Page 409 of 663 FirstFirst ... 309359384399406407408409410411412419434459509 ... LastLast
Results 6,121 to 6,135 of 9945

• Hooked on Disney

Re: Disney California Adventure Project Tracker X

Quote Originally Posted by Imag1neer View Post
    I wouldn't go so far as to say World of Color is a disaster compared to what it could have been. Its a beautiful show, its been a huge success and definately holds its own against Fantasmic. With that said, I agree some of the transitions are choppy and I personally would also like to see them ironed out better.
    Just a note: On our recent trip, I could not get my kids to watch WOC a second time but they were excited to see Fantasmic again even though they have seen it dozens of times. My only explaination may be that we were too close (right on the water) and they saw it too much as individual elements and not as a "show".

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Boy View Post
    Then you must not have seen all the previews and talks about WOC by Steve Davidson and not seen the transitions that were in place before Bob Iger stuck his big nose in and shortened the show, changed the music and just ruined all the built in flow and beauty of the show.
    Actually, I did. Followed the development of this incredibly closely. Actually had the YouTube video of Steve going through the whole show on my iPod and watched it many times trying to soak up and absorb as much as possible. Watched D23 videos of him and others talking about it. Watched more or less every interview/behind the scenes video/interview/article there was because of how excited for this one I was. And I'm curious just how much you think has been cut or altered, because the show seems pretty similar to what Steve walked us through. He went into some pretty intimate detail in some of his talks about it and those things are all in the show. Very little really got cut or changed.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by soccermouse View Post
    Just a note: On our recent trip, I could not get my kids to watch WOC a second time but they were excited to see Fantasmic again even though they have seen it dozens of times. My only explaination may be that we were too close (right on the water) and they saw it too much as individual elements and not as a "show".
    Thats your kids opinion,which is fine. However I just went to the parks with my girlfriend who has never been to Disney, and she preferred WOC over Fantasmic. So each person has their own opinion and preference. All I am saying is that WOC is a quality show that holds its own against Fantasmic, ive heard people prefer Fantasmic, Ive heard people prefer WOC. But in no way is Fantasmic so amazing that everyone prefers it over WOC, thats simply not the case. I have witnessed many people who prefer WOC over F!.
    Last edited by BuenaVista28; 10-26-2010 at 11:38 AM.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    Actually, I did. Followed the development of this incredibly closely. Actually had the YouTube video of Steve going through the whole show on my iPod and watched it many times trying to soak up and absorb as much as possible. Watched D23 videos of him and others talking about it. Watched more or less every interview/behind the scenes video/interview/article there was because of how excited for this one I was. And I'm curious just how much you think has been cut or altered, because the show seems pretty similar to what Steve walked us through. He went into some pretty intimate detail in some of his talks about it and those things are all in the show. Very little really got cut or changed.
    I just wish that Alice was still after the bugs/rain segment, I think it would have been very cool how the old mill starts to spin and the swirls of color were gonna make the rabbit hole into wonderland. Its ok going into pirates now, but I think the rabbit hole would have been cooler.

• Still lost in Neverland

By the simple fact of removing the Alice sequence and not having enough time to make new transitions, they moved stuff around. So now it's a disjointed series of unrelated scenes instead of flowing smoothly from one topic to the next. Take a look at the Fire-bird to Pocahontas transition as it is the way all the transitions should be, smooth and beautiful. It was supposed to have all the same themes in sections and that is no longer true. I can only go by what I have seen myself and I saw the show from each row dead center. It is an amazing show but it could have been so much longer. Just by removing one scene the transitions were mismatched. Some do flow correctly but others the scenes just go dark and then come up with something new that makes no sense. The transitions were supposed to have made the change of themes flow better. Now most are choppy or non-existent. All I am saying is they should have just left it alone and it would have been a great show not just a good show.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

• Dream in wonderful color!

The show is already quite long at 27 minutes.. And almost every transition in the show is true to the original concept shown in Steve's presentations.

I think people have the wrong impression about Iger coming in and changing everything about the show. Not every change in the show was mandated by Iger. Steve and the creative team also modified many things in the show once they started testing.

The Chernabog tower, for example - Steve Davison explained that it was taken out because it didn't look the way they intended it to. And somewhere I read that this was supposedly one of Iger's changes because he thought the show was too satanic
    - Adventure Is Waiting -

"We're going to take you out of this world of reality for a visit to the most fantastic of all the worlds of fantasy." - Walt Disney

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Boy View Post
    Then you must not have seen all the previews and talks about WOC by Steve Davidson and not seen the transitions that were in place before Bob Iger stuck his big nose in and shortened the show, changed the music and just ruined all the built in flow and beauty of the show. There are only a couple of transition scenes that survived the butcher's knife. This has been talked about since the show debuted by Al and everyone who had been paying attention. Sorry but the show as it is now is a disaster compared to what it could have been. And all to shorten a show from 30 minutes to 26 minutes. WHY? He ruined a beautiful show for the sake of 4 minutes shorter show. Makes no sense.
    I say again: They are the professionals. They know what they are doing.

With such a large corporation, there needs to be a good amount of give and take with things. Bob is the man at the top, and bob can voice his opinions on anything, since he's the one up top. guys below him can talk to him, and reason with him, and come to a reasonable conclusion that works for everyone.

I've seen many things that has gone on before this show opened and debuted. Much like Mycroft, I've followed the interviews, the construction, and fruition of this colorful beast.
    The show may have some loose transitions, but how about thinking of this:
    the show is incredibly versatile, and with some minor testing of new elements here and there, and wha-la, you have a new segment/transition in the show within a week or so. Just because you may/may not like what is there now, doesn't mean it will or will not stay there in the future.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by nonob88 View Post
    And somewhere I read that this was supposedly one of Iger's changes because he thought the show was too satanic
    Gotta partially agree with this one...it is a bit edgy to see frollo's face change into flames like that.
    Personally, I think it's a cool element to the color of anger/villains, but for some of the younger crowds, I can see why it'd be intimidating and scary.

• I'm not really here

Not a single one of us has ever seen the show "as explained." Only the people who worked on it get to see it that way. Iger did not make all the changes that were made or mandate them even. He made some sure, but Steve himself shuffled things around and made changes as they tested and realized that their ideas just didn't translate to the real world as well as they had hoped, or something just plain didn't work.

It's fine if you don't like it and wish it could be the way it was, but realize, please, that the very creators of the show made some of the decisions you dislike. And this is part of the danger of knowing as much as we do these days before the show comes out. We have to ask ourselves very seriously if we would feel upset about this or that change/cut if we didn't know that anything had been cut or changed. Would we be pissed about MFW if we never knew a boardwalk was considered as part of it? Probably not. Would we be upset about WoC transitions if we had not heard the original creative intent? Probably not.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

You mean the things I implied and the rumours I heard matched with piecewise footage taken from a 6th story hotel room cannot be used as a definitive understanding of what could have been?

• Still lost in Neverland

I also saw those home made videos shot from the hotel and didn't pay much attention to them. I am only going by what I saw in Davidson's presentations and what ended up in the final version. I read the bit about Iger right here on Mice Chat. It doesn't matter who made the changes, but whoever did it was sloppy. I saw the previews and then the final show. They are two different shows. I am not saying that WOC is terrible. I am just saying it has trouble with transitions. I could have been so much better. But I will continue to see the show and I do love it, flawed or not. It's just my opinion, that's all. You have yours, I have mine.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

• Banned User

Ok so Tron is coming to WoC much sooner than anticipated! Keep your eyes peeled!

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

I don't know. I personally think that things like this get built up so much from the presentations and fallout conversation that nothing possible would ever be able to match the expectations. Steve's breakdowns always sound amazing and flawless, but that doesn't mean that the transitions we never saw were any more amazing than what was once programmed. Envisioned... maybe, but visions aren't always copyable to media.

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    You mean the things I implied and the rumours I heard matched with piecewise footage taken from a 6th story hotel room cannot be used as a definitive understanding of what could have been?
    Precisely... because at that point it wasn't even definitive. It was them playing and molding and sculpting. Like a piece of clay. They knew what they wanted and as they tried it out on the very real world setup, it sometimes simply did not work. And rather than sacrifice the quality of something just to have it in there to satisfy us rabid fans who saw it from the 6th story of a hotel and synced it with clips of audio, they decided to go with what they felt was best for the overall show. Call me crazy, but that is their prerogative.

So we have two options:
    1) Show that is different from original conceptualizations and may not have perfect flow in a couple places but overall is better.
    2) Show that is identical to conceptualizations and has good flow, but suffers from distinct lack of quality of show.

It is a lose/lose situation and so they pick the one that satisfies the largest number of people and keeps the overall quality of the show pieces maximized.

Films do this too. But since you have never seen the film in it's first cut, you have no way of knowing what could have been and therefore can't compare and complain about this or that cut. Then the DVD comes out and the "deleted scenes" are shown and suddenly you wonder why this or that scene was cut. And seeing those you can go back and watch the film and see where cuts and edits happened and how sometimes those don't flow as well knowing what could have been.

Knowledge is a dangerous thing.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by FutureImagineer183 View Post
    Ok so Tron is coming to WoC much sooner than anticipated! Keep your eyes peeled!
    Thats awesome news!!
    so will it be part of WOC or tagged at the end as an encore?