Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Tomorrowland Concept: Flynn's Arcade

If Disneyland is hell-bent on having an arcade in Tomorrowland, why not make it something truly unique and an "experience"? The current one doesn't offend me, but they could do better than something you'd see at your local mall in SmallTownWherever, USA. No need to have the deer hunting games, or the grab-a-stuffed animal, or all the rest of that junk.

What I propose would be enclosing the lower level, leaving the entrance in front, by the Star Trader, but with a new interior wall separating their spaces. A sign outside would identify it as "Flynn's: Home of TRON" in the classic movie font.

Inside, the design would be "sleek, Blade Runner-futuristic", black walls with futuristic lighting structures holding black lights, red, blue, and green neon tubes lining them, and perhaps black-light re-designed posters of vintage Disney films that fit such a treatment: Alice, Fantasia, Tron of course, Something Wicked This Way Comes, 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea, etc etc.

The games offered would be a mix of retro classics (X-Men arcade game, Pac-Man, Centipede, Donkey Kong, Space Invaders), custom-designed, Disneyland exclusive arcade games (a retro-style Woody's Roundup game featuring Woody and Jessie trying to save the little woodland critters from an abandoned mine or a runaway train), a Haunted Mansion side-scroller, an Alice In Wonderland game, and a Virtual Space Mountain ride-simulator.

Besides these, the "stars" of the location would be a row of 5 or 6 Tron machines against the back wall, enough so that guests aren't waiting for just one machine to play. The X-wing fighter above could also have it's space enclosed, windows darkened, and lit up dramatically from the sides, hovering over the arcade. Along one side wall would be the "prize booth" as featured in most arcades that spit out tickets, but this would be a merch counter. It should feature exclusive Tron merchandise: Flynn's and Tron shirts, McFarlane style movie figures, art prints, maybe even "laser disc" frisbees that glow in blacklight/the dark.

This concept would truly enhance the area, I think, and bring something unique to the park, with some "Disneyland only" offerings, while still retaining the basic space as it exists today. Folks looking to only play arcade games would come in and find things to do, while "enthusiasts" would find a unique space with unique offerings. Your thoughts?

Re: Tomorrowland Concept: Flynn's Arcade

I like it! Though making an arcade w/ nostalgic games is a violation of theme i'd rather have this, in theme would be something truly futuristic w/no arcades at all think project natal or the interactive room from the top of the rock (google it)
    Armchair Imagineering!:

The Grand Cinema Journey? (Name ideas welcome)

Concept Map! (Thread to follow)
    Grizzly Peak Mining District

• Shablagoo!

Actually I would love to see a Flynn's arcade. But instead of in the park, I would rather it be in downtown Disney. That way it can suck in all the quarters of the hotel guests and visitors during the times Disneyland is closed.

• Glad to hear: Flynn Lives

I had this thought a while back a swell (burried in some thread somewhere). Thanks for fleshing it out, though

Seriously, they really need to do this. If you have seen any of the videos from Comic Con last year, it just begs to make this a semi-permanent attraction.
    Daffy: How's this for a new team name: The Ducks!
    Bugs: Please! What kind of Mickey Mouse organization would name their team The Ducks?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Tony is hoping that Disneyland can get a Flynn's Arcade...so, keep your fingers crossed

• Retired

Centipede... I built the prototype and the first 25 units.

• Grumpy is as Grumpy Does!

I have never (for the life of me) even as a kid myself have ever understood why anyone would want to go to Disneyland and spend hour(s) in a video arcade! OMG you can play video games ANYWHERE (including home).. how many of us have a Splash Mountain or Space Mountain in our home? I don't get it... could use that space for something alot cooler

I totally agree GrumpDude. I'd actually hate it if Disney spent money on 'theming' the arcade (and guarenteeing it will stay for a few years longer) when that cash could go towards upgrading and adding things to other parts of Disneyland. Disney doesn't even run that arcade! They lease it to an outside company.

Technically though, it doesn't break its (own established) theme... the supposed reason it has old games is because the arcade is for games "past, present and future".... cringe.

Beastly Kingdom
    ? Sci-fi City? Pirateland? Port Disney? Discovery Bay?
    My website: The Neverland Files - all about Disney projects that never got built!
    My blog: Disneyology - Imagineering news and commentary!

• Retired

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDude View Post
    I have never (for the life of me) even as a kid myself have ever understood why anyone would want to go to Disneyland and spend hour(s) in a video arcade! OMG you can play video games ANYWHERE (including home).. how many of us have a Splash Mountain or Space Mountain in our home? I don't get it... could use that space for something alot cooler

I stopped trying to figure that out back in 1977. People just love putting quarters/tokens in the coin slot. And they put in a lot!

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDude View Post
    I agree in theory, but Disneyland does seem intent on having an arcade for whatever reason, so I figured they could at least put effort into making an arcade something "special"..hence the idea!

• knower of useless info

i like this theming a lot, if they're hellbent on keeping it an arcade. at least make it something to look at!

i'd love to see it opened up between floors and those build-your-own rollercoaster simulator machines from wdw pulled in. perfect futuristic addition, i think.

• How Peculiar

I love this idea! The arcade they have now is just a place with games, nothing special. I'd love a Flynn's arcade there instead.

those build-your-own rollercoaster simulator machines from wdw pulled in. perfect futuristic addition, i think.
    Yes! I've always wanted those roller coaster creators that WDW has. I've always built mine, but never really experience the feeling. That would be awesome.
    Fighting just to survive but you taught me I can.

• Banned User

I think the best idea for the Starcade is to have it disappear entirely.

• Banned User

I've got to agree with ICe, take away the Starcade, replace it with a new sit down restaurant (the land already has two, soon to be one [read on], quick service restaurant), get rid of the Pizza Port and replace it with something worthwhile (Alien Encounter) and replace Eo with anything other than a show based on video screens of any sort.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by icepenguin77 View Post
    I've got to agree with ICe, take away the Starcade, replace it with a new sit down restaurant (the land already has two, soon to be one [read on], quick service restaurant), get rid of the Pizza Port and replace it with something worthwhile (Alien Encounter) and replace Eo with anything other than a show based on video screens of any sort.
    What do you mean by video screens. Are you saying you don't want any more 3D movies there anymore

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast