• Baloo...I am your Father!

Doom Buggies audio...

I'm a frequent reader of Mice Chat, but just decided to join today. (LOL! I don't know why it took so long. IT"S FREE!!) Anyhoo, I have a question about the Haunted Mansion Doom Buggies.

When the Haunted Mansion was first built, how did they do the audio tracks for each individual "buggy"? Or did each buggie even HAVE it's own audio track like it does today? I'm wondering this, because in our age of digital technology, it would be VERY easy to have all the audio on-board in compact solid-state electronics, versus back when it was built in the days of analog audio tapes and records.

Does anybody have an answer for me? I'm picturing each "buggy" had it's own continuous tape reel somewhere under the seat. LOL! Please tell me I'm wrong.

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

Re: Doom Buggies audio...

Quote Originally Posted by Dadoo View Post
    I'm a frequent reader of Mice Chat, but just decided to join today. (LOL! I don't know why it took so long. IT"S FREE!!) Anyhoo, I have a question about the Haunted Mansion Doom Buggies.

When the Haunted Mansion was first built, how did they do the audio tracks for each individual "buggy"? Or did each buggie even HAVE it's own audio track like it does today? I'm wondering this, because in our age of digital technology, it would be VERY easy to have all the audio on-board in compact solid-state electronics, versus back when it was built in the days of analog audio tapes and records.

Does anybody have an answer for me? I'm picturing each "buggy" had it's own continuous tape reel somewhere under the seat. LOL! Please tell me I'm wrong.
    When it opened it had sound in the doombuggies.
    The system has been updated,
    but it's still done the same way (3 buggies put in a group and all 3 get the information (spiel) at the same time).

Someone more on the high tech side can explain it better.

http://doombuggies.com/history4.php
    http://doombuggies.com/history5.php
    Last edited by DLFreak71; 06-08-2010 at 05:12 PM.
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

• Minion

Tape machines used to broadcast the audio via radio.

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Ghost View Post
    yeah, that
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

4. Doom Buggy

The black shell-shaped cars that glide atop the Omnimover track in Disney's Haunted Mansion ride that allow the passenger to see only what is directly ahead.
    According to Chef Mayhem at doombuggies.com, a doom buggy is "a black carriage that can hold up to three passengers and is equipped with high fidelity stereo speakers that broadcast audio received through a digital signal."

Urban Dictionary: Doom Buggy
    Quote by Al:
    -Al Lutz

• The Study of Wumbo

I thought I read something like, there are little transmitters in the track, and when the Doombuggy runs over them, it plays a certain clip. If the ride stops, the Ghost Host finishes the sentence, (or so,) but it's not like it's out of sync for the rest of the ride.

But it must be different in Holiday mode. On the Mousetalgia podcast, in a report the host said that the audio on HMH was 15 seconds slow when they rode it.

Curious, very curious...
    -Hale (wumbology)

a.k.a. h2mc, omnimover.mousetalgia, omnimover, wumbology, hogbackmtn, hhmcsharry, Hale M., h2m, h2mc

(I've never visited Disneyland Resort, Tokyo Disney Resort, Disneyland Resort Paris, nor Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, so don't be fooled when I pretend to know what I'm talking about. [But I'm pretty good with the information, if I do say so myself. And you can hit me all you want with Walt Disney World.])

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DLFreak71 View Post
    4. Doom Buggy

The black shell-shaped cars that glide atop the Omnimover track in Disney's Haunted Mansion ride that allow the passenger to see only what is directly ahead.
    According to Chef Mayhem at doombuggies.com, a doom buggy is "a black carriage that can hold up to three passengers and is equipped with high fidelity stereo speakers that broadcast audio received through a digital signal."

Urban Dictionary: Doom Buggy
    The sound in the doombuggies is monaural. Nowadays it is a digital radio signal that is broadcast when the buggies pass a transmitter that tells the system to play the loop to that group of buggies as it passes that particular transmitter. Prior to that it was essentially the same, except that the audio source was a tape cartridge and an analog signal.

I was trying to keep it simple as the OP requested in my original reply.

• Baloo...I am your Father!

The sound in the doombuggies is monaural. Nowadays it is a digital radio signal that is broadcast when the buggies pass a transmitter that tells the system to play the loop to that group of buggies as it passes that particular transmitter. Prior to that it was essentially the same, except that the audio source was a tape cartridge and an analog signal.

I was trying to keep it simple as the OP requested in my original reply.
    That TOTALLY makes sense! I didn't think of the tape machine/raido set up.

I bet that is why some people experience "ghostly" things with their electronics (video cameras, wheel chairs, etc.) when on the ride. Possibly radio interference causing all those "strange happenings".