Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Zephyr Pilot

Re: does this summer mean a return to the good old days at Disneyland?

Quote Originally Posted by Goliath View Post
    Now this summer, we have Celebrate (as awful as it is) on Main St., Aladdin in the Hyperion, Princess Tiana's show in NO, Fireworks and Fantasmic still going strong, Pixar Parade (again...only so so, but there nonetheless) and at looong last World of Color, along with the Glow Fest. Is it me or all we finally starting to see a bit of the Can't-do-it-all-in-one-day experience we grew up, where there was always something to see and do? I'm excited by this, and hope that the park continues in this direction.
    Billy Hill & the Hillbillies... The Laughing Stock Co....

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Well I'll tell you one thing World of Color means that DCA is now a official Disney Park and will have a lot of traffic this summer.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

With the items you listed, they initial question should have said "Disneyland Resort" not just "Disneyland".

Disneyland entertainmentwise is lacking CONSIDERABLY!

In Disneyland, there is NO stage show.

Festival Arena remain EMPTY, reserved only for private corporate events

Fantasyland Theater is still HACKED apart, for the cheap and unappealing PFF. The entire theater is being misused and underused, for a cheap meet and great, that you can't even glimpse at the princesses visiting with others. WHY hide the princesses in the meet and greet. And the coronation thing they do is just unappealing compared to the shows that USED to be in the same facility, and which USED to attract a MUCH wider variety of guests and a MUCH higher number of guests, with a MUCH higher quality of entertainment.

The Princess Tiana mini/show sometime mini meet and greet is an abissmal failure compared to Princess Tiana's Showboat Jubilee last November and December. The mini Tiana show is even LESS appealing than the previous show with Queenie!

There are no Can Can Gals in the Golden Horseshoe

The Billy Hill Show has been downsized to a mini show.

There is no Indiana Jones show, Aladdin show, or even Aladdin storytelling in the former Tahitian Terrace location.

There is NO FREAKIN' PARADE IN DISNEYLAND!!!!!!!! FOR THE 2nd FREAKIN' YEAR in a row!!!!!

The Electrical Parade has been shipped off to WDW for possibly up to 2 years!

THANKFULLY they haven't taken away the Summer Fireworks show YET! BUT, they have taken away the Fall Fireworks Show!!!

You even admit that the Celebrate street party is "Awful". Nothing good about "Awful"

Then don't forget, this is suppose to be DL's 55th Anniversary!!! But what do they do for decorations?????? They just use used decorations FROM LAST YEAR!!! They don't even bother to add any special "55th" signage in the party hats on the lampposts or on the ugleeeee envelope on Christmas Tree point!

F! got updates, but that was done for last year.

There is NOTHING new at DL this summer!!!! Only merchandising has done a couple things for the 55th Anniversary, and that is even somewhat held back by only declaring "Since '55".

It's like DL management doesn't give a crap about DL's 55th Birthday!

DL ain't anywhere near close to where it should be, FOR ANY NORMAL YEAR, let alone a "Golden Age"
    As for DCA, yes that park got WoC this year. But DL get squat!

(Not to mention that Tomorrowland is STILL a MESS.)

HECK DCA even steals DL's 35th Anniversary song for Carnivale of Color.

It may be DL's 55th Birthday, but it's sure not being treated like "the good old days".
    Last edited by Aladdin; 06-09-2010 at 06:06 AM.

• Minion

Disneyland has become Jan Brady while DCA has become Marcia Brady.

"Well, all day long at school I hear how great Marcia is at this or how wonderful Marcia did that! Marcia, Marcia, Marcia!"

• Grumpy is as Grumpy Does!

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    With the items you listed, they initial question should have said "Disneyland Resort" not just "Disneyland".

Disneyland entertainmentwise is lacking CONSIDERABLY!

In Disneyland, there is NO stage show.

Festival Arena remain EMPTY, reserved only for private corporate events

Fantasyland Theater is still HACKED apart, for the cheap and unappealing PFF. The entire theater is being misused and underused, for a cheap meet and great, that you can't even glimpse at the princesses visiting with others. WHY hide the princesses in the meet and greet. And the coronation thing they do is just unappealing compared to the shows that USED to be in the same facility, and which USED to attract a MUCH wider variety of guests and a MUCH higher number of guests, with a MUCH higher quality of entertainment.

The Princess Tiana mini/show sometime mini meet and greet is an abissmal failure compared to Princess Tiana's Showboat Jubilee last November and December. The mini Tiana show is even LESS appealing than the previous show with Queenie!

There are no Can Can Gals in the Golden Horseshoe

The Billy Hill Show has been downsized to a mini show.

There is no Indiana Jones show, Aladdin show, or even Aladdin storytelling in the former Tahitian Terrace location.

There is NO FREAKIN' PARADE IN DISNEYLAND!!!!!!!! FOR THE 2nd FREAKIN' YEAR in a row!!!!!

The Electrical Parade has been shipped off to WDW for possibly up to 2 years!

THANKFULLY they haven't taken away the Summer Fireworks show YET! BUT, they have taken away the Fall Fireworks Show!!!

You even admit that the Celebrate street party is "Awful". Nothing good about "Awful"

Then don't forget, this is suppose to be DL's 55th Anniversary!!! But what do they do for decorations?????? They just use used decorations FROM LAST YEAR!!! They don't even bother to add any special "55th" signage in the party hats on the lampposts or on the ugleeeee envelope on Christmas Tree point!

F! got updates, but that was done for last year.

There is NOTHING new at DL this summer!!!! Only merchandising has done a couple things for the 55th Anniversary, and that is even somewhat held back by only declaring "Since '55".

It's like DL management doesn't give a crap about DL's 55th Birthday!

DL ain't anywhere near close to where it should be, FOR ANY NORMAL YEAR, let alone a "Golden Age"
    As for DCA, yes that park got WoC this year. But DL get squat!

(Not to mention that Tomorrowland is STILL a MESS.)

HECK DCA even steals DL's 35th Anniversary song for Carnivale of Color.

It may be DL's 55th Birthday, but it's sure not being treated like "the good old days".

WOW!!!! EXCELLENT!!!!! BRAVO!!!! Aladdin for Mayor of DLR!!!!! You coulda written speeches for the candidates yesterday!!!!

• Banned User

I'M just glad the corndog cart is still there.....heh heh heh..

• gyre & gimble in the wabe

@Goliath: I totally see what you mean, they are starting to step up the entertainment and I enjoy your optimism.
    Feed the Birds. It's not just a song, it's a way of life.

• Sock Puppet

I agree with Aladdin, but I don't share your anger, cause well, I have other things to think about. That being said, I'm not saying it's good enough, I'm asking if this is getting back to those day. Which I guess you answered. Like I said before, I really think the lack of decent movies, (yeah Pixar is funny, but rarely stands the test of time) is a big contributor to this.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Well, for the sake of argument let's say the "Golden Age" could be typified in the year 1995.......

---Years since last E Ticket opened...................1995 = 1.......2010 = 16

---Number of Mountain's built in last 20 years......1995 = 3........2010 = 0

---Main St. Electrical Parade on Main St..............1995 = Yes....2010 = No

---Average off season wait(in min) for Peter Pan...1995 = 5.......2010 = 30

---Resort Tram transportation to Main Entrance.....1995 = Yes...2010 = No
    Resort Monorail transport. to Tomorrowland.......1995 = Yes...2010 = Kinda

---Country Bears, Keel Boats and Peoplemovers......1995 = Yes..2010 = No
    Circle Vision, Rocket Jets and Fort Wilderness.....1995 = Yes..2010 = No

New entertainment is nice and all, but is Disneyland Park really headed towards a new Golden Age.....I don't think so
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Senior Minion

^ Bingo. Add the difference in land-specific and DL-unique merchandise available 20 years ago, compared to the crap they sell today.

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Quote Originally Posted by Goliath View Post
    I agree with Aladdin, but I don't share your anger, cause well, I have other things to think about. That being said, I'm not saying it's good enough, I'm asking if this is getting back to those day. Which I guess you answered. Like I said before, I really think the lack of decent movies, (yeah Pixar is funny, but rarely stands the test of time) is a big contributor to this.
    It's frustration with the entertainment slowly being chopped away to minimal standards, which have me vocally speaking up, this time. But it was when classic attractions were being chopped away in Tomorrowland, and the lackluster cheap crap that pressler continued to throw at DL, with Pooh, Light Magic, TL'98, and DCA, which got my eyes to pay attention to these types of problems that ended up costing the DLR MUCH MORE, in the long run.

BUT when they do the right thing, I am quick to point it out.

I haven't seen WoC in person yet, but it looks like a good addition to the night entertainment. AND I still want to see some of the fountains used on a limited basis during the day ~ hopefully that is still being worked on, as Steve Davison had talked about in one of his interviews.

BUT of the extras that were added to DCA evenings, one of the Biggest surprises were the additions of 5 Disney Character Puppets in Carnivale of Color. WOW! even from just the videos, those look INCREDIBLE!!!!!! And I hope they build upon those 5 Puppets and develop and Add to those, perhaps even as a part of an Entirely new Main Street Electrical Parade. And the 5 characters adds some Physical Characters, which WoC is lacking!

One other thing that DOES need recognition in DL entertainment is Tiana's Showboat Jubilee. A great show like this has proven that it deserves to stay around for a while. BUT DL entertainment management gave it the equivalent to what could be considered "being shoved under a bus"! This Show was Abolutely SPECTACULAR!!!! It's DEFINITELY one of the VERY BEST live action shows that the DLR has EVER had! And to see that it only operated for only two mere months is an absolute shame! Especially considering that entertainment management has choosen to operate other entertainment that is pure drek, over the Showboat Jubilee.

When entertainment does "accidently" hit on something as great as the Showboat Jubilee, WISE management should know enough to bring it back! And a great show like this shows that DL live entertainment can do the amazing. But if and when DL entertainment managers aren't smart enough to recognize when they really do have a hit, or act on it, THEN Concern arises once again that the WRONG people are in charge of entertainment. And it's something that needs to be noted.
    Last edited by Aladdin; 06-09-2010 at 01:08 PM.

• Dream in wonderful color!

Entertainment at DL, it's really the only time I can agree with you!

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    BUT of the extras that were added to DCA evenings, one of the Biggest surprises were the additions of 5 Disney Character Puppets in Carnivale of Color. WOW! even from just the videos, those look INCREDIBLE!!!!!! And I hope they build upon those 5 Puppets and develop and Add to those, perhaps even as a part of an Entirely new Main Street Electrical Parade. And the 5 characters adds some Physical Characters, which WoC is lacking!

One other thing that DOES need recognition in DL entertainment is Tiana's Showboat Jubilee. A great show like this has proven that it deserves to stay around for a while. BUT DL entertainment management gave it the equivalent to what could be considered "being shoved under a bus"! This Show was Abolutely SPECTACULAR!!!! It's DEFINITELY one of the VERY BEST live action shows that the DLR has EVER had! And to see that it only operated for only two mere months is an absolute shame! Especially considering that entertainment management has choosen to operate other entertainment that is pure drek, over the Showboat Jubilee.

When entertainment does "accidently" hit on something as great as the Showboat Jubilee, WISE management should know enough to bring it back! And a great show like this shows that DL live entertainment can do the amazing. But if and when DL entertainment managers aren't smart enough to recognize when they really do have a hit, or act on it, THEN Concern arises once again that the WRONG people are in charge of entertainment. And it's something that needs to be noted.
    The puppets in Carnivale of Color look fantastic. And I agree about the Showboat Jubilee - it was amazing and created a unique atmosphere throughout NOS. Even if you hadn't seen the movie, the procession of dancers and music through the streets of NOS was incredible to see.

It reminds me of the Snow White musical, it was removed so quickly from the FL theatre. I thought it was a great production.. and it only lasted like what, 2 years I think? Aladdin is still going strong at almost 8 years, but I guess it was easier and more profitable to turn that space into Princess merch-land. Good thing the Hyperion can't be easily switched out like that, they're forced to keep a show in there whether they like it or not.
    - Adventure Is Waiting -

"We're going to take you out of this world of reality for a visit to the most fantastic of all the worlds of fantasy." - Walt Disney

• Cars Land Rocks!

A stage show at Disneyland and a real parade during the day we'll bring it closer to the good old days at the park. I don't like the idea management seems to have that we gave you a big show at DCA, so we don't need to do anything else at Disneyland.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by DubiousEndeavors View Post
    Can't wait to see what ICe says!
    Entertainment at the resort is quite frankly god-awful compared to the Golden Age. Unquestionably and undoubtedly

Yes there are 1 or 2 shining star like Fantasmic, Aladdin, and possibly World of Color but you are really, really unaware of the capabilities of the Imagineers if you would call Disneyland's entertainment line up good.

Just saying Summer Nightastic this year includes:

Fantasmic - Nothing new

Magical! - A mixed reviewed show that simply isn't as spectacular as it's predecessor.

Toy Story Mania - A joke

Pixie Hollow - Another joke

Glow Fest - C!ASP pooped all over Hollywood Pictures Backlot which is trying to reinvent itself as Hollywoodland.

World of Color - A show with a very high mountain to climb in order to meet expectations

TLT Dance Club - Its like Glow Fest's mini me

Please, please, please Disney if you do a seasonal event do it right. George Whatever, go to Hong Kong Disneyland and Tokyo Disney Resort to see how it is REALLY done and come back. Implement that into Disneyland and I am sure we will all learn you name then.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    Well I'll tell you one thing World of Color means that DCA is now a official Disney Park and will have a lot of traffic this summer.
    I completely disagree. One Disney quality attraction doesn't mean the park is instantly Disney quality. Absolutely not. I would still say DCA is not a Disney Park until it gets a real entrance, a very detailed Carsland, a cohesive and complete Paradise Pier, and Hollywoodland.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast