Page 406 of 663 FirstFirst ... 306356381396403404405406407408409416431456506 ... LastLast
Results 6,076 to 6,090 of 9945

Re: Disney California Adventure Project Tracker X

Admittedly, I never looked very close, but I didn't realize the support of the Sun came out of the trees like it did. I guess it wouldn't have been as effective to have a simple vertical support - it would have been too noticeable.

Anyhow, it's too bad the support they DO have wasn't movable such that the Sun could "rise" and "set".

• Banned User

Where in the world are you guys getting this info that the stainglass has been cut from the AUA facade?? It's still happening. It on the main concepts they've released. It's not gonna be Ariel but more abstract waves which I think is better. The stainglass is still happening. Don't know where that rumor came from.

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by FutureImagineer183 View Post
    Where in the world are you guys getting this info that the stainglass has been cut from the AUA facade?? It's still happening. It on the main concepts they've released. It's not gonna be Ariel but more abstract waves which I think is better. The stainglass is still happening. Don't know where that rumor came from.
    In that case, then the conversation transitions to why isn't Ariel happening lol. Thanks for the info. I actually wasn't aware that it was still going to be that way.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Armchair Imagineer-er.

Is the oom mow wow building staying and being re-themed basically?

to me it looks as if they are just trimming the roof...
    Last edited by Monorailorange33; 10-24-2010 at 11:05 PM. Reason: blehh..
    @Monorailorange

• =)

Concept art shows the same basic shape of the building, so I'm guessing yes...but of course, we can never be sure until it's actually built.

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Wait!!!! What!?!?!?!

They now cut the facade version without the stained glass? Not only can they not make up their minds, but they also are cutting cut quality. Bad show, too much skimping, Phase 1, 2, 3 and 6 are all failures.

[/sarcasm]

• Parmageddon Jim

Well, that's why they added phases 4 and 5.
    So full of Disney Magic, my eyes are blue.

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

I heard phase 20 is where its gonna be at once they've finished cutting stained windows from each phase Phase 20 - The land of no stained glass!

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

• Lion

Quote Originally Posted by theeighthpassenger View Post
    So you think when they developed The Wizarding World of Harry Potter, they drew up one design and without any consideration just built the first thing that came up without any alternate ideas? Right.
    I guess this is slightly tangental to this thread, but it's on point with the current line of discussion, so here are a few comments with regard to Harry Potter @ Uni Orlando.

There's one new attraction there. Two other attractions are minimal re-themes of existing attractions, one of which is a small family coaster.

The land is small. Smaller than Carsland, in fact, especially if you take into account that much of the land already existed and was simply rethemed, including the roller coasters and a restaurant.

There were many big complaints that the show building of the Forbidden Journey attraction is in plain view from inside the land. From certain angles within the land itself, you can see that Hogwarts castle is simply perched on top of a big building.

The queue of Forbidden Journey was touted as being a grand tour of Hogwarts, when it reality it turned out to be somewhat smaller and more cramped than people expected. Rumored elements like the moving staircase room and the main hall never materialized, and other rooms were much smaller than their film counterparts.

I give Universal a lot of credit for going above and beyond with a ride system that's never been tried before on that kind of scale. They used some interesting and immersive technologies for the Forbidden Journey attraction. However, let's not make Wizarding World out to be more than it is. It's a single attraction, and a nicely themed Hogsmeade village. There were many areas where "fans" felt things were skimped on, cut back on, or omitted altogether, and while many are totally satisfied with the land, I've seen many people who had visions of them doing so much more than they actually did. Sounds similiar to a lot of the things I've read in this thread.

It's in our nature to want more, especially when we see blue-sky concepts that rarely take budget into account. That's partly Disney's fault for giving us so much to look at and speculate about at such an early stage in development. This, however, isn't a new thing, and Disney (or any theme park) having to cut back their blue-sky ideas when it comes time to budget has been common practice since Disneyland was built in 1955. The difference now is that information flows much quicker and people discuss things thanks to the internet, so our expectations get inflated to unrealistic levels.

So to get back to my point: Just because something you saw in a piece of concept art doesn't show up, it doesn't always mean that it's because they skimped or cut back. What it means is that they shot as high as they could, were told how much budget they'd get, and then decided how to best use the money available. Sometimes they (the Imagineers) shoot higher on purpose as a form of bargaining tactic. If they really want $500M for a project, they'll sketch up some early designs that might require $700-$800, knowing they won't get that much. But that's better than saying "we need $500" and only getting $300.

Anyway, my perspective is that we're getting a whole lot of new stuff in the next few years, and I'm going to appreciate it for what it is, rather than look at what it could be. No matter how great something is in nearly every aspect of life, it's pretty easy to envision how it could be better. If you do that too often, however, you're going to be a very sad and disappointed person.

Quote Originally Posted by simba View Post
    I guess this is slightly tangental to this thread, but it's on point with the current line of discussion, so here are a few comments with regard to Harry Potter @ Uni Orlando.

There's one new attraction there. Two other attractions are minimal re-themes of existing attractions, one of which is a small family coaster.

The land is small. Smaller than Carsland, in fact, especially if you take into account that much of the land already existed and was simply rethemed, including the roller coasters and a restaurant.

There were many big complaints that the show building of the Forbidden Journey attraction is in plain view from inside the land. From certain angles within the land itself, you can see that Hogwarts castle is simply perched on top of a big building.

The queue of Forbidden Journey was touted as being a grand tour of Hogwarts, when it reality it turned out to be somewhat smaller and more cramped than people expected. Rumored elements like the moving staircase room and the main hall never materialized, and other rooms were much smaller than their film counterparts.

I give Universal a lot of credit for going above and beyond with a ride system that's never been tried before on that kind of scale. They used some interesting and immersive technologies for the Forbidden Journey attraction. However, let's not make Wizarding World out to be more than it is. It's a single attraction, and a nicely themed Hogsmeade village. There were many areas where "fans" felt things were skimped on, cut back on, or omitted altogether, and while many are totally satisfied with the land, I've seen many people who had visions of them doing so much more than they actually did. Sounds similiar to a lot of the things I've read in this thread.

It's in our nature to want more, especially when we see blue-sky concepts that rarely take budget into account. That's partly Disney's fault for giving us so much to look at and speculate about at such an early stage in development. This, however, isn't a new thing, and Disney (or any theme park) having to cut back their blue-sky ideas when it comes time to budget has been common practice since Disneyland was built in 1955. The difference now is that information flows much quicker and people discuss things thanks to the internet, so our expectations get inflated to unrealistic levels.

So to get back to my point: Just because something you saw in a piece of concept art doesn't show up, it doesn't always mean that it's because they skimped or cut back. What it means is that they shot as high as they could, were told how much budget they'd get, and then decided how to best use the money available. Sometimes they (the Imagineers) shoot higher on purpose as a form of bargaining tactic. If they really want $500M for a project, they'll sketch up some early designs that might require $700-$800, knowing they won't get that much. But that's better than saying "we need $500" and only getting $300.

Anyway, my perspective is that we're getting a whole lot of new stuff in the next few years, and I'm going to appreciate it for what it is, rather than look at what it could be. No matter how great something is in nearly every aspect of life, it's pretty easy to envision how it could be better. If you do that too often, however, you're going to be a very sad and disappointed person.
    Hear, Hear!!
    Matthew

Quote Originally Posted by simba View Post
    It's in our nature to want more, especially when we see blue-sky concepts that rarely take budget into account. That's partly Disney's fault for giving us so much to look at and speculate about at such an early stage in development.
    What's interesting is that Uni didn't release much, if any info on WWOHP and that's what really fueled the rumors. I remember reading up until about a week before some of the cast previews or invites that many people believed the queue would go through the castle courtyard on top of the building! Many tried in vain to put that rumor to rest, it just wouldn't die.

I think Disney's BSC at least keeps some of the Disney fans grounded with expectations. I like to have some idea on what's on the way as it leads to realistic anticipation. WWOHP is very popular but the crazy rumors it spawned must have disappointed some.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by FutureImagineer183 View Post
    Thanks for the info futureimagineer! Any word on if the Walt n mickey statue is still planned for buena vista st?

• I'm not really here

Well said simba!

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Still lost in Neverland

I think the idea of a Dark Ride inside the Carthay Circle Theater is a great idea. It doesn't, and could not, cover all the different elements that are in the game, but it does fit the time period perfectly if they just make a ride that tells the story of Oswald and Mickey (Who looks exactly like he did in those early black and white cartoons). In fact, if done properly, it could be the first Dark Ride to be done totally in Black and White.

If they wanted to look into the "Future" at the end of the ride, then the last scene could be Mickey in full color from his first movie in color, Fantasia, as the Sorcerers Apprentice. I think the entire idea not only fits the theme and time period, it would something really fun for that Theater instead of building this great Icon for Buena Vista Street and leave it sit empty for years.
    Last edited by Lost Boy; 10-25-2010 at 12:50 PM.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

How about if a large screen in the queueing area of this black and white dark ride was projecting a live strobe-effect movie of the activity in the circle plaza outside the theatre?

How about if a cartoon of the people in your 'car' became part of the show in one of the later rooms?

What if you could then provide your email address after the ride and keep the cartoon?

This is fun! What else ya got?