Page 447 of 663 FirstFirst ... 347397422437444445446447448449450457472497547 ... LastLast
Results 6,691 to 6,705 of 9945

• is too darn hot.

Re: Disney California Adventure Project Tracker X

This just in: Neil Patrick Harris all but confirms he's the new voice of California Screamin':

Quote Originally Posted by @ActuallyNPH
    Has anyone been on the California Screamin' roller coaster at Disney's California Adventure lately? I hear it's better than ever...
    Source
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    The whole mythical Phase 2 thing is the company again hedging bets and being timid instead of pushing forward knowing what must be done. Phase 1 vs 2 isn't just construction/execution time tables - it truely is being described as conditional. As if we didn't need a big enough reminder of how 'business first' they are.

DCA v2 does not represent a Renaissance of DLR at all.. its just business as usual but a bunch of stuff lumped together to make it appear like a fundamental shift of 'rebirth'.
    Mostly a lurker here, but I wanted to point out that "business first" is not mutually exclusive from putting on a quality "show" or creating a place that we Disneyland fanatics like to visit. What we as guests/consumers might perceive as Disney putting "business first" is actually short-term thinking from a business perspective. For example, the original California Adventure as it opened in 2001 cost less than Animal Kingdom and certainly less than Tokyo DisneySea because Eisner, and others, were focused on the short term, basically thinking what is the minimum amount of money we can spend to open a park that we know people will visit because it is next door to Disneyland. However, after a very short burst of activity, it was widely viewed as being inferior to Disneyland even though it was the same price (at least on a one-park, one-day ticket basis). Thus it underperformed from a business perspective (didn't maximize profits for the shareholders) and arguably, damaged the "Disneyland Resort" brand.

By recognizing that they needed a park that people would return to again and again, and that they needed to protect and keep investing to maintain the "Disneyland Resort" brand, Disney is actually now putting business first, because they are thinking in the long term, how can we increase consumption of our product for many years to come (maximizing profits for the shareholders). At the same time, from a creative/guest/consumer perspective, I think it is fair to say that it is a renaissance time for the Disneyland Resort. I've been to California Adventure less than a handful of times, but returned in August, and I think they are on their way to making it a place people would want to return to again and again, and not just because they happened to be visiting Disneyland.

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    Do you really think Nemo subs came in under initial budget?
    Wow... no, I don't... and no my memory is not perfect. I do forget things from time to time

I certainly don't proclaim to know everything. That's why I'm here. I love hearing new things and learning about the processes that I don't know everything about. I put out my opinions and thoughts and feelings and what I can learn on my own. If something is wrong and someone corrects me, I accept that and move on, having learned something more. So thank you for the information guys. The process at Disney is very different from what I have encountered at other companies over the years.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but the hinges on the back of the WoC projector "lighthouses" look pretty awful.
    *A Republic... If you can keep it*

• LOL!!!!!!! (MC teen joke)

Yeah, they've looked pretty bad since BEFORE World of Color premiered. I remember seeing them broken like back in May. Shame.
    The Original Teen Scene of MiceChat:
    fangalicious44 padgerfan monorailorange33 SS77 A113 animekiti4christ DapperJoshua Performerinwaiting MainStreetJake dmtnt55 MikeSkellington
    JungleCruiseFan Ckelef1 Incrediboy The Disneylander GummiBearsRock iskategoofy *disneyprincess* stevo505 Dragonfire Colorized DisneyLove littleactressann Kritter

Quote Originally Posted by BassBone View Post
    This just in: Neil Patrick Harris all but confirms he's the new voice of California Screamin':

Source
    Just heard it in person, and it's definitely him. It's an improvement on the previous voice, but not as "in character" as the voice on MFW.

Question about Paradise Bay: is it me, or is the water level just about 4-5 inches lower than it should be?

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Maybe that is due to the filtering?

• film975

Neil Patrick Harris has been doing a lot of voice work lately. He was the voice of Night Wing in "Batman: Under the Red Hood." Sorry to mention a non Disney thing here. But coincidentally speaking, John DiMaggio does the voice of the Joker in that animated film (which was brilliant casting by the way). He was also the voice of Dr. Drakken in Disney's Kim Possible.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by redmars View Post
    Mostly a lurker here, but I wanted to point out that "business first" is not mutually exclusive from putting on a quality "show" or creating a place that we Disneyland fanatics like to visit
    No - it means just what it says 'business first' - meaning when compromise is needed, who gets priority?

Quote Originally Posted by redmars View Post
    What we as guests/consumers might perceive as Disney putting "business first" is actually short-term thinking from a business perspective
    So your postulation is instead of business first, it's actually short-sighted business first thinking? I really don't see how that is anything but worse. Penny wise, pound foolish comes to mind...

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    Wow... no, I don't... and no my memory is not perfect. I do forget things from time to time

I certainly don't proclaim to know everything. That's why I'm here
    Nor do I - but as much as I try to be level headed - its very clear many of these aspects are purely within control of the company. Budget dollars are simply plans within the company - they have more and can get more if they so chose to. To call some announced budget the limit is to call the company's motivation the limit. That is no different from any other company - the difference is simply the depth of the company's assets or ingenunity to raise more funding if necessary.

In 1954, Walt hit his limit of assets, so he turned to ingenuity to find more funding (sponsors). When he didn't need it anymore, he bought them out. When the dollars would stretch no further, when the dollars did come in, he turned back to improve what he could not do initially.

TWDC doesn't really have such limitations when it comes to simple shop fascades - their limit is their own imposed limits of investment vs return because they are not confident enough in the success and return to justify to their internal thinking that this investment is worth it now. Business first.

The reason 'Phase 2' isn't committed is because again, the question of need vs return. If it were simply a matter of scheduling/capacity - then greenlight it and invest what it would take to make it happen. Business first.

Yes it's hard to be a vanguard in today's business market, and dealing with investors, etc. But it's that vanguard thinking that made Disney - not milking existing properties with only the necessary tweaks to keep the milk flowing.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    That can't happen now. At least, not the way it was planned. If you look at photos of the model from the Blue Sky Cellar (I think), you'll see that it would have extended out to where the WOC projection housings are now. It's certainly possible that we'll see that queue renovated in some way eventually - which I think would be great! - but we can be sure it won't be like it was in the model. There's just not enough room.
    It can happen still, but the execution would require to drain the bay, dig pits for the lights/lasers/projections, and have "doors" on the areas above the pits, open the "doors", have the lights and lasers rise up for the performances, as that wrap around boardwalk would be closed during the show.

It's a good idea, but as of now, or if ever, will it happen? Severely doubtful.

• long time listener

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    Let me rephrase that a little then. Tourists had awe. Locals who get to go frequently of course are not going to be impressed by a little paint. But since it's the paying tourists who are the bread and butter of the parks, spending multiple days in hotels, eating meals and buying souvenirs, and they did love the 50th, my statement stands. The 50th was a huge bid to get tourists in and it did work. Family and friends who went from all over the country raved on it and told co-workers and friends and etc. New rides every year and new shows every year are for local APs who come multiple times a month and need something new constantly to keep things "fresh" for them.

On another topic, I also am not seeing a need for such disappointment over the PP shops. So many more important things to work on, and these will get done in time.
    Thanks for the re-phrase, I think we're a bit closer in state of mind now.

• Decor Extraordinare

Quote Originally Posted by SS77 View Post
    Yeah, they've looked pretty bad since BEFORE World of Color premiered. I remember seeing them broken like back in May. Shame.
    I watch WoC from the back about 50% of the time and haven't noticed these "broken hinges." Anyone have a closeup of them?
    "I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."
    --------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Kablary View Post
    I watch WoC from the back about 50% of the time and haven't noticed these "broken hinges." Anyone have a closeup of them?
    To clarify, it's not the actual hinges, but the decorative ones that hide the real ones during the day. So it's what you see before the "lighthouses" unfold that are an eyesore.

• Decor Extraordinare

^That's what I figured. I went through Disneygeek's new update looking for a shot of them and found one, yet they still look fine to me.
    "I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."
    --------------------------------------------------