Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Sock Puppet

Thumbs up does this summer mean a return to the good old days at Disneyland?

So I've been thinking, with all the entertainment going on, it's starting to feel like the Golden Age of Disneyland again. Some of you remember the late 90s, when we had Lion King Celebration by day and Electrical Parade by night marching down Main St., along with Pocahontas at the Fantasyland Theatre, Hunchback in the Festival Arena, Fireworks in the skies, and Fantasmic at the River. Not to mention the smaller entertainment pieces throughout the park.

Now this summer, we have Celebrate (as awful as it is) on Main St., Aladdin in the Hyperion, Princess Tiana's show in NO, Fireworks and Fantasmic still going strong, Pixar Parade (again...only so so, but there nonetheless) and at looong last World of Color, along with the Glow Fest. Is it me or all we finally starting to see a bit of the Can't-do-it-all-in-one-day experience we grew up, where there was always something to see and do? I'm excited by this, and hope that the park continues in this direction.

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Re: does this summer mean a return to the good old days at Disneyland?

We are improving but in no way is the age Golden yet. I see ourselves getting there in a few years if quality improves, DCA gets the love and money it needs to become a detailed park, and Disney continues to get touched up from corner to corner.

• Dream in wonderful color!

and don't forget the recently announced Carnivale of Color - Larger-Than-Life Carnivale-Style Puppets Kick Off the Party at ‘World of Color’ Pre-Show Disney Parks Blog

it will be a great summer at the resort.
    - Adventure Is Waiting -

"We're going to take you out of this world of reality for a visit to the most fantastic of all the worlds of fantasy." - Walt Disney

• Grumpy is as Grumpy Does!

Some of the shows/parades you mentioned "Lion King Celebration", "MAIN Street Eelctrical Parade", Hunchback Festival of Fools, etc so far outshine the sad substitues we have now I can't say we are back to where we once were but it will be a FANTASTIC summer nonetheless!

• Seeker of Fun

Let me say again how AWFUL the backlot area looks w/ that glow fest garbage looking decorations.
    Stockholder and Walt Disney Autograph holder!!

• let's talk Disney, okay!

I have yet to see the Tiana "show". Everytime I am in the park, she comes out singing, does a meet and greet, and leaves singing.

I think we are still WAY far off from what you want to happen. We should have DOUBLE what there was in the late 90's, since we have TWICE as many parks now.

So to say that we are returning to the good old days of Disneyland is a GROSS overstatement!

Can't wait to see what ICe says!

The Few, The Proud, The Fans Fan of Light Magic!

• Senior Minion

Better? Yes.

Comparable to the standards of the Golden Age of Disneyland? Not even close.

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

•   
    • Support MC - Go GOLD!

Quote Originally Posted by TrevorD View Post
    We are improving but in no way is the age Golden yet. I see ourselves getting there in a few years if quality improves, DCA gets the love and money it needs to become a detailed park, and Disney continues to get touched up from corner to corner.
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDude View Post
    Some of the shows/parades you mentioned "Lion King Celebration", "MAIN Street Eelctrical Parade", Hunchback Festival of Fools, etc so far outshine the sad substitues we have now I can't say we are back to where we once were but it will be a FANTASTIC summer nonetheless!
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Apples4Disney View Post
    Let me say again how AWFUL the backlot area looks w/ that glow fest garbage looking decorations.
    Quote Originally Posted by DubiousEndeavors View Post
    I have yet to see the Tiana "show". Everytime I am in the park, she comes out singing, does a meet and greet, and leaves singing.

I think we are still WAY far off from what you want to happen. We should have DOUBLE what there was in the late 90's, since we have TWICE as many parks now.

So to say that we are returning to the good old days of Disneyland is a GROSS overstatement!

Can't wait to see what ICe says!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Better? Yes.

Comparable to the standards of the Golden Age of Disneyland? Not even close.

Agree!
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

• Disneyland History Lover

I think when they finally decide to redo Tomorrowland and attempt to use the wasted space in Frontierland will DL come the closest it has to it's "golden age" days. But until that happens (especially in the case of Tomorrowland), I don't think the park will be quite there.

• Queen Elsa

Don't forget we also have the return of the Princess Cornaion back at Princess Fantasy Faire. Only other thing that would help is the return of Merlin and the sword that would be a great thing to see plus have more characters out then before.

I don't know; I rate my Disney "golden ages" according to attractions and immersive theming of lands and areas. Shows from the entertainment dept. don't even enter the equation for me, except for the negative effect of shutting vast portions of the park down as far as their proper uses go.

• Blew By You

Golden Years equals to a High Point Year? Hardly. But for a change, there's lots of energy gonna happen this summer. DCA takes a rare center stage. That's certainly a high point. Park hopping may increase this summer, which is another high point. Actually make an evening choice of where to spend time is yet another high point. This could be a Golden Year for DCA

• I see mouse people

Blog Entries

I'd disagree. Not only do I not think the 90's were the 'golden days' of Disneyland, but I look at parades and shows as distractions offered by Disney to keep people from thinking about how there hasn't been a new "E-ticket" ride in years; some of the theming has disappeared; an entire land (tomorrowland) is a disaster; that overall most standards have dropped and guests now pay more and more for less and less, and do it in a badly overcrowded environment. It's the Disney equivalent of a sleight-of-hand trick.

• Sock Puppet

I agree. We're certainly not there yet, but my point is that I'm hoping this is a push in the right direction. The park hasn't been this busy in years. I think the main problem is that Pixar just doesn't lend itself to the classic staying power of 2D films, therefore entertainment and rides based on them (which were the bread and butter of ther 90s) can't thrive.

Parades and shows never distracted from rides because back then, the shows were SO strong! Again, the lack of source material is crippling them now.

As far as complaints about over crowding, it's popular and that's the name of the game. If you're there, you choice to be just like everybody else. Get over it.

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Pixar could have staying power if the execution of past Management regarding quality was present in editions during the last few decades.

Whatever franchise is incorporated needs to be incorporated properly lending itself as an improvement to the theme of the area it occupies tied seamlessly to the neighboring themes and attractions. As importantly the ride itself must be visually compelling and exciting offering an escape to a world never possible without the magic of Disney.

I urge any skeptical readers to believe that whether Pinocchio, Wall-e or Ironman, the character doesn't matter if the execution is done right. Indy will never be released in "The Classics" or "Walt Disney's Masterpiece" collections but the ride is on most levels one of the best Disney has ever designed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast