Big changes coming to Disney California Adventure
Disney California Adventure plans to temporarily close corridors, shut down venues and stop its parade as crews work on a major, $1 billion overhaul of the theme park.
Disney next year will start finishing major projects of the five-year, park makeover, which is set to be completed in 2012. New jobs are set to begin in early January, said John McClintock, a Disneyland Resort spokesman. Click on the photo to see a slideshow of before, during and after artwork of Disney California Adventure, as well as other planned changes.
The biggest project will come in the entrance area of the park, which will transform into Buena Vista Street — an area meant to look like Southern California when Walt Disney began his career here. The park’s entrance will move temporarily at the end of summer.
Pixar Play Parade is set to go on hiatus for most of the year as crews repave and close major corridors. Check the blog tomorrow for a story on entertainment changes in 2011.
Most attractions will remain open during construction, McClintock said.
Here is a schedule of construction projects, which is subject to change: Jan. 4:
- Letter statues: Construction walls will start going up around the “California” letters statues in front of the park’s turnstiles. Crews plan to remove the statues.
- Sunshine Plaza: Inside the park, the walls will come out farther around the Sunshine Plaza, where a sunburst statue and fountain used to sit. The corridors will become narrower. Read a previous story about the Disney Sunshine Plaza.
- Corridor closed: The major corridor between Sunshine Plaza and the Grizzly River Run mountain, which veers right after the park entrance, will be closed. Visitors instead can get to “a bug’s land” and Pacific Wharf by going through the Hollywood Pictures Backlot and through “a bug’s land” back entrance by the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror ride.
- Shops and restaurants closed: Restaurants and a shop on the right side inside the entrance will be closed, as walls go up for more Buena Vista Street construction. The closures will be at: Baker’s Field Bakery, Bur-r-r Bank Ice Cream and Engine-Ears Toys.
- Entrance changes: Visitors will go through new turnstiles at the entrance. But they will be funneled right into a pathway behind the Soarin’ Over California ride to the Condor Flats area where they will enter the park. Most of the Sunshine Plaza area will be blocked, including the Greetings from California store. The entrance change is slated to stay until summer 2012.
While construction is underway at the entrance, new venues are set to open in the spring in the Paradise Pier area: The Little Mermaid – Ariel’s Undersea Adventure, Goofy’s Sky School and a dining-shopping complex. Opening dates have yet to be announced. [ FULL STORY ]