY "playing" their parts!!
    We have kept our eye out each and every time in subsequent visits and besides quickly coming across the famous gossip columnist gals walking down the street, we never found any others. A sad sad thing because the experience was sooooooo "magical"!!

• Bring Your Own Redemption

Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.

~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by 與W View Post
    That looks pretty cool and believable. Considering most folks won't be studying it very close it works pretty well.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicBear View Post
    That looks pretty cool and believable. Considering most folks won't be studying it very close it works pretty well.
    Now here's my question...the back side of the RSR rockwork is MUCH closer to the guests than EE's. So how much more themeing are we going to see? And what do you think it will be, specifically?

Quote Originally Posted by 與W View Post
    That is a great solution!

The RSR issue is definitely different at the back of those mountains are clearly visible in the park. I think they will come up with some interesting solution. We won't see it for some time as they will likely keep the superstructure opne from the backside until all the rock work is done in case there is an issue that woudl require access.
    The Mur

...I'm definitely no apologist for the way DCA was originally constructed, but I'd like to give those responsible for the new upgrades just a little slack, considering the above facts. I don't delude myself into thinking any of the upgrades will be perfect, but I think they will definitely be appreciable improvements to the park.
    I am all for waiting and seeing what the final result is before making a judgment. I don't think we really know what they are planning for the the Ariel's Grotto/Screaming end of Paradise Pier and that might partially effect what they are doing with the back of the mountains as well.

• We set sail for the sky

I wish they had the funding to enclose the parade building in rockwork, extend the rockwork all the way behind Screamin' to block out the Convention Center, and make it all look like seaside cliffs.

I understand why at the moment they would not spend the money on rockwork for the backside of Carsland. Supposedly the budget for Carsland has risem quite a bit due to all the upgrade for RSR which according to some has already surpassed the 300million just for that ride alone
    Last edited by Baloo; 08-25-2010 at 09:33 PM.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    I understand why at the moment they would not spend the money on rockwork for the backside of Carsland. Supposedly the budget for Carsland has reason quiet a bit due to all the upgrade for RSR which according to some has already surpassed the 300million just for that ride alone
    I understand budgets, and ways to put X-amount of money for whatever projects, but the way I see it, if they can buy Marvel outright for 4 billion, then they can go over the 1 billion budget for DCA. If I was in charge of the money, I'd want to put as much as possible into something like DCA in order to make sure that the park would be as top notch as possible. Plus, if there was more money, then we'd get to get new attractions where Mulholland Madness is, a definitive, confirmed redesign of Condor Flats, and HPB. And that's just to name a few.

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by MainStreetJake View Post
    I understand budgets, and ways to put X-amount of money for whatever projects, but the way I see it, if they can buy Marvel outright for 4 billion, then they can go over the 1 billion budget for DCA.
    The Marvel purchase is from a different unit of the Disney Company. Disney is not just theme parks. They are a merchandising company, retail, movie, tv, publishing, theme park, travel company. Each of these elements has their own budgets. Disney made about 30 billion last year. 1/30th of ALL the money that the entire company made is going into DCA. That is a HUGE amount of money. Especially since that 30 billion has to be divided up among the movie studios, tv shows, etc, etc, etc, and payroll. Mergers and acquisitions are often done through stocks and other such methods. Rarely are they done in cash purchases. The DCA work is straight cash. So the $1 billion + expansion is an unheard of amount of money to be poured into an operating park all at once.

If you were in control of the money, you'd see just how difficult it is to allocate limited resources across a vast company. Vast as in the 2nd largest entertainment company in the world (behind on Time Warner).

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by MainStreetJake View Post
    I understand budgets, and ways to put X-amount of money for whatever projects, but the way I see it, if they can buy Marvel outright for 4 billion, then they can go over the 1 billion budget for DCA
    The reason they can pay 4 billion for marvel is they expect it to pay out BILLIONS in the coming years. ROI

How long do you think it will take DCA to make back the money spent on this reboot?

You're comparing apples and oranges and not acting like it's your money.. just as if it were free.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged